• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JOndrejik

JOndrejik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:06 AM

I hope this is the correct forum.  It is the only one named RecordNow so that is why I am posting here.

I recentely had to rebuild my computer.   Dell Dimension 9100, Win XP SP2.   I have DVDit 6 and RecordNow Plus 7.3 installed.   Since rebuilding and upgrading to IE 8 I get BSOD when I reboot.   The error msg points to drvmcdb.sys.   MS points to a Roxio page that has general info but no way to resolve this issue.  I see some of the older forum posts an option to get a new installer but don't see any recent traffic.

If I restart 2-3 times the system boots up and works fine.  I just get a 2-3 BSOD before the system starts.   This did not happen before I rebuilt this system.   The only new thing that I can tell is IE8.

How do I resolve this issue?

#2 Larry

Larry

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,236 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:14 AM

It could well be that IE 8 is causing the problem. It's been known to 'break' software that is older. You could try uninstalling it and rolling back to IE 6.

If you don't want to try that, or it doesn't help, try the following KB article:
http://kb.roxio.com/...S=set-locale=en
Larry
Registered Member Creator 2010 Pro, Creator 2009 Ultimate, EMC 10, 9, 8 Deluxe, 7.5, 7, ECDC 6,5,4

Dell Precision WorkStation 450 / 2 - Intel Xeon 2.80ghz CPU w/HT, 512mb L2 Cache, 533mhz Bus / 2gb RAM / 1800gb+ HDD's / NVIDIA GeForce 6200 / Lite-On 165H6S CD DVD+/- DVD+/-DL /  Plextor PX-708UF /
Hauppage WinTV HVR-950Q / Hauppage WinTV PVR PCI II 250 / Hauppage WinTV PVR USB2 / XP Pro SP3 / Windows 7

#3 JOndrejik

JOndrejik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:20 AM

View PostLarry, on 11 January 2011 - 10:14 AM, said:

It could well be that IE 8 is causing the problem. It's been known to 'break' software that is older. You could try uninstalling it and rolling back to IE 6.

If you don't want to try that, or it doesn't help, try the following KB article:
http://kb.roxio.com/...S=set-locale=en

I'd prefer not to spend the $ for an upgrade.  

If I follow the instructions to disable DLA on startup will that make it so I can't burn CDs?   Is there a way to start DLA after the system is up and DLA is needed for burning?

#4 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,076 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:18 PM

Hello,

It's not a DLA file, so there's no point in interfering with DLA. The driver seems to belong to Sonic Simple Backup.

If the occasional BSOD annoys you too much you could remove the drvmcdb.sys driver, as long as you don't need the functionality of Simple Backup and you're prepared to edit your registry with REGEDIT.

The rest of RN! seems to work okay, although I haven't had the time to test it comprehensively.

Regards,
Brendon
P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,
BENQ DW1640, in XP Pro and Windows 7

"I did it until . . "

#5 JOndrejik

JOndrejik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:34 PM

View PostBrendon, on 13 January 2011 - 03:18 PM, said:

Hello,

It's not a DLA file, so there's no point in interfering with DLA. The driver seems to belong to Sonic Simple Backup.

If the occasional BSOD annoys you too much you could remove the drvmcdb.sys driver, as long as you don't need the functionality of Simple Backup and you're prepared to edit your registry with REGEDIT.

The rest of RN! seems to work okay, although I haven't had the time to test it comprehensively.

Regards,
Brendon

I don't use the Sonic backup so removing it is a good option.   What registry key do I need to delete?

#6 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,076 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:29 PM

I've been looking a little deeper, and it might be used by DLA as well as Simple Backup, but neither uninstalling DLA nor using the Dell compatibility patch uninstalls the driver. A manual edit will, although it's a bit complicated.

Please scan through all the instructions, and don't start them unless you understand them and feel competent to finish them. :)

[1] Run Regedit, and navigate to the first instance of
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
-you should see a key entry like this. Note the top right, "DVD/CD-ROM drives"
first.jpg

[2] with the key highlighted at the left like mine, go to File > Export and backup that key to a .reg file in case you muck up and want to restore it. [If you need to restore the key, go to My Documents, find the .REG file, and double-click it.]
[3] Double-click on LowerFilters in the right-hand pane and you'll get an edit window.
Edit.jpg
-delete the line "drvmcdb" so that there's no gap between the remaining two lines, then click OK.

[4] Now go to the third instance of that key. [you did notice I had marked the first and third in my screenshot] It will show the default of "Disk Drives" at top right.
third.jpg

[5] Back it up like the you did the first one
[6] click to highlight LowerFilters, and if it has only drvmcdb in it you can delete the whole 'LowerFilters' line [sub-key] with the Del button.

You have taken out the keys which load that driver. Just to be certain, find the file drvmcdb.sys and rename it to dvrmcdb.old. This will take the driver itself out of play, but you can always rename it back if you want to return your system to how it was. There might be two copies of drvmcdb.sys on your system - rename them both.

Restart Windows and that driver should not load any more, but the process can be reversed if you want to by restoring the two .reg files and restoring the name of the .sys driver files.

Brendon
P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,
BENQ DW1640, in XP Pro and Windows 7

"I did it until . . "

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users