23 replies to this topic

#1 daisy10

daisy10

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:52 PM

Although I purchased Roxio 2009 creator in 2009, I recently installed it.  I was buring a dvd and my cd/dvd drive stopped working.  It keeps telling me to put in a disk.  I've tried all kinds of disks, but it won't read anything.  Does Roxio change settings?  I've deleted and reinstalled the driver but that didn't work.  Now I've deleted Roxio and nothing still works.

#2 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,430 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:01 PM

I've deleted and reinstalled the driver but that didn't work.

What driver where and how did you do it?

Open Device Manager, right click on the drive and left click uninstall.

Reboot the PC and see if the drive comes alive.

U.jpg
cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Computer Specs click show.
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
3.Click here CD-DVD Speed
4.Click here CD-DVD Speed - A user guide
5.Click here Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x.
6.Click hereYou can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
8.Click here  How to uninstall IE 7 and WMP 11.
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
11.Click here   Complete Uninstall of Creator 2011 & Creator 2012
12.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows Vista and 7)
13.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows XP)
14.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 9 & 10 on Windows Vista  
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility
17. Click here Finding Your Computer Specs And Roxio Software Version Number.

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

Do not post your email address on any public forum!  

#3 daisy10

daisy10

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:15 AM

yes, that is how i uninstalled it and when i rebooted, it found the device and installed the driver. i should say i've spent days reading microsoft forums, dell forums, the roxio recommendations and have done every trouble shooter, microsoft fix it....and have done everything that was written for other people...so maybe there's nothing left to do other than take it somewhere (which i don't want to do)...i think i read somewhere that roxio can cause this type of problem. Is there anything left to do? Thanks for you response.

#4 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,430 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:40 AM

View Postdaisy10, on 09 February 2011 - 08:15 AM, said:

yes, that is how i uninstalled it and when i rebooted, it found the device and installed the driver. i should say i've spent days reading microsoft forums, dell forums, the roxio recommendations and have done every trouble shooter, microsoft fix it....and have done everything that was written for other people...so maybe there's nothing left to do other than take it somewhere (which i don't want to do)...i think i read somewhere that roxio can cause this type of problem. Is there anything left to do? Thanks for you response.

What operating system are you installing C2009 on x32 or x64?

Is the drive seen in my computer?

Is the drive seen in Device Manager and are there any yellow explanation marks next to it?

Can you use the drive in any software application like Windows Media Player?

You aren't running Internet Explorer 9 Beta are you?

Answer all the questions please.
cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

#5 daisy10

daisy10

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:45 AM

View Postcdanteek, on 09 February 2011 - 08:40 AM, said:

What operating system are you installing C2009 on x32 or x64?

My operating system is Windows XP, Media Center Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 3 (not sure what x32 or x64 means)- if you still need that, where do i find that info?

Is the drive seen in my computer?

Yes the drive is seen on my computer

Is the drive seen in Device Manager and are there any yellow explanation marks next to it?

It is seen in device manager and there is no yellow explanation mark. the status is: This device is working properly.

Can you use the drive in any software application like Windows Media Player?

No, I cannot use the drive in any application.  I've tried all kinds of applications cd's/dvd's.  The drive light turns green for about 2 seconds, but it always says to put a disk in the drive (and I've tried many type of disks).  I don't know if this matters or not, but I'm able to get the drive to open and close with my keyboard, so there is some communication.

You aren't running Internet Explorer 9 Beta are you?

No, it's Internet Explorer version 8

Answer all the questions please.

Thank you for your time and help.

Edited to get replies out of the quotes.

Edited by grandpabruce, 09 February 2011 - 02:34 PM.

#6 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,430 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:56 AM

No, I cannot use the drive in any application. I've tried all kinds of applications cd's/dvd's. The drive light turns green for about 2 seconds, but it always says to put a disk in the drive (and I've tried many type of disks). I don't know if this matters or not, but I'm able to get the drive to open and close with my keyboard, so there is some communication.

If you try to play a audio CD or a DVD neither will work and it asks to put a disk in the drive?

I ask because the DVD Drive has two lasers one for CD's and one for DVD's, I doubt both have failed at the same time.

Do you have a any emulated drives like DAEMON Tools installed?

How about packet writing software like Roxio Direct CD, Drag to Disc, or Nero InCD?

If you put a installation disc in the drive will it auto start and want to install the disc?
cd
Spoiler

#7 daisy10

daisy10

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:03 PM

View Postcdanteek, on 09 February 2011 - 11:56 AM, said:

If you try to play a audio CD or a DVD neither will work and it asks to put a disk in the drive?

neither work and no matter what program i'm in or what i'm doing or what type of disk i put in, it tries to read it and then says to put the disk in.

I ask because the DVD Drive has two lasers one for CD's and one for DVD's, I doubt both have failed at the same time.

Do you have a any emulated drives like DAEMON Tools installed?
I don't think so

How about packet writing software like Roxio Direct CD, Drag to Disc, or Nero InCD?
My computer came with a basic Roxio program on it.  I never used it.  I've used media player to try to copy things to a disk as well as just trying to save files to it.

If you put a installation disc in the drive will it auto start and want to install the disc?

I've put a couple installation disks in to see if it install,  the light turns green for a second, then nothing happens.  

#8 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,430 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:11 PM

My computer came with a basic Roxio program on it. I never used it. I've used media player to try to copy things to a disk as well as just trying to save files to it.

The basic Roxio Program and the bought Retail C2009 are not installed?

I've put a couple installation disks in to see if it install, the light turns green for a second, then nothing happens.

In XP is auto play turned on or not?

Look in Control Panel under AutoPlay.

I still doubt both CD and DVD Lasers went bad at once.

Do you have a friend or someone with computer skills come and look at the PC?
cd
Spoiler

#9 daisy10

daisy10

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:46 PM

View Postcdanteek, on 09 February 2011 - 12:11 PM, said:

The basic Roxio Program and the bought Retail C2009 are not installed?

I deleted the Retail C2009, but the basic Roxio is still on my computer.

In XP is auto play turned on or not?

Look in Control Panel under AutoPlay.

I can't find auto play in the control panel.  If I look in My Computer on the properties for the cd/dvd player, there's an auto play option, but it's default is set at music and ask which option to use each time is checked.  Is that what i'm looking for or is it something else in the control panel.

I still doubt both CD and DVD Lasers went bad at once.

Do you have a friend or someone with computer skills come and look at the PC?

There is someone I can ask to come over which I will do.  Thank you again for all your time and suggestions.

#10 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,430 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:49 PM

Have you tried the PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update?

# 7 in my signature, download the zip file, unzip it and run the .exe, then reboot the PC.
cd
Spoiler

#11 daisy10

daisy10

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:08 PM

View Postcdanteek, on 09 February 2011 - 12:49 PM, said:

Have you tried the PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update?

# 7 in my signature, download the zip file, unzip it and run the .exe, then reboot the PC.

just tried that and it didn't fix it.

#12 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,430 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:11 PM

View Postdaisy10, on 09 February 2011 - 01:08 PM, said:

just tried that and it didn't fix it.

Have your friend come over and poke it with a stick.

Let us know how it goes.
cd
Spoiler

#13 daisy10

daisy10

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:07 PM

View Postcdanteek, on 09 February 2011 - 01:11 PM, said:

Have your friend come over and poke it with a stick.

i'll do that if i don't smash it with a hammer first!

Let us know how it goes.

I will. Thanks again.

#14 daisy10

daisy10

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:40 PM

one more thing...i can't stop looking at things.  If I go to My Computer, I see the drive listed: DVD-RW Drive (D:), if I right click it and click on format, it says
              Format D:-RoxioDLA  
              Waiting for device.
              Device my be disconnected or may be in use by another program.
Does this mean anything to you?

#15 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,430 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 05:05 PM

View Postdaisy10, on 09 February 2011 - 04:40 PM, said:

one more thing...i can't stop looking at things.  If I go to My Computer, I see the drive listed: DVD-RW Drive (D:), if I right click it and click on format, it says
              Format D:-RoxioDLA  
              Waiting for device.
              Device my be disconnected or may be in use by another program.
Does this mean anything to you?

DLA is packet writing software I asked you about in post #6!

Look in add remove programs for it listed.

Do you use it?

If not uninstall it.
cd
Spoiler

#16 daisy10

daisy10

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 05:54 PM

View Postcdanteek, on 09 February 2011 - 05:05 PM, said:

DLA is packet writing software I asked you about in post #6!

Look in add remove programs for it listed.

Do you use it?

If not uninstall it.

Sorry, I thought that was part of the basic Roxio program that came on my computer (which is 3 years old and i've never had a problem before installing the roxio creator)... I removed Roxio DLA and rebooted, still doesn't work.  These are still on my computer though (and always have been) Roxio MyDVDLE, Roxio Record Now Audio, Copy, Data and Roxio update manager, should I remove those as well?

#17 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,430 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:44 PM

View Postdaisy10, on 09 February 2011 - 05:54 PM, said:

Sorry, I thought that was part of the basic Roxio program that came on my computer (which is 3 years old and i've never had a problem before installing the roxio creator)... I removed Roxio DLA and rebooted, still doesn't work.  These are still on my computer though (and always have been) Roxio MyDVDLE, Roxio Record Now Audio, Copy, Data and Roxio update manager, should I remove those as well?

What brand of PC did the software come with and does it have a name before you uninstall it? From the

Home page of the Roxio LE Software click Help, About This Software, look for a version # and tell us.

Then we can point you to a uninstall procedure to clean up all the remnants and hopefully get your

drive working again.

If you have C2009 disc to reinstall it is way better than the OEM that came installed on your PC.

If that's your plan to uninstall them? If you don't have a installation disc's for the OEM software it

will be lost forever.
cd
Spoiler

#18 daisy10

daisy10

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:55 AM

View Postcdanteek, on 09 February 2011 - 07:44 PM, said:

What brand of PC did the software come with and does it have a name before you uninstall it? From the

Home page of the Roxio LE Software click Help, About This Software, look for a version # and tell us.

Then we can point you to a uninstall procedure to clean up all the remnants and hopefully get your

drive working again.

If you have C2009 disc to reinstall it is way better than the OEM that came installed on your PC.

If that's your plan to uninstall them? If you don't have a installation disc's for the OEM software it

will be lost forever.

My computer is a Dell Dimension E520.  It was Roxio v. 1.0.0  I deleted it as I never used it, but still no luck.

#19 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,430 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:06 AM

View Postdaisy10, on 10 February 2011 - 07:55 AM, said:

My computer is a Dell Dimension E520.  It was Roxio v. 1.0.0  I deleted it as I never used it, but still no luck.

Another guru and I have been discussing your problem and we think your drive hardware has failed. Not the two lasers like we talked earlier but the servo motor part of the drive.

I hope your Dell Dimension E520 is a desktop? You can buy a new DVD/CD/RW Drive cheap these days $19.99 to $25.99, just don't go to Dell to buy one.

You need to find out if your PC has IDE or SATA connectors for the drive you have installed?

Then buy a new drive with the same connection.

If it's a micro PC case pay close attention to the new drives length compared to the one in your PC that's went belly up.

Here is one place to buy a replacement drive>>

http://www.newegg.co...=CD-DVD-Burners

Hopefully your friend will help with this it's really a easy thing to do, if you know how to open both sides of the case and can use a screw driver. ;)

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Edited by cdanteek, 10 February 2011 - 08:18 AM.

cd
Spoiler

#20 daisy10

daisy10

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:05 AM

View Postcdanteek, on 10 February 2011 - 08:06 AM, said:

Another guru and I have been discussing your problem and we think your drive hardware has failed. Not the two lasers like we talked earlier but the servo motor part of the drive.

I hope your Dell Dimension E520 is a desktop? You can buy a new DVD/CD/RW Drive cheap these days $19.99 to $25.99, just don't go to Dell to buy one.

You need to find out if your PC has IDE or SATA connectors for the drive you have installed?

Then buy a new drive with the same connection.

If it's a micro PC case pay close attention to the new drives length compared to the one in your PC that's went belly up.

Here is one place to buy a replacement drive>>

http://www.newegg.co...=CD-DVD-Burners

Hopefully your friend will help with this it's really a easy thing to do, if you know how to open both sides of the case and can use a screw driver. ;)

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Okay, I'll try getting a new one and see how that goes.  I appreciate all your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users