Grateful

Sony Dcr-Trv460 System, Video Capture Always Freezes At The 31 Second (Approx

Question

Hi All,

i have read the threads re this topic on the forums but still cannot see how to resolve it.

I have a Sony DCR TRV340 system, Video capture ALWAYS freezes at the 31 second (approx) point when capturing old Hi8 and 8mm Analog source tapes. Digital tapes work fine. It will do this both for the MPEG 2 and AVI DV format options > I am using Roxio Creator 2010 Pro with Windows XP.

Thanks

Michael

14 answers to this question

what specific program in the suite are you using?

Step by step details of how you are capturing please

what specific program in the suite are you using?

Step by step details of how you are capturing please

thankyou for replying gi7omy

I am using the Roxio Creator PRO 2010 . I plug the Firewire from my Sony Camcorder into my PC and it asks to choose which option to import with, I choose " capture Media using "Media Import" , Roxio Media Import Opens and I choose " Video" , The Sony DV Device , and the Capture settings of 2 options 1.AVI DV Format or . MPEG-2 Format. I do not choose capture length as I choose capture Entire Tape , it starts the videpcam ands starts to copy BUT after 32sec it pauses . This happens if you choose any of the 2 Formats ands mahes no difference if you manually change the capture lengthto say 1 or 2 hrs. My Digital 8mm tapes worked fine but not the 8mm or Hi8 analogue tapes.

Michael

Several users have reported this. I have the TRV 740 and a few older 8mm analog tapes. I'll test this again and hopefully we can find a solution.

---

Does the same thing in Creator 2011. We'll pass this on.

---

As a short term solution, download WinDV. It is freeware and I worked for me. The only weird thing is I had to press Capture in the software AND then the Play button on the camcorder. WinDV didn't control the camcorder. I'm using Windows 7 32bit so may work differently on WinXP. Just Google for WinDV.

Edited by ggrussell

Several users have reported this. I have the TRV 740 and a few older 8mm analog tapes. I'll test this again and hopefully we can find a solution.

---

Does the same thing in Creator 2011. We'll pass this on.

---

As a short term solution, download WinDV. It is freeware and I worked for me. The only weird thing is I had to press Capture in the software AND then the Play button on the camcorder. WinDV didn't control the camcorder. I'm using Windows 7 32bit so may work differently on WinXP. Just Google for WinDV.

Thanks Russel,

Will try. Is this in MPEG2 or the DV DVI?

Michael

I think WinDV only records in DV AVI format. As for Creator 2011, I tried both. A serious bug in C2010 and C2011 because I know it worked in previous versions.

I think WinDV only records in DV AVI format. As for Creator 2011, I tried both. A serious bug in C2010 and C2011 because I know it worked in previous versions.

so Gary, are they likely to fix this or I just do what you said copy in DV AVI . And then this will be a large file ; what then. I want to keep a good quality with lower Gigs not 13-14G per 1-2 hrs .? I want topy them to external hardrives as I do now abd play them thru a media centre which is great. But eventually may copy to oher mediums eg Blueray etc , Over 70 tapes. I am a Novice.

Much appreciated .

Michael

For the moment, that is the only choice for capturing. You can then load the file into Videowave. Edit as needed and then Output to any format you want. Just remember that once the file is compressed, there is NO getting back the quality lost. Choose any format that can be played by your media center software.

For the moment, that is the only choice for capturing. You can then load the file into Videowave. Edit as needed and then Output to any format you want. Just remember that once the file is compressed, there is NO getting back the quality lost. Choose any format that can be played by your media center software.

Gary,

what about just plugging the Sony Camcorder straight into a DVD Burner via SVideo or Analogiue Cable (white red yellow) and burning to DVD +- the copying to Computer. ?

rgds

Michael

Yes, you can do that, too. Copy the video_ts folder from the DVD to your hard drive and import from the folder. Just remember that a DVD is MPEG 2 compressed video. When it comes time for final output or burn a disc, Videowave/MyDVD should only re-render the areas that you edit.

Edited by ggrussell

Yes, you can do that, too. Copy the video_ts folder from the DVD to your hard drive and import from the folder. Just remember that a DVD is MPEG 2 compressed video. When it comes time for final output or burn a disc, Videowave/MyDVD should only re-render the areas that you edit.

Thanks Gary

But what does this mean? "When it comes time for final output or burn a disc, Videowave/MyDVD should only re-render the areas that you edit. "

also which DVD is good ? Dual layer R- R + RW ?????

Michael

Gary,

after reading through all this again, I would be better using winDV and editing as i like then just plugging Camera into a DVD Burner. ie No advantage in using the latter.?

Michael

No real advantage other than easy of use. Editing MPEG files (.vob) can be done, but can also have it's issues. When you capture to DV AVI, the files are faster to edit and then the entire project can rendered only ONCE to MPEG 2 in MyDVD when you create/burn the disc.

No real advantage other than easy of use. Editing MPEG files (.vob) can be done, but can also have it's issues. When you capture to DV AVI, the files are faster to edit and then the entire project can rendered only ONCE to MPEG 2 in MyDVD when you create/burn the disc.

Thankyou Gary,

Very good advice . i started to copy these with Win DV ; copied about 10 tapes ; each b/n 2-25 dropped frames but I guess this in negligible when they usually maybe 20-30 frames per sec. and I have a line at the very bottom of the screen that is insignificant. I will keep going with this and then edit as you advised .

Thankyou once again for the good advice!!! :)

Michael

More than welcome. I still have a couple of older 8mm analog tapes to convert myself. Have put it off for years, but I suppose I really should get it done someday. lol

• Like 1