minorushin

Toast 9 Compressing .mov File Way Too Much; Help

Question

hi:

1. i have toast 9 and recently created a .mov file via fotomagico (ie slideshow program). anyway, the actual .mov file size is 9 gigs. but when i drag that .mov file to toast 9: video: DVD-video--> toast either compresses it or thinks that it's only... 588 MB. obviously, the resulting quality of the DVD is terrible.

2. any thoughts much appreciated.

10 answers to this question

That does seem strange. What are the .mov specs (Toast describes them under the title in the Video window)? How long is it?

That does seem strange. What are the .mov specs (Toast describes them under the title in the Video window)? How long is it?

hi:

1. in regards to your question, i loaded the .mov file and the data described was as follows: apple intermediate codec, 1440 x 960, 59.94 fps, audio: MPEG-4, stereo 44100 Hz. the length of the slideshow is 9 min

2. hope this helps with figuring out what is going on.

3. again, what is strange is that the actual .mov file is 9 gigs, but when i put it in toast, it shows up at 588 mb. one thought that just came to mind is that although i set up the preferences for the .mov to be rendered at "regular" resolution, was this .mov created at HD settings?

4. anyway, hopefully someone can help.

thanks. harry

hi:

1. in regards to your question, i loaded the .mov file and the data described was as follows: apple intermediate codec, 1440 x 960, 59.94 fps, audio: MPEG-4, stereo 44100 Hz. the length of the slideshow is 9 min

2. hope this helps with figuring out what is going on.

3. again, what is strange is that the actual .mov file is 9 gigs, but when i put it in toast, it shows up at 588 mb. one thought that just came to mind is that although i set up the preferences for the .mov to be rendered at "regular" resolution, was this .mov created at HD settings?

4. anyway, hopefully someone can help.

thanks. harry

That resulting file size is about right for a 9-minute standard definition MPEG 2 video. When you checked the quality of the disc did you do that on a TV or on your Mac? If on your Mac it will only look good if shown at actual size and not full screen.

Your Fotomagico export is HD. What I would do is go back to Fotomagico and either save at the TV-quality setting or redo the slide show at that setting. A different approach may be to use Toast's Convert window to rescale the existing .mov as a DV video and then add that to the Video window to make the DVD.

That resulting file size is about right for a 9-minute standard definition MPEG 2 video. When you checked the quality of the disc did you do that on a TV or on your Mac? If on your Mac it will only look good if shown at actual size and not full screen.

Your Fotomagico export is HD. What I would do is go back to Fotomagico and either save at the TV-quality setting or redo the slide show at that setting. A different approach may be to use Toast's Convert window to rescale the existing .mov as a DV video and then add that to the Video window to make the DVD.

hi:

1. thanks for the last post. via your observations, i didn't realize that i was creating a HD file... which is strange because within fotomagico, it's been set up to create a nonHD file (i just emailed fotomagico support in regards to this). i'm now assuming that since my toast 9 isn't set up to do HD burning that the current HD file isn't recognized properly and thus being compressed from 9 gigs to 588 mb?

2. thus the my tangential question is: what kind of toast product (along with plug ins) do i need inorder to properly burn a HD movie file? associated question: will this resultant DVD (i'm assuming by definition on a bluray disc) look "good" (how will it compare to the slide show via my cpu monitor... which basically looks excellent)? the final associated question is: how does it all work in regards to burning a HD movie to a regular DVD? what are the quality results of doing this vs just burning a non HD movie to a regular DVD?

thanks for all the help. harry

hi:

1. thanks for the last post. via your observations, i didn't realize that i was creating a HD file... which is strange because within fotomagico, it's been set up to create a nonHD file (i just emailed fotomagico support in regards to this). i'm now assuming that since my toast 9 isn't set up to do HD burning that the current HD file isn't recognized properly and thus being compressed from 9 gigs to 588 mb?

2. thus the my tangential question is: what kind of toast product (along with plug ins) do i need inorder to properly burn a HD movie file? associated question: will this resultant DVD (i'm assuming by definition on a bluray disc) look "good" (how will it compare to the slide show via my cpu monitor... which basically looks excellent)? the final associated question is: how does it all work in regards to burning a HD movie to a regular DVD? what are the quality results of doing this vs just burning a non HD movie to a regular DVD?

thanks for all the help. harry

Toast 10 with its Blu-ray plug-in (I just got a promo email from Roxio offering those in the Pro version for $80) will make Blu-ray HD video discs. Yours can easily fit on to a regular DVD disc so you don't need a Blu-ray burner. Of course, you need something that can play Blu-ray discs connected to your TV. The quality is excellent.

Alternatively you can design your Fotomagico project as a widescreen 16:9 movie. Your version of Toast will then make it an anamorphic 16:9 video which improves its clarity when played on a TV even though it is standard definition. I also suggest going into the custom encoder settings window and boosting the average bit rate to at least 6 mbps and turning on Half-pel.

I know a step by step guide on how to compress MOV, MKV, MPEG, AVI, MP4, WMV, MOV, VOB, FLV, MPEG2 and more on Mac or Windows at How to Compress Video MOV, MKV, AVI, MP4, MPEG, FLV, WMV, VOB?

Besides compressing video to smaller files size, this guide also applies to compress audio to smaller file size, and applies to convert video to other video or audio formats

Hope it helps more or less

The size of the video is dependent on four main factors: video dimensions, video quality, video length and compression type.

to keep the original quality, you can do some change in video dimension and compression type.

converting the mov files to an flv file with h.264 codec is a good choice.

see: How to convert mov to flv file

-Darth

The size of the video is dependent on four main factors: video dimensions, video quality, video length and compression type.

to keep the original quality, you can do some change in video dimension and compression type.

-Darth

I agree, the flv video always have small size.

-Darth

Almost all video-sharing websites and social networks like YouTube, Vimeo and Facebook use FLV format for online video streaming. Maybe that is why FLV become more and more popular over the internet.

I know a step by step guide on how to compress MOV, MKV, MPEG, AVI, MP4, WMV, MOV, VOB, FLV, MPEG2 and more on Mac or Windows at How to Compress Video MOV, MKV, AVI, MP4, MPEG, FLV, WMV, VOB?

Besides compressing video to smaller files size, this guide also applies to compress audio to smaller file size, and applies to convert video to other video or audio formats

Hope it helps more or less

I think the guide that this link points to is useful.