11 replies to this topic

#1 PaBear

PaBear

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:21 PM

I'm working to create my first DVD in Creator 2010, and I want a title on the menu. When I enter the text and look at it on my computer, the text resolution looks awful. Is this appearance really the way the text will look in the finished product? Is there a way to improve the resolution?
Thanks

#2 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,735 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:11 PM

View PostPaBear, on 06 February 2011 - 05:21 PM, said:

I'm working to create my first DVD in Creator 2010, and I want a title on the menu. When I enter the text and look at it on my computer, the text resolution looks awful. Is this appearance really the way the text will look in the finished product? Is there a way to improve the resolution?
Thanks

Since we have no idea what your title looks like we have no way of commenting on the quality. Perhaps you can attach a screen shot of the title image.
We have no idea how you went about creating the DVD? What quality setting did you use? Give us as much information as possible. At the moment we have none except for "it looks awful"

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#3 PaBear

PaBear

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:47 PM

View Postmyguggi, on 06 February 2011 - 07:11 PM, said:

Since we have no idea what your title looks like we have no way of commenting on the quality. Perhaps you can attach a screen shot of the title image.
We have no idea how you went about creating the DVD? What quality setting did you use? Give us as much information as possible. At the moment we have none except for "it looks awful"

Ok. Here's at least some relevant information. I'm piecing together the DVD using MyDVD and importing a Slide Show movie created with VideoWave. In MyDVD, all I've done so far is to add an Intro Movie and a Main Menu Background Image. The Quality is set to Fit to Disc and I've only used 78.7MB of the 4.7GB. The Background Image is 8MB. The Main Menu text was added using the Add Text button. An image captured from MyDVD Preview Screen is attached. To my eye, the text looks hashed as if the resolution were not high enough.

It might help if there were a way to do a full screen preview of a production as it develops - the only sure way I know of to assess the visual appearance of a video before burning. Is there a way?

Thank you.

Attached Images

• M&H Menu Screen.jpg

#4 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,735 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:49 PM

View PostPaBear, on 07 February 2011 - 03:47 PM, said:

Ok. Here's at least some relevant information. I'm piecing together the DVD using MyDVD and importing a Slide Show movie created with VideoWave. In MyDVD, all I've done so far is to add an Intro Movie and a Main Menu Background Image. The Quality is set to Fit to Disc and I've only used 78.7MB of the 4.7GB. The Background Image is 8MB. The Main Menu text was added using the Add Text button. An image captured from MyDVD Preview Screen is attached. To my eye, the text looks hashed as if the resolution were not high enough.

It might help if there were a way to do a full screen preview of a production as it develops - the only sure way I know of to assess the visual appearance of a video before burning. Is there a way?

Thank you.

The quality of the video in the preview window generally is much inferior to the final video on the DVD. Also, stay away from Fit-to-Disc, it gives about the worst quality possible if your production were to become longer then 60 minutes.

Forget about file sizes when talking about video for  a DVD. A standard 4.7GB DVD can only hold 60 minutes of video using the HQ (best) quality setting and that is what you really should be using. Forget about "refining" the menu page at the beginning of your DVD project, that is best done at the end. Once you add some movies to your project (they will appear as Titles on the main menu page) they will very well overwrite your existing menu anyway.

Do you have the free video player VLC? If not download it. You can then use it to play an iso image file. To create the iso file, just select the option to create image file and uncheck "burn to disc" Once you have created the iso file, simply use VLC to play it. That should give you a good idea of what your project looks like at full screen.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
SoundMAX Digital Audio
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit

#5 PaBear

PaBear

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:33 AM

View Postmyguggi, on 07 February 2011 - 05:49 PM, said:

The quality of the video in the preview window generally is much inferior to the final video on the DVD. Also, stay away from Fit-to-Disc, it gives about the worst quality possible if your production were to become longer then 60 minutes.

Forget about file sizes when talking about video for  a DVD. A standard 4.7GB DVD can only hold 60 minutes of video using the HQ (best) quality setting and that is what you really should be using. Forget about "refining" the menu page at the beginning of your DVD project, that is best done at the end. Once you add some movies to your project (they will appear as Titles on the main menu page) they will very well overwrite your existing menu anyway.

Do you have the free video player VLC? If not download it. You can then use it to play an iso image file. To create the iso file, just select the option to create image file and uncheck "burn to disc" Once you have created the iso file, simply use VLC to play it. That should give you a good idea of what your project looks like at full screen.

Thanks for your help. I'll follow your suggestions. I was suspicious of relying on the Preview, but didn't know how to test things out short of finishing the production. Saving the iso file should enable intermediate 'test runs.'

OBTW - I only mention the image file size because I made a 'quick' slide show video using much smaller image files, and that video suffered badly with all of the images pixelating when the video ran.

Thanks.

#6 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,735 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:50 AM

View PostPaBear, on 08 February 2011 - 10:33 AM, said:

Thanks for your help. I'll follow your suggestions. I was suspicious of relying on the Preview, but didn't know how to test things out short of finishing the production. Saving the iso file should enable intermediate 'test runs.'

OBTW - I only mention the image file size because I made a 'quick' slide show video using much smaller image files, and that video suffered badly with all of the images pixelating when the video ran.

Thanks.

I don't know what you consider much smaller image files.

None of the photo files I use in my slideshows are > 2MB and most of them are in the 500kb to 1mb range and I have no pixelation. There really is no need for using large photo files that have very high resolution unless you are going to zoom in a lot. For standard DVD video all resolutions are converted to 720x480 anyway

Walt

SoundMAX Digital Audio

#7 PaBear

PaBear

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:22 PM

View Postmyguggi, on 08 February 2011 - 10:50 AM, said:

I don't know what you consider much smaller image files.

None of the photo files I use in my slideshows are > 2MB and most of them are in the 500kb to 1mb range and I have no pixelation. There really is no need for using large photo files that have very high resolution unless you are going to zoom in a lot. For standard DVD video all resolutions are converted to 720x480 anyway

Your advice has been quite helpful, and has taken me over several hurdles. However, as I started closing out the project and began recording, I ran into some more issues and questions. But before listing my queries, let me give a bit of context. The project is fairly simple (I think): I've got an introductory video that fades into the menu screen; I've got an audio track for the intro; the menu has only one selection - the main movie, which is really a slide show; I've got an audio track for the slide show/movie; and I've got rolling credits at the end. So , here go the questions...
1. Following your suggestion, I saved various stages (and now the final stage) of the project as iso files; downloaded the VLC utility; and tried playing the video. However, the player never plays the intro movie; it just displays the menu and plays the main video. It's hard to preview the transition from intro movie to menu this way. Note - the progress slider in VLC always jumps from the beginning to a point several seconds into the video. I don't know if this indicates a jump over the intro video or not.
2. I've tried to add audio to the menu segment, using the "Change Menu Background Audio" button. The audio appears to load, and plays properly if I use the "Preview Project" button. (The only difficulty with using this button is the discontinuous jump from Intro to Menu and main video.) If I then save the project and reload it, the menu background audio is gone. That background audio also does not record when I burn a DVD. The rest of the project does record properly if I burn using the "Burn Project" button from within the Roxio MyDVD program. Any suggestions about how I'm supposed to attach, edit and record menu background audio?
3. I've tried creating an iso file as part of the burn process. However, when I try to burn a DVD from the iso file, I run into all sorts of problems. The into movie does not play properly, only playing part way followed by a blank screen until the menu pops up. The menu background audio does not play. During the main movie/slide show, there are gaps during which random individual slides (and their transitions) are not played. This lack of iso file fidelity is recurrent. In other words, burning from the iso file always leads to a corrupted video, although if I regenerate the iso file it is not always the same slides that are skipped - the intro movie is always truncated. Any suggestions?

I know there will be limits to what you can advise without a copy of the project and/or the iso file. However, I'd really appreciate your help.

Thanks.

#8 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,735 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:15 PM

View PostPaBear, on 14 February 2011 - 05:22 PM, said:

Your advice has been quite helpful, and has taken me over several hurdles. However, as I started closing out the project and began recording, I ran into some more issues and questions. But before listing my queries, let me give a bit of context. The project is fairly simple (I think): I've got an introductory video that fades into the menu screen; I've got an audio track for the intro; the menu has only one selection - the main movie, which is really a slide show; I've got an audio track for the slide show/movie; and I've got rolling credits at the end. So , here go the questions...
1. Following your suggestion, I saved various stages (and now the final stage) of the project as iso files; downloaded the VLC utility; and tried playing the video. However, the player never plays the intro movie; it just displays the menu and plays the main video. It's hard to preview the transition from intro movie to menu this way. Note - the progress slider in VLC always jumps from the beginning to a point several seconds into the video. I don't know if this indicates a jump over the intro video or not.
2. I've tried to add audio to the menu segment, using the "Change Menu Background Audio" button. The audio appears to load, and plays properly if I use the "Preview Project" button. (The only difficulty with using this button is the discontinuous jump from Intro to Menu and main video.) If I then save the project and reload it, the menu background audio is gone. That background audio also does not record when I burn a DVD. The rest of the project does record properly if I burn using the "Burn Project" button from within the Roxio MyDVD program. Any suggestions about how I'm supposed to attach, edit and record menu background audio?
3. I've tried creating an iso file as part of the burn process. However, when I try to burn a DVD from the iso file, I run into all sorts of problems. The into movie does not play properly, only playing part way followed by a blank screen until the menu pops up. The menu background audio does not play. During the main movie/slide show, there are gaps during which random individual slides (and their transitions) are not played. This lack of iso file fidelity is recurrent. In other words, burning from the iso file always leads to a corrupted video, although if I regenerate the iso file it is not always the same slides that are skipped - the intro movie is always truncated. Any suggestions?

I know there will be limits to what you can advise without a copy of the project and/or the iso file. However, I'd really appreciate your help.

Thanks.

I very seldom have a Intro movie so I have not much experience playing with it.
I just did a very short project with a 30 sec Intro movie, a main menu title page and a 2 minute movie giving me one Title on the menu page. I also changed the menu audio to another audio clip. I then burned to an iso file.

Using VLC the movie opens at the menu page with the menu audio that I added. The Intro movie does not play at start up. You can get your project to play from the Intro movie though by doing the following: On the VLC menu bar select Playback, then Title and then Title 1 from the drop-down menu. Your video should now play the Intro movie and when finished switch to the menu page.

As to your other problems I have no idea as I have no idea how your project is set up, the time length of your project and your burn quality settings. Another source of problems may be your render method used. In Videowave or my DVD, under Tools/Options switch to the alternate render setting. If now at Hardware, set it to Software or vice versa.

Walt

SoundMAX Digital Audio

#9 PaBear

PaBear

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:09 PM

View Postmyguggi, on 14 February 2011 - 08:15 PM, said:

I very seldom have a Intro movie so I have not much experience playing with it.
I just did a very short project with a 30 sec Intro movie, a main menu title page and a 2 minute movie giving me one Title on the menu page. I also changed the menu audio to another audio clip. I then burned to an iso file.

Using VLC the movie opens at the menu page with the menu audio that I added. The Intro movie does not play at start up. You can get your project to play from the Intro movie though by doing the following: On the VLC menu bar select Playback, then Title and then Title 1 from the drop-down menu. Your video should now play the Intro movie and when finished switch to the menu page.

As to your other problems I have no idea as I have no idea how your project is set up, the time length of your project and your burn quality settings. Another source of problems may be your render method used. In Videowave or my DVD, under Tools/Options switch to the alternate render setting. If now at Hardware, set it to Software or vice versa.

Thanks for the quick response and test run. Here's what I've done and found since:

1. Your VLC suggestion worked like a charm. Once I've asked it to play Title 1, the Intro movie plays every time.
2. I opened the same old project and re-added the Main Menu music. It plays in the in-program (MyDVD) preview mode. I then, with the modified project open, burned the project to an ISO file without burning a DVD. The new ISO file plays, with intro movie and main menu music in VLC. Just to check, I went back to the still-open MyDVD and previewed the project - it played as before with intro movie and main menu music.
3. Then I saved the project, closed MyDVD, re-started MyDVD, and re-opened the just-saved project. This time the preview mode played the intro movie, but did not play any main menu music. Gremlins are at work!

In the morning, I'll check that the most recent ISO file still plays properly in VLC. If so, I'll try burning a DVD with rather conservative settings.

Thanks for the help. And if you get any inspiration about the gremlins that continue to lurk I'd appreciate an update.

Thanks.

#10 PaBear

PaBear

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:43 AM

View PostPaBear, on 14 February 2011 - 09:09 PM, said:

Thanks for the quick response and test run. Here's what I've done and found since:

1. Your VLC suggestion worked like a charm. Once I've asked it to play Title 1, the Intro movie plays every time.
2. I opened the same old project and re-added the Main Menu music. It plays in the in-program (MyDVD) preview mode. I then, with the modified project open, burned the project to an ISO file without burning a DVD. The new ISO file plays, with intro movie and main menu music in VLC. Just to check, I went back to the still-open MyDVD and previewed the project - it played as before with intro movie and main menu music.
3. Then I saved the project, closed MyDVD, re-started MyDVD, and re-opened the just-saved project. This time the preview mode played the intro movie, but did not play any main menu music. Gremlins are at work!

In the morning, I'll check that the most recent ISO file still plays properly in VLC. If so, I'll try burning a DVD with rather conservative settings.

Thanks for the help. And if you get any inspiration about the gremlins that continue to lurk I'd appreciate an update.

Thanks.

Well, I appear to have been a bit hasty in thinking the last ISO burn was satisfactory. The menu music may have been ok, but I still get dropout of random slides deeper into the video. I've tried changing the rendering method, but that only introduces older problems, i.e., black backgrounds get covered up with previous slides, etc.

I can only conclude that Roxio Creator and MyDVD are just not reliable and cannot be used for anything other than the most rudimentary productions.

I appreciate your attempts to help, but your efforts cannot make up for flawed software.

Thanks.

#11 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,312 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:58 AM

Nothing wrong with the software, you just don't have a video card capible of using it...

List the specs, make & model of your card as well as the current drivers and software for it.
Posted Image

#12 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,735 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:38 AM

View PostPaBear, on 15 February 2011 - 09:43 AM, said:

Well, I appear to have been a bit hasty in thinking the last ISO burn was satisfactory. The menu music may have been ok, but I still get dropout of random slides deeper into the video. I've tried changing the rendering method, but that only introduces older problems, i.e., black backgrounds get covered up with previous slides, etc.

I can only conclude that Roxio Creator and MyDVD are just not reliable and cannot be used for anything other than the most rudimentary productions.

I appreciate your attempts to help, but your efforts cannot make up for flawed software.

Thanks.

Your conclusion is wrong! There is nothing "flawed" with the software. I have no problems similar to what you are having and have created many projects that are much more "complicated" then what you are doing. Either you video card/graphics adaptor is not up to the task or there is something has become corrupt in your install or you are having some other interference on your system

Walt

SoundMAX Digital Audio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users