millenium_03

I'm A New Roxio Easy Vhs-Dvd Owner...

Question

Hello everyone... I just bought the Roxio easy VHS to DVD device. I'm 33 and I'm french canadian, so please excuse my english, I'll try to do my best

Here's some of my wondering...

1. Can we plug the device on a TV and capture "on-time" current tv episode ?? I mean is it possible to capture the pictures and sounds of the tv cable ??

2. Where is the best free website to get dvd cover movie box to print ??

Thanks for answering those question.... probably I'll post more question here as long as I'll "discover" how Roxio works... a lot of fun for sure. I have so many movies on vhs that I want to tranfert...

28 answers to this question

Hello everyone... I just bought the Roxio easy VHS to DVD device. I'm 33 and I'm french canadian, so please excuse my english, I'll try to do my best

Here's some of my wondering...

1. Can we plug the device on a TV and capture "on-time" current tv episode ?? I mean is it possible to capture the pictures and sounds of the tv cable ??

2. Where is the best free website to get dvd cover movie box to print ??

Thanks for answering those question.... probably I'll post more question here as long as I'll "discover" how Roxio works... a lot of fun for sure. I have so many movies on vhs that I want to tranfert...

1: NO :(

2: Probably but I don't know for sure… generally I find it as cheap (and far more legal) and better quality, if I buy a DVD rather than hack my own… ;)

But don't be put off, it is a great product and we are happy to answer questions!

Thanks for the answers...

About the DVD menu creation, Is there other background that we can add ?? I mean when you have to choose your dvd menu title etc etc ?? Is there more image for the background ?

Thanks for the answers...

About the DVD menu creation, Is there other background that we can add ?? I mean when you have to choose your dvd menu title etc etc ?? Is there more image for the background ?

Depends on your version… (see posting at the top)

With the 201B, No the 6 included are all that is available.

With the earlier versions, you can use all they have included and make up anything you want.

I've been able to transfert VHS movie on DVD... that is okay. But the sound was'nt on my PC screen while the capture process. But once the dvd burn, the sound was playing on the tv correctly...

I was wondering of the "quality"... because I put a new blind dvd in my pc. In the setting, the options are: HQ (only 1h00) or the second one (good quality = 2h00).. So I choose the 2 hour option to be sure to fill the whole movie on just one dvd... At the final, the result is'nt that good image is "poor" but sound is okay...

I think my blank dvd are 4.7

Can someone help me ??

One more problem... I've bought blank new dvd to burn... when I put them in my pc... It looks like they're not recognized ?? Setting in Roxio screen does'nt show the free space on the dvd. Look like the dvd is'nt good almost 1/2 brand new pack ?? Is it possible. I think they are 4.71 and I can't put a whole 2 hour movie on those dvd ?? only 1 hour recordable ??

help me !!

One more problem... I've bought blank new dvd to burn... when I put them in my pc... It looks like they're not recognized ?? Setting in Roxio screen does'nt show the free space on the dvd. Look like the dvd is'nt good almost 1/2 brand new pack ?? Is it possible. I think they are 4.71 and I can't put a whole 2 hour movie on those dvd ?? only 1 hour recordable ??

help me !!

What brand of DVD's did you buy? Yes it is possible you bought junk DVDs (store brands, Memorex, Maxell are examples of poor quality DVD)? Have you tried Verbatim?

A standard 4.7 GB DVD can only hold 60 minutes of video, any longer and the video has to be compressed with a resulting loss of quality. 2 hours of VHS video is heavily compressed and would give poor quality. Get some RW DVDs and do some test by putting only 60 minutes on a DVD at best quality and see what it looks like.

I used verbatim ones I think... So, I understand that I can't put an 2 hours vhs movie on just one single DVD ?? I don't know how to compress files anyway. I just plug my roxio and then "capture and burn".

Does that mean that I'll only be able to transfert 2 hours VHS movie --- on 2 dvd ?????

All my movies will be on 2 cd ?????

I used verbatim ones I think... So, I understand that I can't put an 2 hours vhs movie on just one single DVD ?? I don't know how to compress files anyway. I just plug my roxio and then "capture and burn".

Does that mean that I'll only be able to transfert 2 hours VHS movie --- on 2 dvd ?????

All my movies will be on 2 cd ?????

Not CD's DVD's!

Yes, at best quality or use a DL DVD....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007591%2050001649%20600010536&IsNodeId=1&name=DVD%2bR%20DL

So, if I buy those 8.5 GB dvd's... I'll be able to put a whole 2 hours VSH transfert on just one dvd side ??

Because having movies split in two dvd really sucks...

So, if I buy those 8.5 GB dvd's... I'll be able to put a whole 2 hours VSH transfert on just one dvd side ??

Because having movies split in two dvd really sucks...

In post # 4 Jim Hardin asked what version your running?

The answer is?

I have the "blue box" version and I run windows 7 !!

http://1.bp.blogspot.../VHS+to+DVD.jpg

That is exactly what I have purchased !!

A blue box doesn't help me!:lol:

There are three versions with different version #'s.

Go here and tell me what version # you have please..

http://forums.suppor...sion-do-i-have/

I've just check out the roxio version I have....

version 1.2.198 SP2 5.0.0.0

Edited by millenium_03

I've just check out the roxio version I have....

version 1.2.198 SP2 5.0.0.0

Great, the 1.2.198 with SP2 was one of the best versions offered! It is based on Creator 2010 so most of the How To's of 2010 will apply.

Likewise the How To's of 2009, EMC 10 & EMC 9 will also be of use. Browse through those and you will see many of your questions answered in there. ;)

Some other points that need to be clear…

You first question about capture from a TV??? I may have misunderstood. IF your TV actually has OUTPUT you could capture from it!

However, you cannot set a start time, the software does not behave like a VCR

In order to use DVD DL discs, you must have a Burner that can burn to DL discs!!!

We need to know your Burner make & model to address that. Look in the Device Manager:

post-39730-002725100 1281612809.jpg

VHS tapes are not High Quality to start with. If you reduce quality to try to make them fit on a disc, they really look bad!

I suggest you get a disc or 2 of DVD RW to experiment with. They are reusable but great to have for practice!

I just check out my DVD deviced... here<s what it is shown: hp DVD-RAM GH60L ATA Device

So... Does this type of DVD works for double liner dvd... I mean those 8mg DL DVD

Edited by millenium_03

I just check out my DVD deviced... here<s what it is shown: hp DVD-RAM GH60L ATA Device

So... Does this type of DVD works for double liner dvd... I mean those 8mg DL DVD

I would say NOT…

The only one I found, hunting for that drive, indicates it will not work with DL:

post-39730-006626800 1283163172.jpg

Here is a Plan… Get a disc or two of DVD RW's. do some practice burns at HQ (1 hour per disc) and some at SP (1:37) & LP (2:22 hours per disc).

See what they look like to you. Then if you need to replace your drive with a DL capable unit, that is an option.

Hp has a weird sense of humor with changing what a drive is called, Sony and Dell are just as bad!

I would Contact Hp and ask them....

Hp has a weird sense of humor with changing what a drive is called, Sony and Dell are just as bad!

I would Contact Hp and ask them....

Good Idea!

My "source" is incomplete and cd is really good at searching!

If cd doesn't know, it is time to ask :lol:

After some time practicing myself using my roxio... I found out that using the "capture" option I can put my video file on mpg type. That kind of compress my file and this way I can put way more on one dvd. My regular dvd player can read the file I've burn. This way I can put more than one movie on just one dvd...

But... how can I cut "frame" from my file. For exemple I "capture" an simpsons (that is an exemple) episode...How can I cut the publicity spot ?? Is there a way, I can keep the beginning of my capture until (let say 4m35 cut it to 5m35), then record the rest... and do it again on the same episode ?? What prog will allow me this ?

First DVD Movies are based on Time and file size is not really relavent!

A 4.7 GB DVD will hold about 1 hour at HQ… If you are willing to sacrifice Video Quality, then you can get as much as 2 hours on one but it will look BAD!

Still it depends on what you are doing and what is acceptable to you. So I recommend you get a DVD RW disc or 2 and try different settings to see what you think.

This is a LINK to an older How To part of the Forum which has a posting by Jess about how to Zap Commercials.

Give that a read and try it. If you run into trouble post back with your questions.

Try these things out with tests before you take off and try to do something in large scale. Otherwise if you think you will do something one way and it proves to be wrong, you won't waste a lot of time finding that out.

Can I run other application mainwhile I capture video ???

I mean can I go on the internet, listen mp3 files...

Will this get my capture video wrong or lag ??

Can I run other application mainwhile I capture video ???

I mean can I go on the internet, listen mp3 files...

Will this get my capture video wrong or lag ??

Running other apps while capturing can easily corrupt your capture. Using the intermet is a definite no-no, in my opinion. In fact many of us shutdown the internet (as well as any anti-virus) while capturing.

Edited by myguggi

Thanks... I was supposing it could get my capture going wrong. That is why I always just run the Roxio application...

Did'nt know about the anti-viruses scan, sometime my AVG run scan mainwhile I capture, I'll pay more attention to that. But did'nt get any problem yet.

--- I've burn Mpeg video file, they work and can be read on my standard DVD home player. But they does'nt work at my step-father house... Does it mean his dvd player don't read mpeg file ?? Can I convert those file on .avi ?? how and will this work ?

Thanks... I was supposing it could get my capture going wrong. That is why I always just run the Roxio application...

Did'nt know about the anti-viruses scan, sometime my AVG run scan mainwhile I capture, I'll pay more attention to that. But did'nt get any problem yet.

--- I've burn Mpeg video file, they work and can be read on my standard DVD home player. But they does'nt work at my step-father house... Does it mean his dvd player don't read mpeg file ?? Can I convert those file on .avi ?? how and will this work ?

What make/model of DVD player do you have? As far as I know, there are no DVD players that can play mpeg video files if they are burned to a DVD as data. Some DVD players can burn DivX avi file but none can play the captured avi files (DV avi)

Here's the info digital guru...

My DVD is a PHILLIPS progressice scan, DivX, HDMI figure on it. It's a "cheap" dvd player. I bought it at "Wal-mart" about 40$ can.

MODEL DVP 3960....

About my cd-rom driver on my pc. I give the spec earlier in a previous post (DVD deviced... here<s what it is shown: hp DVD-RAM GH60L ATA Device). But when the "door" open, I can see those inscription: DVD R DL, RW, DVD+R DL

Does it mean I can use double line dvd ??? and get twice the gig to put movie on them. Because if so, that would solve my problem about putting one movie on just one dvd, instead of 2 !!

Edited by millenium_03