• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 24 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

jmilt7

Upgrade to 7.1 now won't see external

Question

I did search for this but didn't find anything.

Quicksilver 867, 10.4.6, 1GB RAM,

updated to Toast 7.1 from 7.0.x. Now Toast will not see my external firewire drive, an old Yamaha. And when I turn the external off and then back on with Toast running it appears as if it is trying to see the external as I get the spinning beach ball until so much time goes by that I have to force quit.

Repaired permissions. Did a file check (Applejack). Threw away Toast preferences, at least the ones I could find.

Any ideas? Thanks

Jonathan M. Miller

19 answers to this question

Try shutting down the Mac for 10 minutes or so and then restarting. Also, if you update to 10.4.7 download and apply the Combined System Update rather than the incremental 10.4.6 to 10.4.7 update. The combined update can fix odd Firewire or USB issues.

By the way, my Firewire LaCie drive is recognized on my Macs.

Thanks for your reply and suggestion. Unfortunately it didn't seem to work. I shut down for about 15 minutes, restarted and found no change. I wonder if there are any instructions on uninstalling an update. I think I will try to do that and/or re-install 7.0 from my disk.

thanks again

Jonathan M. Milledr

I've had the same problem on a G5 Dual 2.0 OS 10.4.7 and Yamaha CRW2100E. If Toast 7.1 recognizes the drive, it will just hang if I try to use it. Reverted to 7.0.2 with no problems.

Okay, thanks for that bit of information. I guess that is what I will have to do also. I don't think I mentioned the model number of mine but it too is a 2100 (CRW21001X). Maybe Roxio figures no one has any of these old Yamahas since Yamaha stopped selling CD burners (they did, didn't they, I forget). So they don't support them anymore.

Anyway, as an update and evidence to what you say that for some reason this is affecting Yamaha 2100s, I shut down my computer July 3rd, didn't even use it on the 4th, then started it today the 5th and Toast does now see my external. Unfortunately, as in your case, if I try to use it, it just hangs (spinning beach ball).

So I guess it is back to 7.0 What a pain.

Jonathan M. Miller

Okay, thanks for that bit of information. I guess that is what I will have to do also. I don't think I mentioned the model number of mine but it too is a 2100 (CRW21001X). Maybe Roxio figures no one has any of these old Yamahas since Yamaha stopped selling CD burners (they did, didn't they, I forget). So they don't support them anymore.

Anyway, as an update and evidence to what you say that for some reason this is affecting Yamaha 2100s, I shut down my computer July 3rd, didn't even use it on the 4th, then started it today the 5th and Toast does now see my external. Unfortunately, as in your case, if I try to use it, it just hangs (spinning beach ball).

So I guess it is back to 7.0 What a pain.

Jonathan M. Miller

Thanks for the information, it's definately an older drive but we're looking in to the issue further!

Thanks for the information, it's definately an older drive but we're looking in to the issue further!

I can confirm this problem. I, too, have an old CX2100 in a firewire case, and it *used* to work ... now it doesn't. All Toast 7.1 sees is the internal G5 drive. Problem is, I can't revert to 7.0.2 ... at least, when I do, no luck ... do I have to delete any preference flles ???

I can confirm this problem. I, too, have an old CX2100 in a firewire case, and it *used* to work ... now it doesn't. All Toast 7.1 sees is the internal G5 drive. Problem is, I can't revert to 7.0.2 ... at least, when I do, no luck ... do I have to delete any preference flles ???

I didn't need to. Just copied the 7.0.2 application over from my laptop, and I was up and running again.

I didn't need to. Just copied the 7.0.2 application over from my laptop, and I was up and running again.

Turned out I needed to delete the .plist file and the prefs .. 7.0.2 does work again .. woo hoo.

I have updated to Toast 7.1 (Tiger 10.4.6 on an iMac 20), and the Toast cannot locate an external LaCie dual layer burner.

I have also tried the suggestions posted here, with no success.

Is there a solution? (I would not like to return to Toast 7.0.2)

Thanks,

Witt

exact same problem with a "CRW2100IX" as reported by system profiler. i've got it in a firewire case, & started to get beachballs with 7.1.

exact same problem with a "CRW2100IX" as reported by system profiler. i've got it in a firewire case, & started to get beachballs with 7.1.

the problems we found with the Yamahas tended to be related to the external housing itself and how it passes the information, in some cases swapping out the housing with a different type will fix the problem. the other possibility for now is to stay with the 7.0x release since you don't need the universal version.

On a drive that old, I doubt it. Those 2100 drives were problematic when they were new.

just above, someone mentioned it's not an issue with the drive specifically, but with some enclosures. also, if it was working in the previous version, why did the update remove compatibility?

Bump ...

Still same problem

Go to www.xlr8yourmac.com and access its Drive Compatibility Database. Search there for the make and model of drive you have. There may be some leads there about getting your drive to be recognized.

Go to www.xlr8yourmac.com and access its Drive Compatibility Database. Search there for the make and model of drive you have. There may be some leads there about getting your drive to be recognized.

I think that problem is not from Mac OS or Hardware compatibility, because My CDRW works fine with itune or toast 702, but not with 712 or 8 ...

bump, problem is still here. Yamaha 2100 not recognized since 7.1 ... any chance to have it back ?

That drive won't ever work again. The problem is the bridge in the firewire box. I suggest getting a new drive, they are cheap and much better anymore.