• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 pmo

pmo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 05:34 AM

I've bougt Toast 10 just to burn HD DVD and I cannot!
I'm very angry because after having read this topic I've realized nobody is working to solve this bug (and if somebody is trying to do it... nobody can).
We have wasted our money!
:angry2:

#2 ComPH

ComPH

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 09:15 AM

If you really mean HD DVD, you must go for Toast 9. If you mean BD-DVD (BD-5/BD-9), for me 10.0.2 worked (no chapter marks) and now 10.0.8 works as well. Your results maybe different. Need to be on Intel (I must be brain dead) based Mac. Also recommend latest OS release.

Edited by ComPH, 11 October 2010 - 09:15 AM.

#3 pmo

pmo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:54 AM

View PostComPH, on 11 October 2010 - 09:15 AM, said:

If you really mean HD DVD, you must go for Toast 9. If you mean BD-DVD (BD-5/BD-9), for me 10.0.2 worked (no chapter marks) and now 10.0.8 works as well. Your results maybe different. Need to be on Intel (I must be brain dead) based Mac. Also recommend latest OS release.

Thank you, for your answer.
I've directly bought Roxio Toast Titanium V. 10.0.8  and I use a 2 x 2.66 Core Intel Xeon with OS X 10.6.4.
I need to burn a video Blu-ray (I have a  BD reader but I haven't yet got a BD writer)  over a standard DVD o DL DVD. Unfortunately I don't have got a 10.0.2 version (and I couldn't find it over the net). Are you suggesting me to try Toast 9? I want make a DVD working with 1920 x 1080 25  hd video. I'm fighting with 18771 error and loosing time and money...
Best Regards.
Pier

#4 ComPH

ComPH

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:05 AM

What I was suggesting, was to try Toast 9 if you are trying to burn "HD DVD", which was a format alternate to the BD. Now that I understand that you are trying to burn BD on DVD media, I am suggesting that you try 10.0.8, or anything before 10.0.3. Toast 9 works as well. The older versions do not import chapters from the editors. I don't know what version ships if you actually order a disc. I'd start from the 10.0.8. In the past there were some of the older versions on the Roxio European sites, but I am not sure if that is still the case. I learned the hard way never to delete the older revs. Customer Service might be able to help you.

#5 pmo

pmo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:56 PM

Ok, thank you again for your kindness. I 'will try.

#6 pruthe

pruthe

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 05:34 PM

Have you encountered this error while burning a disk or creating disk image with Toast 10.0.8? Wasn't clear to me in your comments. I have same/similar machine + Mac OS 10.6.4 and was able to successfully burn BD on both DVD and BD-R (with chapters) using Toast 10.0.7. Haven't tried BD on DVD for 10.0.8 yet, but BD on BD-R has worked. (Btw, I have internal LG BD burners.)

#7 pmo

pmo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:58 AM

View Postpruthe, on 12 October 2010 - 05:34 PM, said:

Have you encountered this error while burning a disk or creating disk image with Toast 10.0.8? Wasn't clear to me in your comments. I have same/similar machine + Mac OS 10.6.4 and was able to successfully burn BD on both DVD and BD-R (with chapters) using Toast 10.0.7. Haven't tried BD on DVD for 10.0.8 yet, but BD on BD-R has worked. (Btw, I have internal LG BD burners.)
Hi, I'm encountering this error in both case. Anyway  now I'm burning a different format (I share in FC a Blu-ray): it seems to work ... although I cannot see the  menu once I've burned the disk. I'm going on studing the problem...

#8 SeanT

SeanT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:04 AM

Just confirm:  I tried installing 10.0.8.  And afterwards, I have the same problem (error 18771).
Roxio, please solve the problem!!!

#9 SeanT

SeanT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:24 PM

In speaking with support, they say that i could try to render the video in different formats, such as MPEG2 HD.
My question, has anybody had any success with this, what specific code did you try that works, and in the mean time, preserving the chapter markers?

#10 SeanT

SeanT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 07:40 PM

In experimenting further with this issue, I found out that this happens only with movies beyond certain length.  I cut down my FCP sequence to just 10 minutes, then exported it to .mov file.  No problem.  I have not figured out what is the cut off point is....how long before it will become a problem.

#11 hadanuf

hadanuf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:40 PM

View PostSeanT, on 31 December 2010 - 12:24 PM, said:

In speaking with support, they say that i could try to render the video in different formats, such as MPEG2 HD.
My question, has anybody had any success with this, what specific code did you try that works, and in the mean time, preserving the chapter markers?

This is more a heads-up/rant than a question. There are a number of postings here, and on the TOAST discussion group about the problems of using toast to make archives and DVDs from an AVCHD camera or file source.

Toast will error out, giving a message "Could not record the disc because of a Mac OS error. Result Code= -18768"

I too, like others here, have been in contact with the "Tech. Support" in attempt at a solution, because this was the single most important reason for my purchase of Toast Titanium Pro.

Trying to work with Roxio's Tech. Support is frustrating and a waste of time. Apparently they do not read the messages. They answer with canned responses, telling you to read their help files, update to the latest version etc. even though the body of my question contained an affirmation of all that as a preamble.

Roxio's eventual response was to reference "dropped frames" as a reason for the failure to perform the burn. ie. the problem is mine, not theirs.

After much experimentation, I found that there are two work arounds that seem to refute this claim of dropped frames.
1. continue to click the red burn button after each failure, without making any changes. Toast usually resumes from the error point, and somehow works thru' the offending clip.
2. Drag the error box aside, and note the "offending clip" that stopped the progress, remove it from the cue, repeat the process until all the "problem clips" are removed. then burn those clips as a separate disc. For some reason, these clips are not a problem when separated.

Solution 2 is, for obvious reasons, not acceptable. But does seem to demonstrate that "dropped frames" is NOT the problem.

Making Archives of AVCHD clips runs into the 98 file limitation. The ONLY way around this is for the user to "Combine" clips into groups totaling less than 98 in number. Even if you are spanning multiple disc, TOAST will not let you burn more than 98 files.

All in all, in my opinion, Titanium Pro performs like a Beta version. It is not worth upgrading from a previous version, (vers.8 did everything I needed),or from a competitor. If you want to burn BDs from your camcorder, you will probably be disappointed. At least you have a 30 day refund policy to fall back on.

The additional programs Disc Cover 2 RE, and DiscCatogMaker RE that come bundled with 'Pro are also somewhat useless. For instance, to make a catalog of a disc with thumbnails instead of useless numbered files, you have to upgrade to the full version, similar complaint with Disc Cover.

#12 SeanT

SeanT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 07:17 AM

Yes.  Similar conclusion is reached here....although I certainly have not reached all these issues mentioned because I probably have not used all these features yet.  What I have experienced:

1. 98 video clip limit.  I have been helping my parents and some friends to produce un-edited videos after their vacations, etc.  And I quickly ran into this 98 video clip limit, to the point I had to produce multiple DVDs for them.
2. Error 18771 issue.  This happens if the individual video clips are too long.  If I edit the video using FCP or FCE, and produce, say, half an hour of video, put it into a MOV file.  Then add it into Toast.  It will encounter this issue.  So, the way I dealt with it, was to produce shorter video clips.  So far it has been working out for me.
3. Between video clips, I am not sure how to do transition.  So far, between clips, there is this annoying pause.  I would rather, either it just immediately jump to the next clip.  Or, out of my own choice, insert some kind of transition.  Not sure how to do that.  If fellow toast users can point me in the right direction, that will be certainly appreciate it.
4. I have not been able to get the Chapter Markers from FCP to effectively show up and be reflected in Toast as it defines the menus and chapters.  Again, this may be because of my own lack of knowledge.  If somebody can give me the pointer to do it, again, very much obliged.

If I have more experiences as I use it more, I will try to share it in this forum from time to time (and I will try to share it in Mac discussion forum as well).

Thanks very much.
Sean T.

#13 Jonathan Roe

Jonathan Roe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:31 PM

RE :Error 18771 burning HD (AVCHD) on to DVD discs via the Toast Titanuim Pro 10.0.8 (purchased 13 January 2011) Blu-Ray Video encode.  (NOTE I am in the UK using PAL where relevant).

I have a Mac Pro 3.1 with a  2 x 2.8Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, running Mac OS X 10.6.6

I have had success in creating HD DVDs by using the Blu-Ray Video Custom Encode with the Average and Maximum rates both set at 14.5MB/s, whilst the Automatic Encode failed every time with Error 18771 grrrrr…

This worked for a 32 minute 3 second film, source encode Apple Intermediate Codec 1080i .mov ex FCP  (1440 by 1080 true, but 1920 by 1080 when played – original file size 18.46GB – effectively 9.6MB/s) burnt on to single layer DVD+R from the Toast Blu-Ray Video creator .  It also worked on a 50 min 45 sec film (same source codec but at original source 8.2 MB/s data rate) burnt onto a Dual Layer DVD+R

The indicated size of the first encoded HD DVD film in Toast was 3.35GB (1.74 MB/s), but when finished on the DVD disc it was c 10% larger at 3.68GB (1.91 MB/s).  The second film’s indicated size in Toast was 5.31 GB (1.74 MB/s), but when finished on the Dual Layer DVD disc it was c 8% larger at 5.78GB (1.88 MB/s).

My (current) empirical rules to avoid Error 18771 when creating a HD DVD in Blu-Ray creator Toast 10 Pro are (i) use the Custom Encode option (ii) set the Average and Maximum encode rate to be the same to deliver an indicated effective encode rate of 1.75MB/s or below (note the burnt file is some 10% larger so the actual rule may be to set the effective output encode rate to below 2.0 MB/s, but you won’t know the actual rate until you have managed to complete the DVD…..)

Both HD DVDs played beautifully on my Panasonic DMP-BDT 100 Blu-Ray player and were materially better than the Apple Compressor/DVD Pro standard DVD versions.

It would of course be useful if Roxio did the research and published the limiting data rates and better still fixed the Automatic Encode from Blu-Ray to DVD disc, with a much needed software update, thereby removing the curse of Error 18771.

Edited by Jonathan Roe, 14 January 2011 - 04:41 PM.

#14 ge mirkin

ge mirkin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:39 PM

I got this error when attempting to burn video to disc.  Turned out to be a video clip with a high APL (Average Picture Level).  Removed the offending clip from the video.  Worked fine.  Also, may have been related to high bit stream, although it seemed to persist, even at lower bit rates, until I removed the clip, in the editor, and re-rendered the finished mpeg4 video file.

#15 woowooz

woowooz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:52 PM

Burning a 2.31 GB,  15 minute 1080p QuickTime .mov file to DVD-R:  I get an error code 18771 with automatic settings.  Using Custom encoding, MPEG-4 AVC, Average bit rate 7.0, max bit rate 14.0, IT WORKS.  Custom encode, same settings except Average bit rate 7.5, max bit rate 15.5, it DOES NOT work.  The same 1080p movie burns to a standard DVD with iDVD, so corrupted source material is not the problem.  Perhaps one of you video guys can make some sense out of this.  

Mac Pro, Snow Leopard 10.6.7, 10 GB RAM

#16 etherflyer

etherflyer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:05 PM

View Postwoowooz, on 31 March 2011 - 01:52 PM, said:

Burning a 2.31 GB,  15 minute 1080p QuickTime .mov file to DVD-R:  I get an error code 18771 with automatic settings.  Using Custom encoding, MPEG-4 AVC, Average bit rate 7.0, max bit rate 14.0, IT WORKS.  Custom encode, same settings except Average bit rate 7.5, max bit rate 15.5, it DOES NOT work.  The same 1080p movie burns to a standard DVD with iDVD, so corrupted source material is not the problem.  Perhaps one of you video guys can make some sense out of this.  

Mac Pro, Snow Leopard 10.6.7, 10 GB RAM

I've been fighting this too. Glad to learn I'm not the only one who thinks Roxio's techs don't bother reading the tickets before firing off an answer.

I'll give those settings a shot with the clip that's giving me grief (although it's only 9 minutes long, a slideshow exported from Aperture) and report back.

If anyone wants to play around I can post the access here. (I uploaded it to my public MobileMe account, not that Roxio has actually looked at it.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users