Sign in to follow this  
relay1

What Is Roxio Burn Disc Viewer?

Question

What is Roxio Burn Disc Viewer that appears as a system folder in the "Other" category when viewing "My Computer"? jjp

15 answers to this question

It looks like a 'pseudo folder' since I can't find it physically on my hard drive - although it might live in the Documents and Settings branch where I can't look.

It only appeared when I started Roxio Burn by putting a disc in an optical drive, but it stayed there after I killed out Roxio Burn and Roxio Burn Launcher. It doesn't seem to depend on Roxio Burn being running since the display doesn't change with/without Roxio Burn.

It doesn't seem to have an obvious use, as you can do the same things inside an ordinary Explorer window - open and display encrypted or unencrypted discs - as you can in this folder.

It has a key in the registry at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{8667D25C-3C8F-42E5-8D96-16872F6FFCF5}, and most of it disappears when that key is deleted.

It's not obvious why this should be necessary.

Additional:

It wasn't visible in My Computer after I restarted Windows 7, but it reappeared when a disc in the drive made Roxio Burn start up.

I have a similar icon for my "Zen" music player. I have no idea why but it it there all the same. It doesn't hurt anything.

Additional:

It wasn't visible in My Computer after I restarted Windows 7, but it reappeared when a disc in the drive made Roxio Burn start up.

I tried that same thing Brendon and Roxio Burn started up and then I checked for the mysterious folder and didn't find a thing ??? Does this only happen with Win 7 ??

Frank...

I don't know, Frank. I'll go install it in XP, and get back to you.

Cheers,

Brendon

edit: Yes, it pops up and down in XP-SP3 when a disc is inserted, even when I've told Windows not to show hidden and system files.

post-208-066569800 1283044220.jpg

Note that the disc I wrote with Burn in Win 7 labeled itself with the date, and wrote in UDF by default. That may upset the 'naysayers' :)

Brendon

Edited by Brendon

I don't know, Frank. I'll go install it in XP, and get back to you.

Cheers,

Brendon

edit: Yes, it pops up and down in XP-SP3 when a disc is inserted, even when I've told Windows not to show hidden and system files.

post-208-066569800 1283044220.jpg

Note that the disc I wrote with Burn in Win 7 labeled itself with the date, and wrote in UDF by default. That may upset the 'naysayers' :)

Brendon

Darn---I just can't seem to duplicate that Brendon ??? I musrt be missing a step somewhere ? I'm trying in Vista Home Premium 32bit btw

Frank...

As I've often told you, once you say "Vista" all bets are off, Frank. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't think you're actually missing anything by not seeing it. That 'folder' doesn't do anything more than an Explorer window does, as far as I can see.

Brendon

As I've often told you, once you say "Vista" all bets are off, Frank. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't think you're actually missing anything by not seeing it. That 'folder' doesn't do anything more than an Explorer window does, as far as I can see.

Brendon

Yeah, that kind of works for me too Brendon when you say 'XP" :lol::D:lol:

In the mean time I can't see it when I am running Win 7 Pro or Ultimate either ??? But like you suggested---I didn't miss a thing not seeing it !! :lol:

What I want to know is--what are users doing to come up with all these wierd things anyway ?? :glare:

Frank...

What I want to know is--what are users doing to come up with all these wierd things anyway ?? :glare:

Well, it just popped up for the OP and for me, without us having to do anything.

I'm more puzzled about you NOT being able to see it. :lol:

Well, it just popped up for the OP and for me, without us having to do anything.

I'm more puzzled about you NOT being able to see it. :lol:

Oh, I don't mind---I'm not running XP and my Win 7 computers don't mind a bit either :lol::P

Cheers Mate

Frank...

Its improcserver32 registry key says it is activated by C:\Program Files\Roxio 2011\Roxio Burn\RBVirtualFolder.dll

The name of the .dll suggests that it is a virtual folder, that only exists while the dll is running. I've never seen it, but then I have never used Roxio Burn (deactivated it from startup). I prefer to use Creator classic.

Thanks Jean - that fits. :)

I wonder what they use it for, apart from eye candy.

That's an old DOS thing Frank. :lol:

Dot is this directory, dot-dot is up one.

I finally found the Roxio explanation for the viewer - it is just eye-candy.

post-208-099151700 1283297579.jpg

That's an old DOS thing Frank. :lol:

Dot is this directory, dot-dot is up one.

I finally found the Roxio explanation for the viewer - it is just eye-candy.

post-208-099151700 1283297579.jpg

The attachment I posted was from the C2011 help file Brendon, so I guess they are using the old DOS explanation huh ?;)

Frank...