vocaro

The file could not be accessed. (Data fork, -43)

Question

I'm getting persistent errors when trying to backup my home directory to DVD using Toast. At first I thought I was suffering from a lot of bad discs, but then I tried backing up to a disc image on an external hard disk, and I'm seeing the same problems. So it's not a disc burning issue; it seems to be some corruption of the files in my home directory. I keep getting error messages like this one:

The file "Untitled Workspace 3.oww" could not be accessed. (Data fork, -43)

I then click OK and get another error message:

Couldn't complete the last command because a file couldn't be found.

Result Code = -43

I click OK and then Toast aborts the backup. Ick.

All right, so there's some corruption of my hard disk directory somewhere. Fine. I rebuilt the disk with Disk Warrior, repaired disk permissions, and rebooted, then tried another backup with Toast. The same "file could not be accessed" error came up, but this time with a different file.

Okay, no big deal, I can cope with a few files not being accessed. If Toast can't back them up, it can log the error and continue with the rest of the files, right?

Wrong! Do you know what Toast does? It aborts the entire backup! One file error and the whole backup set is ruined. I have to throw away whatever discs I had burned so far in that backup set.

Why does Toast do this? Why can't it just ignore the error and continue? Is this a bug?

I'm using Toast 7.1 on Mac OS X 10.4.7. Format is "Mac Only"; the Compressed and Encrypted options are turned off. Data size is about 36GB spanning 9 DVDs.

Edited by vocaro

9 answers to this question

I'm having the same problem backing up my iBook G4 with the utility Deja Vu using Toast. I run the file check at the beginning and it removes all files it cannot open. Run the backup and it stops on the 3rd DVD and says it is unable to access the file and stops. I have to reboot the Mac to eject the DVD and I am also disappointed that there is no provision for the backup to continue and make a note in the log of any files that must be skipped. I have toasted six DVDs this way and before anyone says it is a permissions thing I am the administrator. Have run repair permissions and corrected all file issues prior to attempting the Toast backup. Roxio needs to fix this ASAP.

Thanks,

Brad

Backing up your home folder isnt just as simple as copying a bunch of files. Try using the Deja Vu (system preference) that comes with Toast to create a backup of the home folder. I havent tested this myself in quite a while so let me know how it goes.

You can probably backup documents, movies, pictures, and music (all of which are simply data) but the library folder wont be that simple.

I am getting a message "The file 'journalAttr.2' could not be accessed. (Data fork, -43) when I try to burn a custom hybrid disk. There is no such file in the material that I am attempting to burn. If I burn the files on a Mac & PC or an ISO disk, all the files are fine and the birn is successful, so it does not appear to be a problem with the files I am trying to burn. The problem appears to be in the custom hybrid burn. I am using Toast 8.0.3 on an intel iMac.

I am getting a message "The file 'journalAttr.2' could not be accessed. (Data fork, -43) when I try to burn a custom hybrid disk. There is no such file in the material that I am attempting to burn. If I burn the files on a Mac & PC or an ISO disk, all the files are fine and the birn is successful, so it does not appear to be a problem with the files I am trying to burn. The problem appears to be in the custom hybrid burn. I am using Toast 8.0.3 on an intel iMac.

You should start a new thread with this post in the Toast 8 forum. I have no knowledge of this error but you might try creating a temporary partition (Toast Utilities menu) to hold the content you're burning to the hybrid CD.

You should start a new thread with this post in the Toast 8 forum. I have no knowledge of this error but you might try creating a temporary partition (Toast Utilities menu) to hold the content you're burning to the hybrid CD.

I used a temporary partition. The puzzle is that I have no problem burning these files to a disk except when using custom hybrid.

I used a temporary partition. The puzzle is that I have no problem burning these files to a disk except when using custom hybrid.

It's beyond me. You could trash the Toast plist and prefs files from your User>Library>Preferences folder and/or trash and reinstall Toast. Of course there is repairing permissions. The file sounds like something Toast is creating as part of the Custom Hybrid process but that's just a guess.

We are also having the same exact problem burning custom hybrid CDs on an Intel-based iMac with Mac OS 10.5.2. From our tests, we have been able to successfully create a custom hybrid CD with Toast 8 on a PowerMac G4, but it continues to have problems on the Intel Mac.

I am following up on this issue at the following post: http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=38253

What OS version are you using?

In my case, it is Mac OS 10.5.2 on an Intel-based iMac that is having problems when burning custom hybrid CDs.