• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 computerinfant

computerinfant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:03 AM

Despite its having been on my computer for a while, I am new to toast.

I get the part that, in order to play mp3s in my car, I have to record them onto a disk with toast. What I don't get is why. That is part b of my question.

Part a of my question is - why, when I try to burn mp3 files of less than 500 mb does toast tell me there's not enough free space on the disk?

I have a bunch of mp3 files on my computer, and I started up toast and clicked on 'audio', and then dragged them (all 470 mb of them or whatever) into the window. When I try to burn the disk it says I need much more memory (the figure was quite oddly expressed). What does toast do to the files that they get bigger? And how can I see HOW big they are getting?

#2 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,596 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:23 AM

Did you get an "out of memory" error? If so, that's not what's really wrong although I can't seem to recall what actually makes that error appear. In any case, what you're trying to burn is an mp3 disc that can play in a CD player equipped to play mp3 discs. Is that right? Does your version of Toast have an "MP3 Disc" setting in the Audio window and that is what you're using? If so, at what point does the error message appear? An alternative is to choose ISO9660 as the format in the Data window. Click New Disc and then add your MP3s. This creates the same thing as the MP3 Disc setting except that Toast doesn't check to make certain all the audio files include the .mp3 extension in their file name.

You also can burn MP3 discs with iTunes. Create a playlist containing your MP3 files. Insert a CD-R. Choose Burn disc. Select MP3 disc as the format and burn the disc.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#3 computerinfant

computerinfant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:28 AM

QUOTE (tsantee @ May 19 2010, 06:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did you get an "out of memory" error? If so, that's not what's really wrong although I can't seem to recall what actually makes that error appear. In any case, what you're trying to burn is an mp3 disc that can play in a CD player equipped to play mp3 discs. Is that right? Does your version of Toast have an "MP3 Disc" setting in the Audio window and that is what you're using? If so, at what point does the error message appear? An alternative is to choose ISO9660 as the format in the Data window. Click New Disc and then add your MP3s. This creates the same thing as the MP3 Disc setting except that Toast doesn't check to make certain all the audio files include the .mp3 extension in their file name.

You also can burn MP3 discs with iTunes. Create a playlist containing your MP3 files. Insert a CD-R. Choose Burn disc. Select MP3 disc as the format and burn the disc.

Thanks very much for your message - it helped me make the disk! I changed the settings in the drawer from "audio" to "mp3" and suddenly the amount of memory shrank back down.

I didn't get an "out of memory error", it just told me there was not enough space on the disk when I hit the burn button. And I was trying to burn onto a disk that I could play on my car stereo, which doesn't accept all disks but I'm not sure what its specifications are. I wasnt' using the mp3 setting - I had selected the "audio" tab, and under "format" in the sidebar i'd ticked the button marked "audio cd". But I got the disk I needed in the end.

Great news, but if anyone can spare the time to talk me slowly through it,  I'd still love to know what toast is actually doing to the disk when you choose "audio" instead of "mp3".

One more question: if I drag a whole bunch of files from itunes into toast, and set it to "mp3", do they burn as mp3s, regardless of the fact that they started out as mp4 or wav files?

ONce again many thanks for helping me burn that disk!!

#4 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,596 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:36 AM

QUOTE (computerinfant @ May 20 2010, 01:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks very much for your message - it helped me make the disk! I changed the settings in the drawer from "audio" to "mp3" and suddenly the amount of memory shrank back down.

I didn't get an "out of memory error", it just told me there was not enough space on the disk when I hit the burn button. And I was trying to burn onto a disk that I could play on my car stereo, which doesn't accept all disks but I'm not sure what its specifications are. I wasnt' using the mp3 setting - I had selected the "audio" tab, and under "format" in the sidebar i'd ticked the button marked "audio cd". But I got the disk I needed in the end.

Great news, but if anyone can spare the time to talk me slowly through it,  I'd still love to know what toast is actually doing to the disk when you choose "audio" instead of "mp3".

One more question: if I drag a whole bunch of files from itunes into toast, and set it to "mp3", do they burn as mp3s, regardless of the fact that they started out as mp4 or wav files?

ONce again many thanks for helping me burn that disk!!

When you selected Audio CD Toast reformatted the tracks to comply with the regular audio CD standard. This is uncompressed audio so there it only fits nearly 80 minutes of music to a CD-R. The advantage is it plays in any CD player whereas a MP3 disc requires a player that has MP3 playback capability.

Toast does not have an MP3 encoder. Therefore you must convert your tracks to MP3 using iTunes or another application before adding them to the MP3 disc window. Your other formats may play but that depends on the whether the player you're using can play those formats.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users