fastdude

Toast 10.0.7 Fails!

Question

(PowerBook G4: 2GB RAM, SuperDrive, OS 10.5.8)

Been using Toast for years. Was burning some DVDs with 10.0.6 a few days ago and noticed that I apparently could't burn to double layer disks (8.5GB). As it appeared that 10.0.7 expanded the profile to allow this, I did the 412MB download and installation. I did get that permissions problem, so I deleted the 10.0.6 App folder, then installed.

The app now QUITS if I insert a disk: DVD-R or DVD-R-DL! There is no error message; just poof and it's gone.

Thinking there was an installation problem, I deleted everything and re-downloaded and installed. THEN I repaired Permissions, rebooted, zapped the PRAM, and started Toast as the only app running. SAME problem!

Need suggestions ASAP. Can I at least download 10.0.6 and use it?

5 answers to this question

Try trashing the Toast plist and prefs files in your User>Library>Preferences folder and relaunching Toast.

If you have a backup that includes Toast 10.0.6 you can bring it back to your Applications folder. You can have multiple versions of Toast 10 on the computer at the same time. In fact, rather than trash the Toast 10.0.6 folder it might have just been easier to rename the folder so the new one wouldn't replace the old one. Hindsight, I know.

There is a bug in Toast 10.0.7 that will make you want to use 10.0.6 if you ever try to fit DL-sized video DVDs to single-layer discs. Toast 10.0.7 gives an error message whenever you try to do that while also deselecting some of the original content from the source DVD or VIDEO_TS folder.

Your problem with DL discs could have been the brand of discs you used. Some of Apple's Superdrives only seem to work with Verbatim DVD+R DL media. Also, some Powerbooks couldn't burn to DL discs at all. In System Profiler check that DL media is supported in the Disc Burning section. Another tip is to get a laser-cleaning disc in case the problem is dust on the drive's laser.

Deleted the plist & prefs, as you suggested. Now Toast will read blank CDs and write to them. But not blank DVDs, single or double layers. For example, I inserted a Dl disc and Toast read it as having a 7.96GB capacity. I dragged a 4.18GB VIDEO_TS folder into Toast, and it set it up in the usual way. But, if just move a mouse, it seems to cause it to just quit, with no warning.

Tell me this doesn't happen with an Intel iMac. Which I will try when I get home. <_<

Try trashing the Toast plist and prefs files in your User>Library>Preferences folder and relaunching Toast.

If you have a backup that includes Toast 10.0.6 you can bring it back to your Applications folder. You can have multiple versions of Toast 10 on the computer at the same time. In fact, rather than trash the Toast 10.0.6 folder it might have just been easier to rename the folder so the new one wouldn't replace the old one. Hindsight, I know.

There is a bug in Toast 10.0.7 that will make you want to use 10.0.6 if you ever try to fit DL-sized video DVDs to single-layer discs. Toast 10.0.7 gives an error message whenever you try to do that while also deselecting some of the original content from the source DVD or VIDEO_TS folder.

Your problem with DL discs could have been the brand of discs you used. Some of Apple's Superdrives only seem to work with Verbatim DVD+R DL media. Also, some Powerbooks couldn't burn to DL discs at all. In System Profiler check that DL media is supported in the Disc Burning section. Another tip is to get a laser-cleaning disc in case the problem is dust on the drive's laser.

Deleted the plist & prefs, as you suggested. Now Toast will read blank CDs and write to them. But not blank DVDs, single or double layers. For example, I inserted a Dl disc and Toast read it as having a 7.96GB capacity. I dragged a 4.18GB VIDEO_TS folder into Toast, and it set it up in the usual way. But, if just move a mouse, it seems to cause it to just quit, with no warning.

Tell me this doesn't happen with an Intel iMac. Which I will try when I get home. <_<

7.96 GB is the actual capacity of a DL disc so that part is correct. I don't know, though, why it is being unstable on your Mac. I do know that Toast 10.0.2 was the last version of Toast 10 that could make a video DVD menu correctly on a G5 Mac (and possibly on a G4 as well). Having later versions of Toast 10 author a video DVD on a G5 results in no text appearing in the menu. So Toast 10 is not ideal for non-Intel Macs, at least since version 10.0.2.

I bet you can burn that VIDEO_TS folder to DVD using the DVD-Rom (UDF) setting in the Toast Data window.

I bet you can burn that VIDEO_TS folder to DVD using the DVD-Rom (UDF) setting in the Toast Data window.

You are correct. I can burn to single-layer DVDs in UDF format, but it still rejects double-layer disks. My conclusion is the Super Drive in this PB-G4 can't write to double-layer. No point in beating a dead horse. At least we have an Intel Mac also.

Thanks for your info and suggestions!. B)

You are correct. I can burn to single-layer DVDs in UDF format, but it still rejects double-layer disks. My conclusion is the Super Drive in this PB-G4 can't write to double-layer. No point in beating a dead horse. At least we have an Intel Mac also.

Thanks for your info and suggestions!. B)

superdrives in G4 powerbooks cannot burn to double layer dvd's....unless you swapped out the drive for one that will....like i did! :)