Roxio Community

Audio sync (& other glitches) w. 10.4.6 / I've NO idea? (help)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 joshycorn

joshycorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 02:43 PM

Hi, this is my second post on this site.  Would like to thank tsante for his previous help.  Hopefully he (or anyone else) can help me with my NEW DILEMMA:

Just upgraded my mac mini (tiger osx / intel duo core..) to the most recent 10.4.6v

Now..everything "seems" to go through all the stages of the burn just fine, *both on popcorn 1.0.3 & Popcorn 2.......BUT......when i go to play the disk various little "screen glitches (that look like some sort of defragmentation?)" appear randomly...and...THE AUDIO IS TOTALLY OFF SYNC.  Also the movies won't start from the beginning w. the previews etc.  *Basically all sorts of errors...

Now prior to this i was working with popcorn 1 w. the 10.4.5 version..and everything was totally fine.

And...i'm positive it's not the media.  I'm using the same media i was using before.  Even rechecked my other movies (of the same media) in my dvd player..and they're still playing just fine.  *Moreso...i did TONS of "tests / experiments" on both popcorn 1.0.3 and popcorn 2...on BOTH..my internal (matshita) burner & my (firewire connected) external plextor.  I used the two different types of media that i'd had 100% perfect burns with on my internal matshita (Sony & Memorex).  Again, tried both 1.0.3 and 2.  I used the "correct" (maxell -R) media with my plextor with both 1.0.3 & 2.  Did regular burns & also mounted the image & burnt the copy that way ....ETC...ETC...ETC...(every possible combination i could try).   Sorry to sound confusing..but what i'm saying is that i tried EVERYTHING in regards to media, the diff. versions of popcorn, my two different burners etc.  So the problem is definitely not related to any of those variables.  It "appears" to be a problem i'm having w. the Tiger 10.4.6 upgrade***.

I even trashed mac the ripper & both versions of popcorn...corrected the permissions on disk utility...rebooted...reinstalled mtc & popcorn 1 & 2 ETC..ETC..ETC........SAME EXACT ERRORS!

And, again (at the risk of being even more repetitive):  The actual burn process "seems" to be fine.  It's not until i play the disk in my dvd player (actually both my dvd players!)...and on my computer even....that the errors begin.  And "again" these errors are wierd graphic glitches & major errors in the AUDIO SYNC!

Any help would be soooooo extremely appreciated.  I love burning movies.  I'm on the computer all day (w. my computer business)...and it's just a great little past time that i take a lot of pleasure in...and i'd LOVE to get this figured out.  I stated this in my other post..but i've had several other problems with this mini mac..and am begginning to second guess the switch from a windows pc.  

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY INCOMING SOS RESPONSES!!!

josh

#2 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,599 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 06:28 PM

Glad I was able to help before. I don't know this time. Roxio is not saying that Popcorn 1.x works with Intel Macs. Popcorn 2 is their release for your Mac. I don't have an Intel Mac so I can't confirm this but I think your only solution is to purchase the new version or to use Popcorn 1 only on the PowerPC Macs.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#3 joshycorn

joshycorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 08:37 PM

Hi Tsante!  Thanks again for trying to help me out.  I DO have popcorn 2.  It's giving me the same exact results as popcorn 1 & 1.0.3.  I'm really really frustrated.  Like i said...i had 100% success on my intel duo core using popcorn 1 before my upgrade to osx (tiger) 10.4.6.   So you maintain, it's a problem w. the intel core?  I must admit i'm way confused here.  As much as i use computers (which is like all the time) i've never been terribly technical.  So...what should i do to be able to continue to burn flicks?  Toast 7?  Another program?  At this point i've already blown a sad amoutn of cash on popcorn & the upgrade to pop 2...as well as memory etc.  With my dsl connection things are going a bit better.  But i really really want to continue burning movies.  Any suggestions that you think would truley solve this?  Like i said..if i have to fork over some more cash for new software that's fine; just wanna' get back to burning flicks without the constant problems.  On the old pc...nero & dvd shrink worked FLAWLESSLY (and totally FREE!!!) with all media etc.  So..is it the mac platform?..popcorn?...what?  

Just really sick of constantly researching the heck out of everything to get "anything" to work properly~~~

josh

#4 joshycorn

joshycorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 12:05 AM

I am soooo sick of mac and popcorn!!!  "NOTHING" WORKS!!!  I'm taking this p.o.s. mac mini back to the store tomorrow.  I've spent near a thousand dollars in memory upgrades ....software....etc.   Oh yeah...the commercials say to just plug it in and go.  Whatever!!!!!!!   And.....the only reason mac's don't "get" viruses is because pc's consume 90% of the business.  It's NOT because mac's are special....it's only because they're in the minority of computers that could get viruses.  A bunch of guys at the local COMP USA told me so...and that they have a mac, right now, in the back room, that's full of viruses.  On my old pc i ran nero w. dvd shrink....WITHOUT A SINLGE PROBLEM!!!!.  You should not have to constantly check support groups just to have things running the way they're supposed to!!!!!!!   I'm done w. "MAC"!!!!!...AND POPCORN.  Blew money on popcorn 1 only to get popcorn 2....only to get toast titanium......none of which work now since i upgraded to mac osx 10.4.6.  You should not have to go through a bunch of sh** to simply have things work the way they'e supposed to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'M DONE WITH MAC & POPCORN!!!!!

#5 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,599 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 05:45 AM

I'm sorry you've had such a bad experience with your Mac and with Popcorn since updating to 10.4.6. I also apologize for not noticing that you repeatedly mentioned Popcorn 2 as well as 1 in your post.

Popcorn 2 does work with Intel Macs and with OS 10.4.6. The playback problems you are experiencing are not common or these forums would be filled with similar complaints. Yours is the first I've read of this specific issue.

If you still have the temperament to try some more I'd liike you to select your original VIDEO_TS folder and choose Save as Disc Image from the Popcorn 2 File menu instead of clicking the burn button. When it is done you can use Popcorn's Image File setting to locate and open (mount) the disc image. This will launch DVD Player. Do the play back errors still appear?

If they do we know the problem is with Popcorn's compression. If not we know it is with the burning to the DVD.

Since this wasn't an issue with 10.4.5 I also suggest downloading and applying the 10.4.6 combined update from the Apple support site. This is a 145 MB download. There often are problems after an incremental system update (such as from 10.4.5 to 10.4.6) that can be fixed by applying the combined updater on top of the existing OS. It's simple and harmless to do except for the time it takes to download the update.

I know you don't want to blame the media and you could be right. Still, you might try burning at a slower speed. In the Recorder Settings window - after inserting the blank disc - click on the "Best" button and select a slower available speed that's shown in bold face.

If you try any of these things let me know how it turns out.

And the CompUSA guys are making that up about the Mac in the back room with viruses. Telling the truth is not a common virtue of computer and home electronics sales personnel.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#6 joshycorn

joshycorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 07:34 PM

Hi Tsante.

Hadn't checked back on my last post / 'rant' till just now.  Gave up on computer stuff for a few days; busy refurbishing the house.  Anyways..just re-read my last post / rant.  Wanted to make sure you knew i wasn't upset with you..by all means..you've been great.  When i sent that last post it was late at night after a ton of failed attempts & quite a few beers & i was feeling pretty frustrated.  Just threw my frustration "out there"...certainly not at you.  I'n pretty sure you didn't take it that way..but wanted to be sure as you've been nothing but great in trying to help me!

Well...anyways..read what you posted & tried it.  Same (bad) results.  No idea what's up?  Read posts about problems with the upgrade to 10.4.6.....so...did an archive & install.  Made sure the permissions were correct before & after...and prior to that deleted all popcorn / roxio files.  Now...everything should be all clear & "new" & properly upgraded......yet......same results!  Well..guess now, i should archive again...and try the burn at the 10.4.5 to see.  Will do that soon...after a few more experiments & trials.  Still maintain my frustration...but not sure weather to lay the blame on the upgrade or popcorn..or *mac the ripper (*regarding the update)????

AS always...if you have ANY advice i'm all ears!

josh

thanks again tsante!

#7 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,599 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 05:50 AM

View Postjoshycorn, on Jun 26 2006, 08:34 PM, said:

Hi Tsante.

Hadn't checked back on my last post / 'rant' till just now.  Gave up on computer stuff for a few days; busy refurbishing the house.  Anyways..just re-read my last post / rant.  Wanted to make sure you knew i wasn't upset with you..by all means..you've been great.  When i sent that last post it was late at night after a ton of failed attempts & quite a few beers & i was feeling pretty frustrated.  Just threw my frustration "out there"...certainly not at you.  I'n pretty sure you didn't take it that way..but wanted to be sure as you've been nothing but great in trying to help me!

Well...anyways..read what you posted & tried it.  Same (bad) results.  No idea what's up?  Read posts about problems with the upgrade to 10.4.6.....so...did an archive & install.  Made sure the permissions were correct before & after...and prior to that deleted all popcorn / roxio files.  Now...everything should be all clear & "new" & properly upgraded......yet......same results!  Well..guess now, i should archive again...and try the burn at the 10.4.5 to see.  Will do that soon...after a few more experiments & trials.  Still maintain my frustration...but not sure weather to lay the blame on the upgrade or popcorn..or *mac the ripper (*regarding the update)????
AS always...if you have ANY advice i'm all ears!

josh

thanks again tsante!
Thanks for your remarks. I didn't take it personally (you should read some of the rants that are personally directed at me!). I've had similar times and pretty much knew the frustration you are feeling. Clearly you are computer savvy and have a fair amount of experience troubleshooting issues. This one's solution is eluding us both.

Your decision to test again with a 10.4.5 install is the logical next step. Let me know how it goes.

I don't know which version of MTR you're using but the developer has been working for some time on a universal binary that performs where the version 2.x fails. You can read about this at ripdifferent.com.

#8 alrui

alrui

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 06:04 PM

View Posttsantee, on Jun 27 2006, 05:50 AM, said:

Thanks for your remarks. I didn't take it personally (you should read some of the rants that are personally directed at me!). I've had similar times and pretty much knew the frustration you are feeling. Clearly you are computer savvy and have a fair amount of experience troubleshooting issues. This one's solution is eluding us both.

Your decision to test again with a 10.4.5 install is the logical next step. Let me know how it goes.

I don't know which version of MTR you're using but the developer has been working for some time on a universal binary that performs where the version 2.x fails. You can read about this at ripdifferent.com.
I wonder if Josh tried the slower burn speed as you suggested? Ihave had 0 problems with the MTR/Popcorn combo until recently & I believe the problem Ive experienced is media related. I used to use Maxell 8x +r media & I recently picked up some TDK 16x discs then nothing but trouble, I bought some more Maxells but after the same audio drops, etc. occured I noticed they were 16x as well. I tried a burn today & slowed the speed down to 4x in Popcorn & I have yet to have the time to verify if this is the fix but in my mind Im fairly convinced it will do the trick:-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users