• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 AnnWillie

AnnWillie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 05:59 PM

Operating System - Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)
Intel ® Core ™ i7 CPU 860@2.8 GHZ

After using the "Create DVD" option on Creator 2010 for several months, we now get an "ERROR:  Unable to load skin" message when we click the "Create DVD"  option.

I contacted Roxio support and followed their directions to the letter, which include
(1) Remove any Roxio and Sonic program using the "Add or Remove Programs, option"
(2) tried the "Windows Installer Clean Up Utility,"
(3) displayed hidden folders and deleted the folders listed by Roxio support from the hard drive,"
(4) created a new Administrator account before reinstalling Creator 2010.  I installed Roxio before installing Roxio Content.
Result - Same error message displayed.
I again contacted Roxio support, but I have had no return communication for them.

I taught computer applications for many years and know that the failure to follow directions specifically as given can cause hugh problems.  As I am still waiting to hear from Roxio support, I decided to once again follow the directions that they originally sent hoping that it was simply me.  Again--the same result--ERROR:  Unable to load skin.

Has anyone else had the same problem?  If so, were you able to solve the problem.  I would appreciate and help and suggestions.

#2 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,943 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:27 PM

QUOTE (AnnWillie @ May 14 2010, 09:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Operating System - Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)
Intel ® Core ™ i7 CPU 860@2.8 GHZ

After using the "Create DVD" option on Creator 2010 for several months, we now get an "ERROR:  Unable to load skin" message when we click the "Create DVD"  option.

I contacted Roxio support and followed their directions to the letter, which include
(1) Remove any Roxio and Sonic program using the "Add or Remove Programs, option"
(2) tried the "Windows Installer Clean Up Utility,"
(3) displayed hidden folders and deleted the folders listed by Roxio support from the hard drive,"
(4) created a new Administrator account before reinstalling Creator 2010.  I installed Roxio before installing Roxio Content.
Result - Same error message displayed.
I again contacted Roxio support, but I have had no return communication for them.

I taught computer applications for many years and know that the failure to follow directions specifically as given can cause hugh problems.  As I am still waiting to hear from Roxio support, I decided to once again follow the directions that they originally sent hoping that it was simply me.  Again--the same result--ERROR:  Unable to load skin.

Has anyone else had the same problem?  If so, were you able to solve the problem.  I would appreciate and help and suggestions.

So what did you change on your computer that all of a sudden caused the error to appear? After all the program worked fine for several months.  Reinstalling Roxio will propably not be much help since some has changed on your system succh as a new program installed or a windows update.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#3 REDWAGON

REDWAGON

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,855 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:27 PM

Try following the suggested steps in the following link:

http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/conte...S=set-locale=en

There are several steps that you mentioned you have completed, but there are quite a few more steps that need to be completed also that you didn't mention. Check out the link above and see if you completed all of the required steps for a clean uninstall of your Roxio Creator 2010.

Frank...
REDWAGON

5 Custom Built ASUS/ Intel Computers

3 with Windows 7 Pro Retail Operating Systems
2 with Windows 8.1 Pro/WMC Operating Systems

1 HP laptop with W7 Pro OS (HP OEM)
1 Apple iPAD2 & 1 iPhone 5 OS7

#4 AnnWillie

AnnWillie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:05 PM

QUOTE (myguggi @ May 14 2010, 08:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So what did you change on your computer that all of a sudden caused the error to appear? After all the program worked fine for several months.  Reinstalling Roxio will propably not be much help since some has changed on your system succh as a new program installed or a windows update.

myguggi,

Thanks so much for your reply.  We don't use Roxio on a daily basis so we are not sure exactly when the problem starting occuring; however, we suspect that a Windows update could be the cause.  Thanks again!

QUOTE (REDWAGON @ May 14 2010, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Try following the suggested steps in the following link:

http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/conte...S=set-locale=en

There are several steps that you mentioned you have completed, but there are quite a few more steps that need to be completed also that you didn't mention. Check out the link above and see if you completed all of the required steps for a clean uninstall of your Roxio Creator 2010.

Frank...

Frank,

Roxio Support referred me to the information in your link so we have tried all those steps.  In fact, I tried them again this morning, but we are still getting the same error message.  We don't use Roxio on a daily basis so we aren't exactly sure when the problem first occurred, but we suspect that a Windows update may have caused the problem.  That is just a guess; but at this point, we can't think of anything else.

I really appreciate your reply.  Thanks so much.

#5 Sonic Boom

Sonic Boom

Digital Master

• Roxio Staff
  • 668 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:22 AM

This is a Microsoft XML 4 issue. Please update to SP3

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Du Tran
Quality Assurance Lead (I break things, I don't fix them)
ROXIO, a division of Sonic Solutions

#6 AnnWillie

AnnWillie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE (Sonic Boom @ May 17 2010, 10:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Digital Master,

You are an absolute genius!  Thank you so much.  My husband and I are senior citizens who feel comfortable with Roxio so we thank you so much for solving our problem.

Ann Willie

#7 GGranec

GGranec

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:24 AM

QUOTE (AnnWillie @ May 17 2010, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Digital Master,

You are an absolute genius!  Thank you so much.  My husband and I are senior citizens who feel comfortable with Roxio so we thank you so much for solving our problem.

Ann Willie

Hi,       I had the same error(unable to open skin) in My DVD and VideoWave in Creator 2010. I was using Windows 7 Home edition. I tried doing a clean install twice with no change. I had recently added a router so I could connect a Wii to the internet. I corrected the problem by doing a system restore to a date before I addded the router. I also was getting an R6025 error in the manage media program which also was corrected by doing the system restore. By doing the system restore I had also gone to a date before the last Microsoft update. After system restore I did the last Microsft update one file at a time with no problems. I did not do the optional recalls again which I had done before so it could be possible the errors were caused by those files.

GGranec

#8 JustJim

JustJim

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:11 PM

View PostSonic Boom, on 17 May 2010 - 09:22 AM, said:

<a href="http://www.microsoft...displaylang=en" target="_blank">http://www.microsoft...playlang=en</a>
I had a similar problem. I followed these instructions and installed XML 4, which solved my problem, thank you. Any idea what causes this step to need to be taken when a previously working Creator 2010 Pro suddenly stops working with the problems stated (unable to load skin)?
Did some other app do something to the Microsoft XML software to change it or what? Any way, thanks again.
Jim

#9 gi7omy

gi7omy

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,033 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:11 PM

More than likely it was a MS 'critical' update that did the changing (that's happened a lot in the past)
If it ain't broke, fiddle with it until it breaks, then fiddle with it until you get it fixed

"Rincewind could scream for mercy in nineteen languages and just scream in another forty-four "

"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee; that will do them in."

“Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.” — Mitch Ratcliffe

Daithi

Home Brew computer
Intel I7 950 on Gigabyte X58A UD3R mobo
12 GB Three Channel DDRAM
Radeon HD4850 512 MB GDR3 graphics
Signalink USB Audio Codec for ham radio connection
1 x 160 GB, 1 x 330 GB, 1 x 400 GB IDE drives
4 x 250 GB SATA 2
LG HL-DT-ST GGW-H20L BD-RE drive
22" Acer P223W monitor

EMC 7.5 on Windows XP 32 SP3
EMC10 on Windows XP64 SP2
Creator 2011 on Windows 7 Ultimate
ECD6 on Gentoo Linux (running under VMWare)

#10 Ima Rookie

Ima Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:18 PM

I am now having this error message and reaching out for help. Like Roxio users in previous posts I don't use my computer often but I do make note of program changes. I have changed virus software from comcast provided norton to trend micro antivirus 2010. Not sure if that would have any effect but something that has changed. I downloaded the microsoft update provided in the link and still received the same message. Now this has happened with my computer once before and I have referred and downloaded the same updates in an attempt to rectify my problem and was successful and was in dvd heaven. What should I do? Is there something I am not doing right. I downloaded the updates. Is there a specific order of installation or anything?

#11 brianbug

brianbug

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:27 PM

View PostSonic Boom, on 17 May 2010 - 09:22 AM, said:

<a href="http://www.microsoft...displaylang=en" target="_blank">http://www.microsoft...playlang=en</a>

Many many thanks - applying this fix ie updating MSXML 4.0 from SP2 to SP3 in my Windows 7 OS using the link provided fixed these crashes/hangs/errors I was getting using Roxio Creator 2010 :-
1. "Unble to load Skin" when trying to use MyDVD or Videowave
2.  No output file generated when using Video Convert (regardless of what output type selected)

brilliant - can now use Roxio for what I intended !

Edited by brianbug, 10 January 2011 - 01:29 PM.

#12 Stins

Stins

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 07:30 PM

I had this problem too. I took 2 steps to resolve it:

1) Download and install MSXML 4.0 SP3;
http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

2) Right click on Roxio Creater 2010 shortcut, Select "Run as Administrator".

Worked Great. Note that without step 2, I still got the message.

Vista 32bit Ultimate
I7 Intel
Nvidia VC.

#13 Just_250

Just_250

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:58 AM

After downloading having the same problem and reading all the solutions and not getting anywhere I read this comment below which fixed the problem.

"2) Right click on Roxio Creater 2010 shortcut, Select "Run as Administrator".

Fixed my problem so after trying the msxml download and getting the same error try right clicking your roxio creator 2011 desktop shortcut and running as administrator.

:blink:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 BIT

View PostStins, on 29 January 2011 - 07:30 PM, said:

I had this problem too. I took 2 steps to resolve it:

1) Download and install MSXML 4.0 SP3;
http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

2) Right click on Roxio Creater 2010 shortcut, Select "Run as Administrator".

Worked Great. Note that without step 2, I still got the message.

Vista 32bit Ultimate
I7 Intel
Nvidia VC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users