• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 APW

APW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 08:39 PM

I had been burning dvd's no problem, but one day I got a "sector 0 unreadable : verifcation failed" message during verification. When I tested the disc it didn't work at all, I have since tried many times to burn a disc but none have worked. If I do verification, it fails, and the disc doesn't work, if I don't, the disc also doesn't work then. I changed my Recorder settings to put BUffer underrun protection on, not knowing if it would help, and it didn't. Every time I try and burn a dvd now, I have this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 gaper1

gaper1

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 06:00 AM

sounds like a drive or media problem... what kind of drive you have and what kind of media have you used? when you mentioned the disc doesn't work, how is it not working? you can't play it on a DVD player and on the Mac or the disc is not burned?

#3 APW

APW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 03:09 PM

The drive is a Sony DVD RW DW-U10A, built in to my iMac. I am using Maxell DVD-R's. When I try to play a burned disc in my computer, it says "disc unreadable", and in a dvd player simply nothing happens.

Edited by APW, 10 July 2006 - 03:09 PM.

#4 freshburn

freshburn

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 04:01 PM

My guess is that the book type of the disc is set incorrectly on the DVD.  The drive firmware sets this.  If you have Toast 7 or Popcorn 2 you can get this info from the disc.

Apples DVD Player is picky about the book type.  Try selecting the VIDEO_TS folder off the disc and see if it plays OK.

#5 APW

APW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 04:32 PM

I can't open the VIDEO_TS folder because I cannot get to anything on the dvd. It doesn't even show up on the desktop. When I put it in, I get a pop up error that says the disc is unreadable, with options to format, eject, etc.  Plus it won't play on other dvd players, which is where I really want to play it.

And that thing about the book type, is that fixable?

#6 freshburn

freshburn

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 04:42 PM

OK, the sector 0 error means the DVD is just no good.  This is usually a problem with the media and drive.  The Sony drive is good, but it needs a firmware update.

Only problem is there are no mac updaters that I'm aware off.  You should try different media.  I suggest Apple media with this drive.  Other media should work too, but you'll have to find a brand that is OK.  Taiyo Yuden is the best.

#7 APW

APW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 05:57 PM

Ok, thanks. However, the odd thing is that I have succesfully burned two dvd's on these same Maxell discs before. I will try different media, but I am just wondering if having successfully burnt to this media discounts that as the problem or if that could just be some error/anomaly and I really do need different media?

I was using Fujifilm dvd-r's and had no problem, I'll go back to those.

#8 APW

APW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 07:37 PM

I tried to burn an imation DVD+R, but it popped up on the desktop as "Untitled CD" not "DVD", and toast said there was no burnable media in the drive, does this mean my drive can't read/burn DVD+R's and I have to make sure I use DVD-R's?

#9 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,219 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 07:19 AM

View PostAPW, on Jul 14 2006, 08:37 PM, said:

I tried to burn an imation DVD+R, but it popped up on the desktop as "Untitled CD" not "DVD", and toast said there was no burnable media in the drive, does this mean my drive can't read/burn DVD+R's and I have to make sure I use DVD-R's?
Something is definitely not working right. The drive description you posted earlier indicates that the drive supports both + and - DVD media. If it didn't support the +R disc it would have ejected it.

Try burning a DVD using iTunes, iPhoto or Disk Utility. Does it work with Apple's apps? Did you get the extended AppleCare warranty so that Apple will fix the drive problem if necessary.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#10 APW

APW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 09:14 PM

No extended warranty. I tried with apple apps and other 3rd party apps. No luck. Both my mac and my standalone dvd player think the disc is unreadable after I try to burn.

also...I will soon be reinstalling my system with OS 10.4, I have been running on 10.2.8. Any chance this will fix my problems for me?

Edited by APW, 07 August 2006 - 09:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users