kingy

Microphone

Question

I used the windows sound recorder to record voice on Microphone and it recorded and played back fine. I used the recorder in Roxio and it recorded and created file but when I play back there is no sound?

Help

Thanks

Steve

12 answers to this question

If it worked in Sound recorder then you should be ok in Control Panel.

So the question is what part of Roxio did you use?

Did you make sure to choose the microphone as the input?

If you don't,mute it,don't have it plugged in or whatever the app will still make a file.It will just be blank.

I used the windows sound recorder to record voice on Microphone and it recorded and played back fine. I used the recorder in Roxio and it recorded and created file but when I play back there is no sound?

Help

Thanks

Steve

What microphone? Some people have trouble with some high end USB Microphones but the old style plugged into your audio card seem to be OK.

Can you get the properties of the audio file?

If it worked in Sound recorder then you should be ok in Control Panel.

So the question is what part of Roxio did you use?

Did you make sure to choose the microphone as the input?

If you don't,mute it,don't have it plugged in or whatever the app will still make a file.It will just be blank.

I have tried in both sound editor and easy audio capture but to no avail

I can see it recording (Levels) and files save fine but on playback (Nothing) strange I know and if I cannot resolve then I can just use windows sound recorder but curious as to problem??

Thanks again

What microphone? Some people have trouble with some high end USB Microphones but the old style plugged into your audio card seem to be OK.

Can you get the properties of the audio file?

I have the old style plugged in to front of Machine (Microphone slot)

Properties, yes I can see them and the file size for example states 2.73 MB

Sure its recording but just cant hear on playback

Tried again with Windows Own Sound recorder and all works fine?

Thanks again

Steve

Check that you have the correct audio input selected in the app

post-2743-003579000 1281364555.jpg

Check that you have the correct audio input selected in the app

post-2743-003579000 1281364555.jpg

Yes, all thats fine and have double checked settings

I tried the Audacity software as well and that also plays back fine so god knows whats up with the Roxio Recorder?

Totally confused

Cheers

Yes, all thats fine and have double checked settings

I tried the Audacity software as well and that also plays back fine so god knows whats up with the Roxio Recorder?

Totally confused

Cheers

What audio card do you have? Roxio audio applications have problems with 24 bit audio; it likes 16 bit. That is what I meant by properties of the file. Right click on it and select properties. Use the tabs and you might get that information.

What audio card do you have? Roxio audio applications have problems with 24 bit audio; it likes 16 bit. That is what I meant by properties of the file. Right click on it and select properties. Use the tabs and you might get that information.

Def 16 Bit

Audio Card is

Soundmax Audio ESP

Thanks

I have tried in both sound editor and easy audio capture but to no avail

I can see it recording (Levels) and files save fine but on playback (Nothing) strange I know and if I cannot resolve then I can just use windows sound recorder but curious as to problem??

After Recoding in Sound Editor, do you see a wave envelope in the window? You don't hear playback in Sound Editor?

Open Sound Editor

Click on Menu TOOLS / Options

Click the 'Select Playback Device' Button

In the drop down, choose 'Default Sound device' first. If that doesn't work, choose 'Speakers'.

post-49-034658800 1281371095.jpg

After Recoding in Sound Editor, do you see a wave envelope in the window? You don't hear playback in Sound Editor?

Open Sound Editor

In the drop down, choose 'Default Sound device' first. If that doesn't work, choose 'Speakers'.

Thanks for Information

I tried as you suggested, the PC only has 2 options (Default) and the sound card SOUNDMAX HD, Tried both options but no success

At a loss here so at the worst I can use Audacity or Windows sound recorder for the Microphone

Can see what else there is to possibly try?

Thanks again

Steve

Open Sound Editor

Missed something, you mentioned about wave editor. Yes, that is there and NO, it plays in sound editor but with NO sound in that either

Cheers

Steve

Open Sound Editor

Hi, I semed to have had some success but dont understand how?

I went ot the TOOLS-EFFECTS-STEREO ENHANCER and increased it to say 100% and now I can hear the sound in sound editor but it seems I have to do this everytime I make a recording?

Is this right?

Cheers

Steve

It sounds as if the problem is in the audio gain - either in the input levels (which I presume you have set to max) or the mic itself just doesn't have a high enough output.

The other possibility is you have it plugged into Line In (which has lower gain than the Mic socket)

Edited by gi7omy

Yes, if that is an unpowered microphone or the batteries are bad, there is not enough power to record properly.

Yes, if that is an unpowered microphone or the batteries are bad, there is not enough power to record properly.

Ok everyone, thanks for help so far, will try a different Microphone and see if that helps

Thanks

Steve