jmb86

Tivo Transfer crashing

Question

I'm using Toast 9.0.7 and Tivo transfer v 2.0a7. I'm running an imac with 10.6.3. Ever since I upgraded to Snow Leopard I've had issues, but now EVERY time I try to transfer something from one of my tivo players the tivo transfer crashes. Any suggestions?

13 answers to this question

I'm not sure which version of TiVo transfer is included with the Toast 9.0.7a update but I'm pretty sure it isn't an alpha version. I suggest downloading the latest Toast 9 update to replace your existing Toast 9 folder. Be sure to mark that you want TiVo transfer in the Toast setup assistant.

Have similar problem, only am using Toast 11. On my MacBook Pro TiVo Transfer works fine. On my Mac Pro it crashes. I've tried reinstalling it many times, even tried searching for any & all preferences in Library and deleting - same thing, crashes. I am going to try and see if a previous version (If I can find it) will work. The Mac Pro is running Lion 10.7.5, the MacBook Pro is running Mountain Lion 10.8.3 - the only major difference. The Mac Pro is a 2006 dual 3.0 GHz four core (not quad core), the MacBook Pro is a 2.33 GHz i7 quad core.

Frustrating...

Tom

Have similar problem, only am using Toast 11. On my MacBook Pro TiVo Transfer works fine. On my Mac Pro it crashes. I've tried reinstalling it many times, even tried searching for any & all preferences in Library and deleting - same thing, crashes. I am going to try and see if a previous version (If I can find it) will work. The Mac Pro is running Lion 10.7.5, the MacBook Pro is running Mountain Lion 10.8.3 - the only major difference. The Mac Pro is a 2006 dual 3.0 GHz four core (not quad core), the MacBook Pro is a 2.33 GHz i7 quad core.

Frustrating...

Tom

At what point does the crash occur? Is it at the start of the transfer? I wonder if there is something in one of the libraries that is causing a conflict. See if TiVo Transfer works after starting up the Mac Pro in Safe Mode. I'm not having issues with it in 10.8.3. Make sure a location is selected for saving the video in TiVo Transfer Preferences. You might also change that location to see if that helps.

At what point does the crash occur? Is it at the start of the transfer? I wonder if there is something in one of the libraries that is causing a conflict. See if TiVo Transfer works after starting up the Mac Pro in Safe Mode. I'm not having issues with it in 10.8.3. Make sure a location is selected for saving the video in TiVo Transfer Preferences. You might also change that location to see if that helps.

Clicking on the TiVo Transfer icon, the icon bounces a few times in the Dock and the crashes. Never get to trying to transfer. The Crash Report has a bunch of tech stuff saying when the crash occurred but no clue as to why. I'll try Safe Mode and another user just in case it is something in the current user's settings/preferences.

Tom

All of a sudden TiVo Transfer started crashing on my MacBook Pro (8,2), Mavericks 10.9.2. But it had been working just a few weeks ago. I'm trying a reinstall right now, we'll see how that goes. Tried looking for the TiVo Transfer Preference, trashed it - no difference. My other issue of it crashing was on my Mac Pro, I don't know what the cause is there but logging out and back in as another user and the app launched. Can't imagine what to do to figure out what's up there. Probably will do the same here on the MBPro. I'll try and come back and let you all know.

Tom

Logging out of the user where TiVo Transfer is crashing and into another user and the application works. So, any suggestions what to do to make it work on the other user. It is my main user and I don't want to delete it and start from scratch. There's got to be an offending file somewhere since it isn't the app. Need suggestions. Would like to transfer some files but logging out to do it seems counter intuitive to me.

Tom

Search for TiVo in your User>Library>Preferences folder and trash the plist file(s) to see if that works. If you're running OS 10.8 or 10.9 the user library is accessed by holding down the option key when selecting the Go menu in the Finder.

Search for TiVo in your User>Library>Preferences folder and trash the plist file(s) to see if that works. If you're running OS 10.8 or 10.9 the user library is accessed by holding down the option key when selecting the Go menu in the Finder.

I've tried trashing the plist file(s) and still have TiVo Transfer crashing. Using 10.9.2 on a MBPro. This crashing is recent, but has been doing on my Mac Pro (Lion 10.7.5) for a while. I just tried again today by logging into another user and TiVo Transfer launches great. Something, I don't have any idea, in the main user is bad. Not the app for sure if it works in another user. Don't know what to do to try to find what the problem is. Could delete that user but as you can imagine it has a lot of stuff I use regularly since it is the same user I've used for years. I'm going to try and install the 10.9.2 Combo update and see if that works, used to fix things in the past (the combo updater) but I don't know if it still will.

Tom

On a possibly related topic... Read on TiVo that TiVo Desktop (Mac) was no longer being supported. Thought it might be the culprit so I deleted the preference pane and preference, still TiVo Transfer crashes. Not sure if that can be connected to it or not. BTW, there was no new plist for TiVo Transfer once I deleted it, but was there in the other user I tried. So I copied that plist to the main user's Library with no change. Love the little program, allows me to keep TiVo programs on disk rather than cluttering up my TiVo. Didn't we used to be able to transfer these back to the TiVo? I thought the Mac2TiVo program in Toast did that. I can launch that, it shows on the TiVo menu but no files.

Thanks for your insight, Digital Guru.

Tom

Well... I figured it out, I think. For the longest time I've kept the transferred files out of my Home Directory on another partition. I then created an alias for that partition directory and copied it to my Home Folder/Documents. Thinking TiVo Transfer would see it and - no problem. I just paged up to re-read this thread, tried deleting the alias in Documents, created a new folder titled "TiVo Recordings" and launched TiVo Transfer. It runs. What the heck?? Can the fact that there was an alias there be the cause??? I guess so since TiVo Transfer works now. Spread the word!! :)

All I can say is wow. Hard to believe it was that simple.

Tom

Well, TiVo Transfer now works great on both the MacBook Pro and Mac Pro. All I did was create a directory in my Home Folder/Documents titled "TiVo Recordings" and deleted the alias I had put there. Hard to believe it was that simple. It has been a LONG time the Mac Pro was not able to run TiVo Transfer. I used to use it exclusively since it is my network base (sort of a server) which has all my external storage connected to it and all my networked devices have access. But when the app started crashing I had no idea what the trouble was since everything worked okay on the MBPro. Not sure why the MBPro started crashing since I had that alias there for a long time. No matter - problem solved. Make sure there is a "TiVo Recordings" in your Home Folder!​ You can change the destination directory in the app, but leave that folder there; not going to fool around anymore. :)

Tom

• Like 1

...Love the little program, allows me to keep TiVo programs on disk rather than cluttering up my TiVo. Didn't we used to be able to transfer these back to the TiVo? I thought the Mac2TiVo program in Toast did that. I can launch that, it shows on the TiVo menu but no files.

Thanks for your insight, Digital Guru.

Tom

TiVo Desktop enabled the TiVo to play music from your iTunes and display photos from iPhoto. I wasn't aware it no longer works with OS 10.9 because I have better ways to do access those on my TV. My TiVo is displaying the music and photos from my iMac that is still running OS 10.8. So I guess I can remove TiVo Desktop from my MBP running 10.9.2.

As for Mac2TiVo, it does not work with the .tivo video files. It might work with the mpeg video that's inside the .tivo package. I have a third-party tool called TiVo Decoder that extracts the mpeg video from the .tivo package.

Mac2TiVo is still working on my MBP but I use other ways to stream home video to the TV. Mac2TiVo does things differently. The video must be in a folder and the folder gets added to Mac2TiVo. You then can transfer the video by selecting it in the folder that appears at the bottom of your My Shows folder. It supports both SD and HD video. You can start playing the video while the transfer is in progress but you might catch up and have to wait. Once transferred from the Mac the TiVo automatically deletes it after 24 hours.

My version of Mac2TiVo is 1.2.1. If that isn't your version I can arrange to get it to you.

Edited by tsantee

TiVo Desktop enabled the TiVo to play music from your iTunes and display photos from iPhoto. I wasn't aware it no longer works with OS 10.9 because I have better ways to do access those on my TV. My TiVo is displaying the music and photos from my iMac that is still running OS 10.8. So I guess I can remove TiVo Desktop from my MBP running 10.9.2.

As for Mac2TiVo, it does not work with the .tivo video files. It might work with the mpeg video that's inside the .tivo package. I have a third-party tool called TiVo Decoder that extracts the mpeg video from the .tivo package.

Mac2TiVo is still working on my MBP but I use other ways to stream home video to the TV. Mac2TiVo does things differently. The video must be in a folder and the folder gets added to Mac2TiVo. You then can transfer the video by selecting it in the folder that appears at the bottom of your My Shows folder. It supports both SD and HD video. You can start playing the video while the transfer is in progress but you might catch up and have to wait. Once transferred from the Mac the TiVo automatically deletes it after 24 hours.

My version of Mac2TiVo is 1.2.1. If that isn't your version I can arrange to get it to you.

My Mac2Tivo just updated to 1.2.1 when I launched it to see what version it was. Thanks. And thanks for the clarification about the file name issue with it and moving files back to the TiVo. I have another way of streaming files to, but would have to extract the mpeg file for them too.

My old Series 3 is short of disk storage, even with an expander, since I have a lot of Mecum Auctions recorded. I like to have them run in the room when I'm working so I record new and old ones.

As for the TiVo Desktop, I don't think it's not compatible with OS X 10.9 just that TiVo wasn't supporting it anymore and you can't locate it on their site. I have a copy (I think) on an external storage drive. So I can reinstall it since it wasn't the issue with TiVo Transfer crashing.

Thanks for all your help.

Tom