• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Awkward

Awkward

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:05 PM

Hey i just bought the Roxio Creator special edition 2010 and i tried burning a dvd with the Data Disc program and when i burnt it..my dvd player can't read it am i using the wrong program or something wrong of what im doing?

#2 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,058 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:17 PM

Video-DVD discs are written in a special way, which is very different from data discs.

To make a Video-DVD you need to create and burn the DVD with 'MyDVD'. This program converts your video into the proper sort for a DVD, creates the Video_TS folder and its contents, and formats the disc to the proper specs for a Video-DVD.

A Video-DVD made this way should play in almost every DVD player.
P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,
DVDRW IDE 16X, in Windws XP, 7, and 8

"I did it"

#3 bccdavid

bccdavid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:21 PM

Thanks Brendon. Can you tell me what you mean by "MyDVD"?  I'm having the same problem - spent 100+ hours on a movie and when I burn it to a DVD, I can't play it in any DVD player or on my computer. I'm using Creator 2010 and chose "Create DVD" in the menu.

#4 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,902 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE (bccdavid @ May 4 2010, 11:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Brendon. Can you tell me what you mean by "MyDVD"?  I'm having the same problem - spent 100+ hours on a movie and when I burn it to a DVD, I can't play it in any DVD player or on my computer. I'm using Creator 2010 and chose "Create DVD" in the menu.

myDVD is the program from C2010 that runs when you chose "Create DVD".

You will have to explain a bit more what you did to create the DVD. "I can't play it in any DVD player or on my computer" does not tell us very much.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#5 bccdavid

bccdavid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 05:42 AM

Thanks Walt. OK, I went to Roxio Creator 2010/Video Movies/Create DVDs. The movie I want to burn is loaded in the Project View.  I select "file/burn project to disc".  The Disc Drive is "TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-L632H D400"The capacity of the disc is 4706.1 mb.  The project size is 2602.5 Mb.  The speed is 4.0 X.  It burns but then won't play on my computer or either of my 2 DVD players.

Do you need to know anything else to help me?  Thanks,

#6 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,466 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 05:51 AM

QUOTE (bccdavid @ May 8 2010, 07:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Walt. OK, I went to Roxio Creator 2010/Video Movies/Create DVDs. The movie I want to burn is loaded in the Project View.  I select "file/burn project to disc".  The Disc Drive is "TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-L632H D400"The capacity of the disc is 4706.1 mb.  The project size is 2602.5 Mb.  The speed is 4.0 X.  It burns but then won't play on my computer or either of my 2 DVD players.

From the Home Screen, what does it say about the disc? What type of DVD Disc are you using DVD-R, DVD +R, or DVD-+RW?

3.jpg

Disc_info.jpg

cd

cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Computer Specs click show.
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
3.Click here CD-DVD Speed
4.Click here CD-DVD Speed - A user guide
5.Click here Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x.
6.Click hereYou can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
8.Click here  How to uninstall IE 7 and WMP 11.
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
11.Click here   Complete Uninstall of Creator 2011 & Creator 2012
12.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows Vista and 7)
13.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows XP)
14.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 9 & 10 on Windows Vista  
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility
17. Click here Finding Your Computer Specs And Roxio Software Version Number.

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

Do not post your email address on any public forum!  

#7 bccdavid

bccdavid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 06:22 AM

With a BLANK disc inserted, it says:
DVD-R, Blank Media
4489.2 MB
0.0 MB

I inserted a DVD that I had burned.  The Info from the "Inserted Disc" reads the same (blank media, number of tracks = 0, etc.)  However, the "Disc, Sessions and Tracks" shows a different icon of a "DVD-R, Blank Media".

It appears that nothing burned.

By the way, I was able to transfer the finished movie to my iPad.

Thanks for all of your help guys.

#8 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,466 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 06:24 AM

QUOTE (bccdavid @ May 8 2010, 08:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With a BLANK disc inserted, it says:
DVD-R, Blank Media
4489.2 MB
0.0 MB

I inserted a DVD that I had burned.  The Info from the "Inserted Disc" reads the same (blank media, number of tracks = 0, etc.)  However, the "Disc, Sessions and Tracks" shows a different icon of a "DVD-R, Blank Media".

It appears that nothing burned.

By the way, I was able to transfer the finished movie to my iPad.

Thanks for all of your help guys.

What does used space say?

cd
cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

#9 bccdavid

bccdavid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 07:44 AM

Used space is 0.  When I put it in a DVD player, it says "cannot read disk".  When I put it in my computer, nothing appears on the DVD.  It is blank.

#10 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,466 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 07:51 AM

QUOTE (bccdavid @ May 8 2010, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Used space is 0.  When I put it in a DVD player, it says "cannot read disk".  When I put it in my computer, nothing appears on the DVD.  It is blank.

Re-do a project, on the burn screen uncheck the burner and check image file..

Then use Video Copy and Convert to burn the image file to a DVD...

8.jpg

cd
cd
Spoiler

#11 bccdavid

bccdavid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 08:08 AM

Thanks, I'm trying that now.  You guys are awesome!

#12 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,466 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 08:22 AM

QUOTE (bccdavid @ May 8 2010, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks, I'm trying that now.  You guys are awesome!

Question, are you on the same PC that's transcoding the video at the same time your posting here?

cd
cd
Spoiler

#13 bccdavid

bccdavid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:16 AM

Yes.  Do I hear a warning that this may cause problems? (burning and doing things on the computer at the same time?)
Recording to the computer (disk image file) was quick. Now I'm burning to the DVD.  45 minutes in and I'm at 25%.
It looks like it's going to work this time.  I appreciate everyone's help with this.

#14 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,466 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:29 AM

QUOTE (bccdavid @ May 8 2010, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes.  Do I hear a warning that this may cause problems? (burning and doing things on the computer at the same time?)
Recording to the computer (disk image file) was quick. Now I'm burning to the DVD.  45 minutes in and I'm at 25%.
It looks like it's going to work this time.  I appreciate everyone's help with this.

Yes leave the pc alone!

The image file shouldn't of been that quick.

Now I'm burning to the DVD.  45 minutes in and I'm at 25%.

Your encoding and burning at the same time if it's that slow..

Burning a single layer DVD from a image file at 8x should take about eight minutes!

cd
cd
Spoiler

#15 bccdavid

bccdavid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:53 AM

OK, so I'm obviously not leaving the PC alone (as I'm typing this reply to you).  I went to Video Copy & Convert and chose "Convert Video" at the top.  I clicked on "movies" and found the file. It's 35 min long. I chose Output as "DVD" and slid the slider to "highest quality".  I also chose "save file to "Disk/Disk Image".  I'm now at 31% (35 minutes after my last post I have gained 6%).  Should I stop this burning and do something different?

#16 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,466 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 11:04 AM

QUOTE (bccdavid @ May 8 2010, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK, so I'm obviously not leaving the PC alone (as I'm typing this reply to you).  I went to Video Copy & Convert and chose "Convert Video" at the top.  I clicked on "movies" and found the file. It's 35 min long. I chose Output as "DVD" and slid the slider to "highest quality".  I also chose "save file to "Disk/Disk Image".  I'm now at 31% (35 minutes after my last post I have gained 6%).  Should I stop this burning and do something different?

What happen to this project? I thought we were working in My DVD?

QUOTE (bccdavid @ May 8 2010, 07:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Walt. OK, I went to Roxio Creator 2010/Video Movies/Create DVDs. The movie I want to burn is loaded in the Project View.  I select "file/burn project to disc".  The Disc Drive is "TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-L632H D400"The capacity of the disc is 4706.1 mb.  The project size is 2602.5 Mb. The speed is 4.0 X.  It burns but then won't play on my computer or either of my 2 DVD players.

I don't have a clue what you loaded into Video Copy and Convert (VC&C) Convert Video? If it's taking that long it's a compressed avi or mpeg file?

I thought we were making a image file in MyDVD? Then load that into VC&C, Copy DVD, navigate to the saved image file and burn that to a DVD Disc?

9.jpg

cd

cd
Spoiler

#17 bccdavid

bccdavid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:19 PM

Thanks cd.  I had to stop working on this (Mother's day, you know).  I was using My DVD, but saw in your previous post about "converting" so I chose the "Convert Video" by mistake.

OK, I have created an image file and then tried to copy from the image file to the DVD. You're right - it only take a few minutes.  You can tell the DVD has info on it (you can see the difference on the DVD). I tried to play the DVD on my 2 DVD players but it won't work.  It tries to read it and the DVD player even counts trough the chapters (6 of them) but it won't play.  I put the DVD in 3 different computers.  On my laptop, it shows the name of the file but I can't get Roxio, Power DVD RX or Microsoft Media Player to play it.  Media Player will open it & I can choose the first menu button (to start the program), but when I select the first chapter, it freezes up.  My other two computers won't even open the DVD.

I'm using a DVD-R (16x) by HP.

What else can I tell you to help me with this issue?  I really appreciate all of the help - especially the pictures with arrows.  You're a great help!

#18 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,902 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 01:28 PM

QUOTE (bccdavid @ May 10 2010, 04:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks cd.  I had to stop working on this (Mother's day, you know).  I was using My DVD, but saw in your previous post about "converting" so I chose the "Convert Video" by mistake.

OK, I have created an image file and then tried to copy from the image file to the DVD. You're right - it only take a few minutes.  You can tell the DVD has info on it (you can see the difference on the DVD). I tried to play the DVD on my 2 DVD players but it won't work.  It tries to read it and the DVD player even counts trough the chapters (6 of them) but it won't play.  I put the DVD in 3 different computers.  On my laptop, it shows the name of the file but I can't get Roxio, Power DVD RX or Microsoft Media Player to play it.  Media Player will open it & I can choose the first menu button (to start the program), but when I select the first chapter, it freezes up.  My other two computers won't even open the DVD.

I'm using a DVD-R (16x) by HP.

What else can I tell you to help me with this issue?  I really appreciate all of the help - especially the pictures with arrows.  You're a great help!

I hope you have finally stopped using the computer while doing the burn rolleyes.gif  Also shut down any running apps, disconnect from the internet, ie stopped anything that can interupt a burn. .

What does the DVD show when you look at it using Windows Explorer. You should have a Video_TS folder and inside that folder there should be a number of files with the extension ifo,bup and vob. If you don't have that then you don't have a video DVD. unsure.gif

I don't understand what you mean by "the DVD player even counts trough the chapters (6 of them) but it won't play"?

Edited by myguggi, 10 May 2010 - 01:31 PM.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#19 bccdavid

bccdavid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:08 AM

I hope you have finally stopped using the computer while doing the burn  Also shut down any running apps, disconnect from the internet, ie stopped anything that can interupt a burn. .

I have. Thanks for the tips on internet and any running apps. I hadn't done that yet.

What does the DVD show when you look at it using Windows Explorer. You should have a Video_TS folder and inside that folder there should be a number of files with the extension ifo,bup and vob. If you don't have that then you don't have a video DVD.

There is a Video_TS folder.  Inside it are 11 files. 3 have "ifo" and 3 have "bup".  I don't see any with "vob" extensions. There are 5 other files (VTS_01_1, VTS_01_2, VTS_01_3, VTS_02_1, VTS_02_2).

I don't understand what you mean by "the DVD player even counts trough the chapters (6 of them) but it won't play"?

This was new to me too.  The DVD player display (where it says the time or what track your on when a movie is playing), counted through "1", "2", etc. as it was trying to read the DVD. It went to 6, which is the # of chapters I have in this movie. I assumed there was a correlation - trying to read the DVD.

#20 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,466 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:31 AM

When you look at the DVD, click tools (up top) Folder Options, View Tab, is Hide Extensions for Know File Types checked?

If so uncheck it click apply and ok, now do Vob extensions show? What does Get Disc Information show from the Home Page, Tools, Get Disc Information?

18.jpg

16.jpg

cd

Edited by cdanteek, 11 May 2010 - 07:32 AM.

cd
Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users