hw_de

Convert Video From .avi (Divx) To .mpg

Question

Dear support,

my dump Sony TV only accept movies streamed in an MPEG-2 format. How can I convert (export) my movies into a .mpg file? I wasn't able to find MPEG-2 within the list of predefined devices (Apple TV, Playstation, Wii, ...). First I tought it is Motion JPEG, but the result filesize is much to small.

Kind regards

Heiko

5 answers to this question

Popcorn only does MPEG 2 encoding as part of making a video DVD. Choose DVD video as the format in the Copy window and add your movies there. Then choose Save as Disc Image. Popcorn then creates a MPEG 2 version of the videos in the Roxio Converted Items folder (inside your Documents folder). When the process of creating the disc image is complete, do not quit Popcorn (because that empties the converted items folder by default). Drag the .mpg files from the converted items folder to another location and rename them. These are now your MPEG 2 files. You can trash the .toast disc image file if you don't need a version playable on DVD players.

Hi tsantee,

thanks, indeed 2 files get created, but that is only half the way down. Looks like Popcorn split video and audio into seperate files. I'll get a .m2v and an .ac3, do you know how to merge them? I tried both files at my TV, but that Sony didn't recognize them, I assume only a single .mpg will made it.

Hi tsantee,

thanks, indeed 2 files get created, but that is only half the way down. Looks like Popcorn split video and audio into seperate files. I'll get a .m2v and an .ac3, do you know how to merge them? I tried both files at my TV, but that Sony didn't recognize them, I assume only a single .mpg will made it.

I forgot about that. Sorry. There are some freeware applications I think that will multiplex the two files. I'm pretty sure MPEG Streamclip does it but it requires Apple's $20 QuickTime MPEG 2 Playback Component. Give a look at ffMPEGX.

I had that plugin from Apple already so I tried MPEG Streamclip. The result MPEG files is very large (a .avi ~ 800MB finally results in a 3.4GB .mpeg, for a ~ 60 minute video). But size isn't really a problem, but I realized that video and audio isn't completely in sync finally - at the end (time: 55 min.) the gap is up to a second. It would be really nice if Roxio can add a direct MPEG export in a single file.

Heiko

I had that plugin from Apple already so I tried MPEG Streamclip. The result MPEG files is very large (a .avi ~ 800MB finally results in a 3.4GB .mpeg, for a ~ 60 minute video). But size isn't really a problem, but I realized that video and audio isn't completely in sync finally - at the end (time: 55 min.) the gap is up to a second. It would be really nice if Roxio can add a direct MPEG export in a single file.

Heiko

Use the .m2v and .avi files created by Popcorn. Make sure each has identical file names in the Finder except for the .m2v and .ac3 extension. Open the .m2v file in MPEG Streamclip. Streamclip will automatically match the video and the audio files. Now choose Convert to MPEG... from the Streamclip File menu and you will have a multiplexed .mpeg file containing both the video and audio.