b@xlcode.com

Sound Editor, cannot open .wav files

Question

I have a Creative labs recorder and have recorded some speaches (mono not sterio). However, my device saves them as .wav files. However, one of them I want to edit (chop off the last 5 minutes) and another I want to split into two files. However, when I try to open the file in Sound Editor (EMC8), it won't let me but gives an error message saying that it is a non-supported file type. What gives? I can't find anything like this in the knwldg database.

Any suggestions?

Michael :)

8 answers to this question

I have a Creative labs recorder and have recorded some speaches (mono not sterio). However, my device saves them as .wav files. However, one of them I want to edit (chop off the last 5 minutes) and another I want to split into two files. However, when I try to open the file in Sound Editor (EMC8), it won't let me but gives an error message saying that it is a non-supported file type. What gives? I can't find anything like this in the knwldg database.

Any suggestions?

Michael :)

Hi Michael,

can you do me a favor, can you in a file manager right click the wav file and on the top tap select summary

(like the picture attached)

so we here can see what the audio files specs are, as this may help other here find a resolve for your issue.

post-293-1151816624.jpg

Edited by Neil

I think you're on the right track Neil.Seems I remember problems with recorders not recording at the supported bit rate and having files that are not supported.

Michael,you might do a search on the boards to see if you can find the posts made about this.

thank you both for responding to my most frustrating problem. I would not have posted the questions without searching for an existing answer of which I was fully unable to find. :huh: Perhaps i just didn't use the right search. I don't know, but here's what my "Summary" says:

Bit Rate - 129kbps

Audio sample size - 4 bit

Channels - 2(stereo)

Audio smaple rate - 6 kHz

Audio format - IMA ADPCM

I'm just a newbie, :) so I don't know that all of this hyroglifics is, but what's an IMA ADPCM? I thought it was a .wav file.

Thanks in advance.

don't think Sound Editor in EMC 8 works with 4 bit audio...

If my memory is correct, you are correct gaper1

don't think Sound Editor in EMC 8 works with 4 bit audio...

4 bit audio is a problem, and the 6KHz sampling may also be too low for Sound Editor.

My suggestion would be to get the demo version of GoldWave. If it'll open it, you should then be able to convert it to 8 or 16 bit samples, and a higher sample rate, such as 11.025KHz.

Hope that helps!