1 reply to this topic

#1 Jo Bird

Jo Bird

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 09:53 AM

Hello,

My father desperately wants to save LPs to CD but we're having technical and sound problems and I need someone to explain this to me in really simple terms, please.

I have a laptop running Roxio Creator 2011 running on Windows Vista Home.
I have an ION portable USB turntable.

When I attach the turntable directly to my laptop via the USB cable, I can record sounds and they seem OK, but when I play back the recording, it sort of stutters. The best way I can describe it is that the music sounds like it's under water.

Do I need to plug the turntable into an amplifier first and then connect the amplifier to my PC? Any tips would be greatly appreciated, my retired father is very keen to do this as soon as possible, and I'm a full-time worker with very little spare time!

Jo

#2 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,421 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 12:03 PM

View PostJo Bird, on 11 February 2011 - 09:53 AM, said:

Hello,

My father desperately wants to save LPs to CD but we're having technical and sound problems and I need someone to explain this to me in really simple terms, please.

I have a laptop running Roxio Creator 2011 running on Windows Vista Home.
I have an ION portable USB turntable.

When I attach the turntable directly to my laptop via the USB cable, I can record sounds and they seem OK, but when I play back the recording, it sort of stutters. The best way I can describe it is that the music sounds like it's under water.

Do I need to plug the turntable into an amplifier first and then connect the amplifier to my PC? Any tips would be greatly appreciated, my retired father is very keen to do this as soon as possible, and I'm a full-time worker with very little spare time!

Jo

Jo, You do not need to do anything with that ION USB device.  You are capturing fine.

First, make sure that the internal mic is turned OFF.  How you do that depends on your computer manufacturer.

Make sure that NOTHING else is running at the same time you are capturing -- especially your anti-virus. It may be trying to scan the audio file as you are trying to capture it.  You should also use that little switch to disconnect from the Internet.

Please post the specs on the laptop or the make and manufacturer.

You may also need to play around with the settings on your Vista computer - both the capture from and the playback to make sure those are set up right.

Do a quick trial and come back to let us know how it goes.
PC  Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit  
Velocity Micro ProMagix ©HD 60; evga x58 motherboard, Intel i7 @2.93, 12G RAM, 250G SSD,  EVGA Nvidia 560TI superclocked video card, SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme audio card, Buffalo external blu-ray burner; Creator 2012, Creator NXT2 Pro. PhotoShow 6, VHS to DVD 3Plus and others.

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users