Roxio Community

Error Code: Could Not Record The Disc Because A File Couldn’T Be Found – Result Code = -43

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 thelionsroar

thelionsroar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 04:16 PM

I have an unresolved issue using Roxio Toast 9 & Toast 10 Titanium.

Whenever, I try to burn a Data CD or DVD I receive the following error:  Could Not Record the Disc Because a File Couldn’t be Found – Result Code = -43

A CD or DVD will burn when it includes only files.  However when these same files are nested in a folder then the above error occurs.  I varied the location of the files to burn, including placing them on the desktop to vary the file path.

Toast 9 had been burning fine and burning correctly, but then it simply stopped burning correctly.  I cannot correlate it any software or hardware changes.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled Toast 9 multiple times.  When I uninstalled it I used the detailed Roxio directions to ensure that all leftover system files were deleted.

I then bought and installed Toast 10 Titanium.  This did not resolve the issue and the same burning issue remains.

Interestingly, I have no issue burning the same folder/files using the Apple Mac’s built in disc burning function.  I also burned successfully using a freeware program ‘Burn.’  This disc burning problem is exclusive to Toast and occurs with all user accounts.

I have read many of the similar (if not identical) posts on this forum as well as researched it on Google.  None of these have provided resolution.

I ran “Repair Disc” using Disk Utility (from the OS X Installer Disc) but no issues were found.

I installed freeware utility program OnyX to do system maintenance, including:  delete caches for system & all users / fonts / logs, delete trash, verified disc, repaired permissions.

Also, I set the Energy Preference to not sleep the hard drive.

Hardware:  Apple Mac Pro (early 2008) dual processor 2.8 GHz with two built in SuperDrives (Note:  Burning issue occurs with both DVD drives)

Software:  Operation System OS X 10.5.8, Roxio Toast 10.0.8

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

#2 thelionsroar

thelionsroar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 05:42 AM

View Postthelionsroar, on 21 September 2010 - 04:16 PM, said:

I have an unresolved issue using Roxio Toast 9 & Toast 10 Titanium.

Whenever, I try to burn a Data CD or DVD I receive the following error:  Could Not Record the Disc Because a File Couldn’t be Found – Result Code = -43

A CD or DVD will burn when it includes only files.  However when these same files are nested in a folder then the above error occurs.  I varied the location of the files to burn, including placing them on the desktop to vary the file path.

Toast 9 had been burning fine and burning correctly, but then it simply stopped burning correctly.  I cannot correlate it any software or hardware changes.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled Toast 9 multiple times.  When I uninstalled it I used the detailed Roxio directions to ensure that all leftover system files were deleted.

I then bought and installed Toast 10 Titanium.  This did not resolve the issue and the same burning issue remains.

Interestingly, I have no issue burning the same folder/files using the Apple Mac’s built in disc burning function.  I also burned successfully using a freeware program ‘Burn.’  This disc burning problem is exclusive to Toast and occurs with all user accounts.

I have read many of the similar (if not identical) posts on this forum as well as researched it on Google.  None of these have provided resolution.

I ran “Repair Disc” using Disk Utility (from the OS X Installer Disc) but no issues were found.

I installed freeware utility program OnyX to do system maintenance, including:  delete caches for system & all users / fonts / logs, delete trash, verified disc, repaired permissions.

Also, I set the Energy Preference to not sleep the hard drive.

Hardware:  Apple Mac Pro (early 2008) dual processor 2.8 GHz with two built in SuperDrives (Note:  Burning issue occurs with both DVD drives)

Software:  Operation System OS X 10.5.8, Roxio Toast 10.0.8

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

All,

This issue remains unresolved.

I have since updated to Mac OS X 10.6.6.

Curiously, I have found that I am able to duplicate a CD without this error.  The Result Code -43 (Error) occurs when I am trying to burn files from my Hard Drive.  See my original posts for details.

I appreciate any suggestions you might have!  

Thanks!

Edited by thelionsroar, 29 March 2011 - 04:32 PM.

#3 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,225 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 01:22 PM

View Postthelionsroar, on 27 March 2011 - 05:42 AM, said:

All,

This issue remains unresolved.

I have since updated to Mac OS X 10.6.6.

Curiously, I have found that I am able to duplicate a CD without this error.  The Result Code -42 (Error) occurs when I am trying to burn files from my Hard Drive.  See my original posts for details.

I appreciate any suggestions you might have!  

Thanks!

Sorry but this stumps me. How are you adding the folders of files to Toast? It shouldn't matter whether you're dragging them in, using the Add button or the media browser but it seems that Toast is seeing something added that isn't actually there. When you add folders you get the hidden .ds stores file so that may have something to do with this. Still, it shouldn't matter. What setting are you using in Toast?
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#4 jonatsonic

jonatsonic

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Interests:I am the Community and Content Manager at Roxio. I'm not necessarily a tech, but can help you resolve issues, offer advice, and any suggestions for new KB articles are welcome.

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:19 AM

This is interesting.

Is the same set of files or folders that you get the error or *any* files and folders that you are trying to burn?

Also, without going into too much detail, what kinds of files are included in the project? Just images? Work docs? Something else?

Jon

#5 thelionsroar

thelionsroar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 04:29 PM

Thanks tsantee & jonatsonic for your replies!

I spent some more time working through the various methods & configurations without different results.

I get "Result Code = -43" whether I add the files by dragging them into the "content area" or by using the "add" button.

I turned on the "show hidden files in content area" in Preferences.  I received the same error whether or not I included the DS Store file in the attempted burn.

I also get the same error regardless of file type (jpeg, mp3, pdf) or the specific file;  I've tried many different files and file types.  

When attempting to burn either a Mac or Mac+PC Data disc I get the error -- whether I attempt to actually burn a disc or create a "disc image."  I also tried to create a MP3 disc with the same results, just as an experiment.

I am not selecting any of the special burning "options" in the content area.

I can only successfully create a disc or disc image when there is NOT a folder in the attempted burn.  Every time I add a nested folder into the content area to burn I get the "Result Code - 43."  This appears to be the key trigger.

Please let me know if I can provide additional information to help you help me.

I appreciate your assistance!

#6 thelionsroar

thelionsroar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 06:04 AM

View Postjonatsonic, on 29 March 2011 - 09:19 AM, said:

This is interesting.

Is the same set of files or folders that you get the error or *any* files and folders that you are trying to burn?

Also, without going into too much detail, what kinds of files are included in the project? Just images? Work docs? Something else?

Jon

Posted Yesterday, 05:29 PM

I spent some more time working through the various methods & configurations without different results.

I get "Result Code = -43" whether I add the files by dragging them into the "content area" or by using the "add" button.

I turned on the "show hidden files in content area" in Preferences. I received the same error whether or not I included the DS Store file in the attempted burn.

I also get the same error regardless of file type (jpeg, mp3, pdf) or the specific file; I've tried many different files and file types.

When attempting to burn either a Mac or Mac+PC Data disc I get the error -- whether I attempt to actually burn a disc or create a "disc image." I also tried to create a MP3 disc with the same results, just as an experiment.

I can only successfully create a disc or disc image when there is NOT a folder in the attempted burn. Every time I add a nested folder into the content area to burn I get the "Result Code - 43." This appears to be the key trigger.

#7 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,225 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:32 AM

View Postthelionsroar, on 30 March 2011 - 06:04 AM, said:

Posted Yesterday, 05:29 PM

I turned on the "show hidden files in content area" in Preferences. I received the same error whether or not I included the DS Store file in the attempted burn.

I also get the same error regardless of file type (jpeg, mp3, pdf) or the specific file; I've tried many different files and file types.

When attempting to burn either a Mac or Mac+PC Data disc I get the error -- whether I attempt to actually burn a disc or create a "disc image." I also tried to create a MP3 disc with the same results, just as an experiment.

I can only successfully create a disc or disc image when there is NOT a folder in the attempted burn. Every time I add a nested folder into the content area to burn I get the "Result Code - 43." This appears to be the key trigger.

This is baffling and, as far as I know, unprecedented. When you did all the cleaning did you trash the Toast plist and prefs files? If not, see if that fixes the issue.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#8 thelionsroar

thelionsroar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 05:00 PM

View Posttsantee, on 30 March 2011 - 07:32 AM, said:

This is baffling and, as far as I know, unprecedented. When you did all the cleaning did you trash the Toast plist and prefs files? If not, see if that fixes the issue.

I've once again reinstalled the program to ensure that I am doing it correctly.

First I followed Roxio's Knowledge Base article 000098TT "Complete Uninstall of Toast 10 on a Snow Leopard."  I deleted the application, listed Application Support, as well as outlined Preferences.  I then emptied the Trash folder and rebooted the machine.  This was done for both accounts on the machine.

I reinstalled and still received the same error "Result Code = -43"  when trying to burn or image with a nested folder.  Everything works just fine with files that are not contained in folders within the content area.  Problem is I need to organize data on the disks in folders.

Keep in mind disk burning otherwise works fine on this machine, including with Disk Utility and third party Burn.

is there  some setting either in Toast or in OS X, that might be impacting this?

Thanks again!

#9 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,225 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:03 PM

View Postthelionsroar, on 30 March 2011 - 05:00 PM, said:

I've once again reinstalled the program to ensure that I am doing it correctly.

First I followed Roxio's Knowledge Base article 000098TT "Complete Uninstall of Toast 10 on a Snow Leopard."  I deleted the application, listed Application Support, as well as outlined Preferences.  I then emptied the Trash folder and rebooted the machine.  This was done for both accounts on the machine.

I reinstalled and still received the same error "Result Code = -43"  when trying to burn or image with a nested folder.  Everything works just fine with files that are not contained in folders within the content area.  Problem is I need to organize data on the disks in folders.

Keep in mind disk burning otherwise works fine on this machine, including with Disk Utility and third party Burn.

is there  some setting either in Toast or in OS X, that might be impacting this?

Thanks again!
I don't know what to suggest. Some possibilities are to run DiskWarrior if you have it, try using a different user account and try starting up the Mac in safe mode (holding down the shift key right after you hear the startup tone). The latter two suggestions are just for testing as they don't fix anything.

#10 kcpenner

kcpenner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:10 PM

I am getting the same error code -43 (file could not be found, etc.) when trying to make a Blu-ray disc image on Toast 10 from a 1920x1080 Quicktime file (not self-contained, but all the linked files are still there) produced by Final Cut Pro.  I have recently successfully made four different Blu-ray video disc images and I didn't do anything different this time.  The only thing that seemed different was after hitting the red button I would get a warning saying something like "19 GB required; only 13 GB available" and the option to Cancel or Continue.  There was also a note saying something like "If you continue, make sure you make more space available".  Now it is true that my iMac's hard drive only had 13GB left, but I was saving the disc image onto an external hard drive that had 300+ GB available.  I haven't a clue what's going on.  I don't know if "nested folders" are part of my problem ... Any ideas what my problem is?

Since it takes a LONG time to encode the Blu-ray disc image (24+ hours) but only gives the error AFTER the 24 hours, I'm very frustrated (during those 24 hours of encoding, the iMac is sluggish, so not much use for anything else).

I'm running OS 10.6.7 on a 2008-era iMac (2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM, etc.)

#11 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,225 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:11 AM

View Postkcpenner, on 01 May 2011 - 09:10 PM, said:

I am getting the same error code -43 (file could not be found, etc.) when trying to make a Blu-ray disc image on Toast 10 from a 1920x1080 Quicktime file (not self-contained, but all the linked files are still there) produced by Final Cut Pro.  I have recently successfully made four different Blu-ray video disc images and I didn't do anything different this time.  The only thing that seemed different was after hitting the red button I would get a warning saying something like "19 GB required; only 13 GB available" and the option to Cancel or Continue.  There was also a note saying something like "If you continue, make sure you make more space available".  Now it is true that my iMac's hard drive only had 13GB left, but I was saving the disc image onto an external hard drive that had 300+ GB available.  I haven't a clue what's going on.  I don't know if "nested folders" are part of my problem ... Any ideas what my problem is?

Since it takes a LONG time to encode the Blu-ray disc image (24+ hours) but only gives the error AFTER the 24 hours, I'm very frustrated (during those 24 hours of encoding, the iMac is sluggish, so not much use for anything else).

I'm running OS 10.6.7 on a 2008-era iMac (2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM, etc.)
Toast needs hard drive space in a couple different ways. One place is where the Roxio Converted Items folder is located. This by default is in your Documents folder. It can be moved using a setting in Toast Preferences. With only 13 GB of space on your home drive you definitely need to move that folder elsewhere. The other is where Toast writes temporary (and invisible) files that it needs which aren't written to the converted items folder. Toast preferences states that up to 15 GB of space are needed for those. That location also can be moved in Toast preferences. My guess is that changing those locations will help resolve your issue.

#12 revmel2

revmel2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 06:33 PM

View Posttsantee, on 02 May 2011 - 07:11 AM, said:

Toast needs hard drive space in a couple different ways. One place is where the Roxio Converted Items folder is located. This by default is in your Documents folder. It can be moved using a setting in Toast Preferences. With only 13 GB of space on your home drive you definitely need to move that folder elsewhere. The other is where Toast writes temporary (and invisible) files that it needs which aren't written to the converted items folder. Toast preferences states that up to 15 GB of space are needed for those. That location also can be moved in Toast preferences. My guess is that changing those locations will help resolve your issue.

I also am experiencing an error 43 message. It came up when I tried to copy and burn a homemade video using the DVD-Video option. Did you guys find a solution to this? the posts seemed to end without any resolution. Thank you.

#13 Marvinbass

Marvinbass

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:22 PM

Guess What it's happening in Toast 11.1 as well!!

#14 Marvinbass

Marvinbass

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

FYI the only way I can get around it, is to recopy the disk as an image again.

#15 Jonypdx

Jonypdx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:23 AM

Yep- I seem to have had it in 11.1, with some slight differences.
In my case. I hadn't used Toast for a while, so I decided to get some stuff off of my late 2008 MBP. I was shocked when we rolled into day three of the burn of an .mkv to disc. But then it announced that it couldn't FIND it?? My error was the same number but different number - "-47?"
I almost universally drag n drop as I keep the bigger files on an external drive that flummoxes the poor thing.
I reinstalled 10. Works like a charm. Not sure why I left 10...
Good lick with this. it's very frustrating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users