• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Chuck Puckett

Chuck Puckett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 04:29 AM

I've got a DVD that mas made by a videographer of a play performance (eg, not commercial). When I attempt to copy the DVD using Roxio, I get nothing playable. I can see two folders on the original DVD: AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS. When Roxio, without complaint, finishes the 7-8 minute "copy", there are no such folders on the target DVD. In desperation, I've tried just copying the folders to my hard drive, then copy them back to a blank DVD. On the attempt to copy to blank DVD, Drag to Disc gets in the act, and then fails to copy.

Any help here? Roxann was one of the most frustrating computer experiences in recent memory, a blood-pressure building set of dead ends. And she's ugly to boot!

Chuck "not a vidiot, but close" Puckett

#2 Beerman

Beerman

Digital Beer Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -7,208 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 04:37 AM

View PostChuck Puckett, on Jul 24 2006, 07:29 AM, said:

I've got a DVD that mas made by a videographer of a play performance (eg, not commercial). When I attempt to copy the DVD using Roxio, I get nothing playable. I can see two folders on the original DVD: AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS. When Roxio, without complaint, finishes the 7-8 minute "copy", there are no such folders on the target DVD. In desperation, I've tried just copying the folders to my hard drive, then copy them back to a blank DVD. On the attempt to copy to blank DVD, Drag to Disc gets in the act, and then fails to copy.

Any help here? Roxann was one of the most frustrating computer experiences in recent memory, a blood-pressure building set of dead ends. And she's ugly to boot!

Chuck, have you tried capturing the dvd to your hard drive? Try using that feature instead.  I don't know why it would not copy with Disc Copy but using Drag to Disc will not work.
Paul
------
Custom Built ASUS P8Z77 V-Deluxe, Core i7 3770k, 16 GB Memory-ASUS ENGTX560 DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560, H80i Cooler, 750W Power Supply, COOLER MASTER HAF XM RC-922XM-KKN1 case,Corsair Force Series GS CSSD-F240GBGS-BK 2.5" 240GB SATA III SSD, InfiniTV4 & HDHomerun Tuners- running Windows 8 (and other goodies)
#2-P877WS- Core i7 3770k, 16GB Memory-GeForce GTX 650Ti, SATA III SSD, H100i cooler, 750W PS,

#3 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,421 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:26 AM

If it was done by a professional videographer and sells these, then that person could have used a program that will not allow you to copy it. If he is a friend ask him what program he used to make the disc.

View PostChuck Puckett, on Jul 24 2006, 07:29 AM, said:

PC  Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit  
Velocity Micro ProMagix ©HD 60; evga x58 motherboard, Intel i7 @2.93, 12G RAM, 250G SSD,  EVGA Nvidia 560TI superclocked video card, SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme audio card, Buffalo external blu-ray burner; Creator 2012, Creator NXT2 Pro. PhotoShow 6, VHS to DVD 3Plus and others.

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#4 Chuck Puckett

Chuck Puckett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 02:05 PM

View PostBeerman, on Jul 24 2006, 04:37 AM, said:

Chuck, have you tried capturing the dvd to your hard drive? Try using that feature instead.  I don't know why it would not copy with Disc Copy but using Drag to Disc will not work.

When you say "capture DVD to hard drive", I don't quite follow. "capture" to me means "have a video source" (like a tape or camera), and then Firewire or something in. Are you saying, play the DVD on a player, then, while it's playing, capture it back as MPEG. Whew. Seems like you might degrade a bit, depending on the h/w.

Or do you mean something else? I've already done a straight copy of DVD to harddrive, both as disk image, and copying the folders on the DVD to harddrive. Both fail in subsequent attempts to create a new DVD.

I've got a call into the videographer to see if he's got some copy protection on.

#5 vid2man97

vid2man97

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 05:39 PM

[quote name='Chuck Puckett' date='Jul 24 2006, 02:05 PM' post='39250']
When you say "capture DVD to hard drive", I don't quite follow. "capture" to me means "have a video source" (like a tape or camera), and then Firewire or something in. Are you saying, play the DVD on a player, then, while it's playing, capture it back as MPEG. Whew. Seems like you might degrade a bit, depending on the h/w.

[color=#3366FF]He means to put the DVD in your computer, then click "capture" on the application menu.  You should see your DVD drive (with the DVD in it) as a "source".  Once the capture is finished, you can go to DVD Builder and burn to DVD.  This should work for you.  Unless, there is some protection of sorts...and as I can see, you have called about it.

good luck
"I'd rather be happy than right any day of the week"

i7 950
300 gig velociraptor
1000 gig WD
12 gig DDR3
2-Pioneer burners
ATI 5670 1gig card
Win7 Pro 64bit
750W Thermaltake ps

#6 ml

ml

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,048 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 08:39 PM

Let's back up a minute and try a bit more troubleshooting.

It sounds to me like you're trying to copy a DVD using Disk Copier and the program appears to copy the DVD, but you have nothing burned to the DVD.

Is that correct or is something else happening?

If that's what is happening, then it sounds like you have a communication problem with the burner.  

If it was a copy protection problem, I don't think you would be able to create an 'image file' or burn the DVD to your hard drive.
ml

flying squirrel......"It's more of a gliding thing....."

Intel® Core™2 Duo 2.2 Ghz desktop processor E4500;
3GB DDR2 memory;
DL DVD±RW/CD-RW drive;
500GB SATA 7200 rpm hard drive;
Windows Vista Home Premium ,
ATI RADEON HD 2400,Built-in TV tuner , High-definition audio (8-speaker support), HDMI
Multiformat media reader,
IEEE 1394 (FireWire) interface and 6 high-speed USB 2.0 ports,
PCI card with 4 USB 2.0 and 2 IEEE 1394 ports,
10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet

#7 Chuck Puckett

Chuck Puckett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 08:41 PM

View Postmlpasley, on Jul 24 2006, 08:39 PM, said:

Let's back up a minute and try a bit more troubleshooting.

It sounds to me like you're trying to copy a DVD using Disk Copier and the program appears to copy the DVD, but you have nothing burned to the DVD.

Is that correct or is something else happening?

If that's what is happening, then it sounds like you have a communication problem with the burner.  

If it was a copy protection problem, I don't think you would be able to create an 'image file' or burn the DVD to your hard drive.
That is what's happening: copy to disk, no errors, copy to DVD, no errors; Then nothing useful copied.

#8 ml

ml

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,048 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 08:53 PM

View PostChuck Puckett, on Jul 24 2006, 11:41 PM, said:

That is what's happening: copy to disk, no errors, copy to DVD, no errors; Then nothing useful copied.

Is this a new pack of DVDs?

You might have to visit the DVD burner/computer manufacturer's website to see if there are any updates for that burner.

Normally, you'd get an error message if you were trying to copy a copy protected DVD.
ml

3GB DDR2 memory;
DL DVD±RW/CD-RW drive;
ATI RADEON HD 2400,Built-in TV tuner , High-definition audio (8-speaker support), HDMI

#9 Chuck Puckett

Chuck Puckett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 11:29 AM

View Postmlpasley, on Jul 24 2006, 08:53 PM, said:

Is this a new pack of DVDs?

You might have to visit the DVD burner/computer manufacturer's website to see if there are any updates for that burner.

Normally, you'd get an error message if you were trying to copy a copy protected DVD.

Tried different brands of DVDs, same result. It's weird. No error message (well, I did get an err message one time, a couple of data write errors, but I've tried many times, with no error). I've tried slower write speed, etc., with no luck. I had just recently done a series of backups to DVD, those all went without a hitch, backup data is good.

It's my HPzd8000 internal DVD drive, never given any problem, I've created several video DVDs in the past.

Videographer says no copy protection, and even so, as everyone has noted, would receive an error if there were.

I hate software/hardware mysteries. Of course, they generally always get solved, since it is, after all, a deterministic appliance.

#10 ml

ml

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,048 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 12:39 PM

Well, if you're not getting write error messages or any other kind of messages, then the program thinks that it is successfully writing to the DVD.

Are you using Disk Copier to try to copy that DVD? Have you installed any new programs lately?

As a workaround.... if I remember correctly, you said that you have copied that DVD to an 'image file' (.iso) on your hard drive. Try using Creator Classic to burn that .iso file to a DVD. The .iso file contains all the information that you need to burn the DVD and you should be able to use any DVD burning program including Creator Classic to burn the DVD itself.

In Creator Classic, choose Other Tasks on the left and then Burn from a Disk Image file.

The other possibility is that you've got a hardware problem that occurred after you burned those backup DVDS.

Edited by mlpasley, 25 July 2006 - 12:43 PM.

ml

3GB DDR2 memory;
DL DVD±RW/CD-RW drive;

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users