5 replies to this topic

#1 Tovey

Tovey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Jazz, travel

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:32 PM

I know this section of the forum seems to be principally about "Roxio media creator" but i figured "Music Lab 10" is a cut down package of what is incorperated into the full Roxio media software.  Does anyone have any theories why when I record from a casette tape deck, chanelled through a Hi Fi amplifier, all my recordings are trashed, as indicated in the "LP and tape assistant" dialogue box, because the recording levels jump straight into the red and stays there.

#2 ogdens

ogdens

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,074 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:04 PM

View PostTovey, on 29 September 2010 - 01:32 PM, said:

I know this section of the forum seems to be principally about "Roxio media creator" but i figured "Music Lab 10" is a cut down package of what is incorperated into the full Roxio media software.  Does anyone have any theories why when I record from a casette tape deck, chanelled through a Hi Fi amplifier, all my recordings are trashed, as indicated in the "LP and tape assistant" dialogue box, because the recording levels jump straight into the red and stays there.

Sounds like you are over driving the input to the computer (too high a level).

Normally with a cassette tape deck you dont need to go through any amplifier, just connect the Line Out to your Line In in on  your sound card.

Tell us exactly how you are connected to your computer?.

#3 Tovey

Tovey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Jazz, travel

Posted 03 October 2010 - 01:22 PM

View Postogdens, on 29 September 2010 - 03:04 PM, said:

Sounds like you are over driving the input to the computer (too high a level).

Normally with a cassette tape deck you dont need to go through any amplifier, just connect the Line Out to your Line In in on  your sound card.

Tell us exactly how you are connected to your computer?.

I followed your suggestion and connected the "phones" jack plug from my cassette tape player to the "line in" on my notebook computer.  The recording quality was O.K but it recorded only in mono.  The L recording bar indicators showed movement but the R bar just subournly sat right the way up into "clip" in the red section with out moving a bit.  I also tried recording a LP vinal from the turntable, via a headphone jack from the Hi Fi amplifier and got the same mono result and the same kind of showing on the recording bar indicators. Any suggestions?
One last thing!  When a disc is burned from the Roxio Music lab 10 interface it saves the file with the extension ".cda".  I had no problem playing it on my CD player but might there be a problem on some other players, or is this a standard extension recognised by all?

#4 ogdens

ogdens

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,074 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 05:00 PM

View PostTovey, on 03 October 2010 - 01:22 PM, said:

I followed your suggestion and connected the "phones" jack plug from my cassette tape player to the "line in" on my notebook computer.  The recording quality was O.K but it recorded only in mono.  The L recording bar indicators showed movement but the R bar just subournly sat right the way up into "clip" in the red section with out moving a bit.  I also tried recording a LP vinal from the turntable, via a headphone jack from the Hi Fi amplifier and got the same mono result and the same kind of showing on the recording bar indicators. Any suggestions?
One last thing!  When a disc is burned from the Roxio Music lab 10 interface it saves the file with the extension ".cda".  I had no problem playing it on my CD player but might there be a problem on some other players, or is this a standard extension recognised by all?

Thats not what I suggested, you connect from the Line Out of the tape player. It would appear that when you used the "phones" jack you did not use  the correct stereo cord/jack

Edited by ogdens, 04 October 2010 - 02:35 AM.

#5 tbrewst

tbrewst

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,101 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 05:06 AM

When you burn an Audio cd then what you see on the disc in Explorer is .cda files.
All those are is pointers to where the actual PCM is on the disc.
The .cda files do not actually contain any music.If you were to copy those to your hard drive you'd end up with a 1kb file with no music.

If you burn an MP3 disc then the files are the music as they are really data and don't go by the same standard as an Audio cd.

Do yourself a favor and go get a Y cable with a mini plug (stereo) on one end and Red and White rca plugs on the other.
Plug the RCA ends to the Tape Out of your deck and the mini end into the line in on your notebook.
This will work best.

Edited by tbrewst, 04 October 2010 - 05:08 AM.

"Because I’m happy
Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof
Because I’m happy
Clap along if you feel like happiness is the truth
Because I’m happy
Clap along if you know what happiness is to you
Because I’m happy
Clap along if you feel like that’s what you wanna do"

Terry

64 bitWindows 8.1 OS
AMD FX-8320 8 core 3.5Ghz processor with Arctic Freezer 64 Pro cooling fan
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 AM3+ motherboard