• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MacGuy

MacGuy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:13 PM

I'm burning DVD's on Mac with Toast 10 Pro.  It burns completely until last step.  Mac OS error  - Result Code 5001

Will not finish final stage of burning.  Any tips??????

#2 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,513 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:08 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by last step. I'm guessing it means that it happens when Toast is supposed to be writing the lead-out. This error sometimes appears when burning dual-layer DVDs. The problem in that case is the optical drive's firmware doesn't get along well with the particular brand of discs. For instance a lot of people have trouble burning to Memorex dual-layer DVDs. Something you can try as a workaround is to choose Save as Disc Image instead of clicking the burn button. When that is finished, select the disc image file using the Image File setting in the Toast Copy window and then click the burn button. Also, give another brand of discs a try. I recommend Verbatim brand.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#3 Oakacre

Oakacre

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:42 AM

View Posttsantee, on 16 July 2010 - 06:08 PM, said:

I'm not sure what you mean by last step. I'm guessing it means that it happens when Toast is supposed to be writing the lead-out. This error sometimes appears when burning dual-layer DVDs. The problem in that case is the optical drive's firmware doesn't get along well with the particular brand of discs. For instance a lot of people have trouble burning to Memorex dual-layer DVDs. Something you can try as a workaround is to choose Save as Disc Image instead of clicking the burn button. When that is finished, select the disc image file using the Image File setting in the Toast Copy window and then click the burn button. Also, give another brand of discs a try. I recommend Verbatim brand.

I am using Verbatim DL discs. Still get the 5001 Error code. Discs are OK, but toast doesn't recognize that a disc has been burned (if I've ask to burn more than one disc). Also, I have to eject it manually.

I'm using the MacBook Pro internal burner.

I'll see if I can update the drive.

#4 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,513 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:30 PM

View PostOakacre, on 02 April 2012 - 11:42 AM, said:

I am using Verbatim DL discs. Still get the 5001 Error code. Discs are OK, but toast doesn't recognize that a disc has been burned (if I've ask to burn more than one disc). Also, I have to eject it manually.

I'm using the MacBook Pro internal burner.

I'll see if I can update the drive.
I don't know if this is a Toast defect or if it is entirely related to the drive and media. Apple's slot-loading drives are not high quality. If your MBP is a few years old (like mine) its firmware is tuned to the 2.4x-maximum DL discs and today's DL media is formulated to support faster burning. Unfortunately Apple rarely updates drive firmware to support newer media. So this could be an issue with the drive or it could be an issue with Toast. Something you might want to consider is getting an external optical drive for burning DL discs. If your MBP is fairly new there shouldn't be this problem. You could try saving as a disc image in Toast, changing the .toast extension to .dmg and burn the disc using Disk Utility.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#5 DerDicht

DerDicht

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:58 AM

I get the same error, however only when burning from certain rips, so I don't think it is the media.  I ripped two of my dvds for back ups as I was lending them out. One rips and plays fine. The next ripped to the writing lead out stage and then failed with the -5001 error.  The one that worked was a 6.13 Gb rip. The one that failed was a 7.65 Gb rip.  I use Ritek dual layer printable dvds and have never had an issue.  I just replaced my burner as my old burner died. However, I had not tried the one that failed on my old burner.  I wonder if it could be an issue with copy protection - it would seem unlikely as it is in the writing lead out phase of burning.

#6 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,513 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:34 AM

Toast has a problem with DVDs ripped using the application RipIt. If you used that app then that may be the reason. We aren't allowed to discuss copying ripped commercial DVDs in the Roxio forums so I really can't say more than this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users