Jump to content

Roxio Community

Roxio Creator .dv Files


  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bill Culbertson

Bill Culbertson

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:19 PM

I bought Roxio Creator 2011 in part because of the reputation Roxio has.  It is state in the user guide, on the software box, and on the web page that dv is a supported input file.  I spent almost $500 geting some old 16mm film digitized to a dv file so I could preserve the film and make some DVDs from this film.  Come to find out that dv is not a supported file in Creator 2011.  This was discovered after extensive working with Roxio Tech Services.  I had to purchase ImToo Video Convertor to conver the dv file to avi which work well in Creator 2011.  This was an extra expense on my part.  If you are going to digitize to dv file or have dv files I would not recommend Creator 2011.

#2 myguggi

myguggi

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,735 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:30 PM

View PostBill Culbertson, on 01 December 2010 - 01:19 PM, said:

I bought Roxio Creator 2011 in part because of the reputation Roxio has.  It is state in the user guide, on the software box, and on the web page that dv is a supported input file.  I spent almost $500 geting some old 16mm film digitized to a dv file so I could preserve the film and make some DVDs from this film.  Come to find out that dv is not a supported file in Creator 2011.  This was discovered after extensive working with Roxio Tech Services.  I had to purchase ImToo Video Convertor to conver the dv file to avi which work well in Creator 2011.  This was an extra expense on my part.  If you are going to digitize to dv file or have dv files I would not recommend Creator 2011.

I don't know what you mean by a "dv" file. Is that a format or what? If you mean DV avi then of course C2011 supports it, it is in fact one of the major formats used.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset


#3 sknis

sknis

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,448 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hou,Tx

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:31 PM

Are you sure that the files were not DiVX?  That format is not supported.   If you have more than about 1 hour of very good quality video on a single sided DVD disc, then it is probably a highly compressed video such as DiVX.
PC  Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit  
Velocity Micro ProMagix ©HD 60; evga x58 motherboard, Intel i7 @2.93, 12G RAM, 250G SSD,  EVGA Nvidia 560TI superclocked video card, SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme audio card, Buffalo external blu-ray burner; Creator 2012, Creator NXT2 Pro. PhotoShow 6, VHS to DVD 3Plus and others.

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#4 ggrussell

ggrussell

    Digital Guru

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,940 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:52 AM

Sounds like you used a service that has Mac computers which captures to .dv file format.  Unfortunate that you got some bad info.  From past experiences, the Mac .dv format is almost identical to the PC DV AVI format and sometimes just changing the file's extension will work.
Intel i7 4770k, 16GB 2400, LG 47" 3D TV, Two Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD, Hitachi 1TB HD, WD 3TB external USB3, LiteOn iHBS112 Bluray, LG WH14NS40 Bluray, ATI HD7870, Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z5500 THX certified 5.1 speakers, Epson 4490 scanner, Canon 9000Pro MarkII printer, Canon MF8380CDW, Sony TRV740 8mm digital, Canon HV20 HDV camcorder and Sony SLTA65VK for still photos, Win8 Pro 64bit
---------
System 2: HP DV7-3079wm, AMD Turion M60 2.4Ghz, $GB RAM, Patriot Pyro 128GB SSD, WD 320GB, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650, Win8 Pro 64bit.

Gary Russell
TNUSA

#5 Mister Patterson

Mister Patterson

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 11:09 AM

View PostBill Culbertson, on 01 December 2010 - 01:19 PM, said:

If you are going to digitize to dv file or have dv files I would not recommend Creator 2011.

Yes, I tested with Creator 2012, and *.dv files are not allowed through the "open file" filter.  See the attachment. Attached File  Roxio_Screenshot.PNG   14.07K   0 downloads

I am helping troubleshoot this issue after the fact, and learned that the two previous calls to technical support did not uncover the obvious file filter requirement.  How could technical support not realize that *.dv files can't be opened with Roxio?  Why does the box say that DV files are supported?

Returning the product, thanks.

#6 myguggi

myguggi

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,735 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 25 December 2011 - 11:46 AM

View PostMister Patterson, on 25 December 2011 - 11:09 AM, said:

Yes, I tested with Creator 2012, and *.dv files are not allowed through the "open file" filter.  See the attachment. Attachment Roxio_Screenshot.PNG

I am helping troubleshoot this issue after the fact, and learned that the two previous calls to technical support did not uncover the obvious file filter requirement.  How could technical support not realize that *.dv files can't be opened with Roxio?  Why does the box say that DV files are supported?

Returning the product, thanks.

You are posting to a year old thread in the C2011 forum.

Where did you get the ".dv" file? Have you tried changing the .dv to .avi"

Roxio supports DV avi without any problem.


".dv" files may be Quicktime files. Read this

Edited by myguggi, 25 December 2011 - 12:13 PM.


Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset


#7 Mister Patterson

Mister Patterson

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 12:58 PM

View Postmyguggi, on 25 December 2011 - 11:46 AM, said:

You are posting to a year old thread in the C2011 forum.

Thanks.  When I tried to search further, I received an error message from Roxio's site saying something about "flood control active, please try again in 15 minutes".  I will try again later.

Here is the file info from MediaInfo Attached File  MediaInfo_Results.PNG   7.69K   0 downloads

When I try to change extension to "mov", I receive error message: Attached File  Try_To_Open_After_Rename_To_Mov.PNG   5.86K   0 downloads

When I try to change extension to "avi", I receive error message: Attached File  Try_To_Open_After_Rename_To_Avi.PNG   5.94K   0 downloads

When I try to change extension to "qt", the file filter doesn't allow me to see/open it.

#8 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,308 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 26 December 2011 - 03:41 AM

where are you getting these files???

Is there some place we can download a copy of one or two and try them?
Posted Image

#9 Mister Patterson

Mister Patterson

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:26 AM

View PostJim_Hardin, on 26 December 2011 - 03:41 AM, said:

where are you getting these files???

Is there some place we can download a copy of one or two and try them?

Thanks, Jim.  I am troubleshooting this for someone who received a hard drive of DV files from a home video digitizer service company.  The video files wouldn't be available for download online.

I will have to give up on troubleshooting for a few reasons:
* the software won't allow *.dv files through the file filter - and I don't want to rename the hundreds of files - even if I can write a script - and it doesn't help that the "open file" dialog is custom and doesn't allow a manual "*.dv" entry
* today is holiday Monday and I travel back home this afternoon
* I tried a demo version of competing software - it isn't freeware either but it seems to work so far - so I will just purchase that one


Thanks for your help, and seasons greetings!

#10 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,308 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:14 AM

View PostMister Patterson, on 26 December 2011 - 07:26 AM, said:

Thanks, Jim.  I am troubleshooting this for someone who received a hard drive of DV files from a home video digitizer service company.  The video files wouldn't be available for download online.

I will have to give up on troubleshooting for a few reasons:
* the software won't allow *.dv files through the file filter - and I don't want to rename the hundreds of files - even if I can write a script - and it doesn't help that the "open file" dialog is custom and doesn't allow a manual "*.dv" entry
* today is holiday Monday and I travel back home this afternoon
* I tried a demo version of competing software - it isn't freeware either but it seems to work so far - so I will just purchase that one


Thanks for your help, and seasons greetings!
No, your 'conclusions' are completly wrong...

Roxio will load a "DV" file provided it meets Standards! Cleary the ones you are trying do not!

It could be a propitary file format but unless we can get one and work on it, there is nothing that can be offered :(

Since they are on a HDD, you could copy one to a file server like this one, UpForDown and then we can work on it.
Posted Image




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users