5 replies to this topic

#1 JJI

JJI

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:09 AM

Does anyone have instructions on setting up Streamer on a Comcast Modem?

#2 Beerman

Beerman

Digital Beer Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -7,095 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:46 AM

I don't but I'm not thinking the modem has anything to do with it.  If you have a router, that can certainly play a difference.
Take a look at this guide if you haven't already.  Page 6 lists some important info on router setup.
Paul
------
Custom Built ASUS P8Z77 V-Deluxe, Core i7 3770k, 16 GB Memory-ASUS ENGTX560 DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560, H80i Cooler, 750W Power Supply, COOLER MASTER HAF XM RC-922XM-KKN1 case,Corsair Force Series GS CSSD-F240GBGS-BK 2.5" 240GB SATA III SSD, InfiniTV4 & HDHomerun Tuners- running Windows 8 (and other goodies)
#2-P877WS- Core i7 3770k, 16GB Memory-GeForce GTX 650Ti, SATA III SSD, H100i cooler, 750W PS,

#3 ChuckScroggins

ChuckScroggins

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 07:45 PM

BeerMan is correct, the router part of the 'modem' is the key. You will need to map the messages recieved on the various external router ports to the same internal ports on the IP address your roxio streamer grabed from your DHCP when it started (unless you assigned a fixed ip on your internal network for it).

There may be one fly in the ointment though. Roxio has decided that their streamer was going to use the standard port 80 and give you no way to alter that port. ComCast, Cox, Verison and may other ISP providers block port 80 for most residential users. That way they can charge 'Business' customers more for service that allows port 80.

You should check with Comcast and see what ports they allow and what they block.

In anycase let's assume port 80 is blocked by your ISP, what to do?

Well one thing you can do is map a different external port (one that is not blocked) to your internal port 80 (used for HTTP protocol). Map the others as directed.

Also, while you are there, find out what your 'external' IP address is. This is the IP address assigned by your ISP to your cable 'modem'. This can change over time so you would need some sort of Dynamic IP address mapping provider if you don't like typing numbers...

Then when you get on a computer outside your home network you would type http:\\yourexternalipaddress:externalport and you will get the login page for your streamer.

For example, lets say your exteral IP address is 90.12.144.45 and you pick external port 8090 to map to your internal port 80. You would type "http://90.12.144.45:8090" to get to your Roxio Streamer. Of course inside your home network you would only need to type the IP address that Roxio Streamer has grabbed because inside your home network you are on port 80 (not the external one you picked).

I am very disappointed in Roxio for the regidity of their port mapping and the total lack of documentation for the Customer.

#4 JJI

JJI

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 11:57 AM

I opened all the ports as directed. When I am on the same network as the server everything works great. When I am at another computer outside the network I can get to the Streamer sign on screen OK but when I attempt to sign in I get "DNS Error - Server cannot be found."
I also tried to assign a different port to internal port 80 and that didn't work.
Any suggestions?

Jim

#5 gi7omy

gi7omy

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,033 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 04:29 PM

Check what IP address the software is looking for

On my machine I had allocated a fixd address (192.168.11.101) but the software was looking for 192.168.11.4. A quick change on the computer and resetting the NAT to .4 got it up and running.

Why it won't take the allocated IP number on a LAN is something I still haven't understood

Edited by gi7omy, 24 December 2010 - 04:30 PM.

If it ain't broke, fiddle with it until it breaks, then fiddle with it until you get it fixed

"Rincewind could scream for mercy in nineteen languages and just scream in another forty-four "

"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee; that will do them in."

“Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.” — Mitch Ratcliffe

Daithi

Home Brew computer
Intel I7 950 on Gigabyte X58A UD3R mobo
12 GB Three Channel DDRAM
Radeon HD4850 512 MB GDR3 graphics
Signalink USB Audio Codec for ham radio connection
1 x 160 GB, 1 x 330 GB, 1 x 400 GB IDE drives
4 x 250 GB SATA 2
LG HL-DT-ST GGW-H20L BD-RE drive
22" Acer P223W monitor

EMC 7.5 on Windows XP 32 SP3
EMC10 on Windows XP64 SP2
Creator 2011 on Windows 7 Ultimate
ECD6 on Gentoo Linux (running under VMWare)

#6 JJI

JJI

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 09:52 AM

View Postgi7omy, on 24 December 2010 - 04:29 PM, said:

Check what IP address the software is looking for

On my machine I had allocated a fixd address (192.168.11.101) but the software was looking for 192.168.11.4. A quick change on the computer and resetting the NAT to .4 got it up and running.

Why it won't take the allocated IP number on a LAN is something I still haven't understood

OK I deleted the Streamer and reinstalled it. Now when I attempt to sign in outside of my network with the network name, my sign on name and password the sign-in screen refreshes, the fields are blank, with no error message.

Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users