• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Owls

Owls

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:52 AM

If I save a videowave production (to archive it) will this save the entire production photos, music, and data?
Will I be able then to reproduce a DVD from this file even if I switch from Windows XP in the future to Windows 7 or whatever?

#9 Larry

Larry

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,238 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:36 PM

Best Answer

View PostOwls, on 23 March 2011 - 11:43 AM, said:

Thank you Larry.  The .iso file is saved under a Roxio icon.  With a new computer and those .iso files downloaded onto a new computer, am I to understand I don't have to have Roxio software in my new computer in order to copy those saved .iso files onto DVDs.  Just wondering.
Also, what is the difference between a .iso file and a .global file...?  (don't remember the initials).  Roxio also asked if I wanted to save my project with that extension.  
Whew...a lot to learn.

The 'Roxio' icon you see, when looking at the file, just means that is the 'default' program Windows has 'associated' with .ISO files. If a different program was the Windows 'default' for burning .ISO files, like the Imgburn one noted in an earlier post, you would be seeing it's icon instead. So as has been noted, you do not need a 'Roxio' brand program to burn the file to a disc, any Disc Image burning software can do that.

There isn't much difference really between an .ISO file and a .GI (Global Image file). The ISO one is a more universal extension that the majority of disc image burning programs can recognize and burn discs from. The GI one is less universally recognized by other disc image burning programs, altho most of them will recognize it as a disc image file. It's a common disc image extension used by Sonic in particular when making a disc image file and is an option in your Roxio software because it was added as an option when Sonic bought Roxio a few years back.

To better understand what a Disc Image file is, try using the following Google link to some articles that you may find helpful:
http://www.google.co...26d2f4496b7882f
Larry
Registered Member Creator 2010 Pro, Creator 2009 Ultimate, EMC 10, 9, 8 Deluxe, 7.5, 7, ECDC 6,5,4

Dell Precision WorkStation 450 / 2 - Intel Xeon 2.80ghz CPU w/HT, 512mb L2 Cache, 533mhz Bus / 2gb RAM / 1800gb+ HDD's / NVIDIA GeForce 6200 / Lite-On 165H6S CD DVD+/- DVD+/-DL /  Plextor PX-708UF /
Hauppage WinTV HVR-950Q / Hauppage WinTV PVR PCI II 250 / Hauppage WinTV PVR USB2 / XP Pro SP3 / Windows 7

#2 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,813 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 01:37 PM

OWLS:

Your post was misplaced.  this often happens if there is one reply and someone marks it as solved.  I looked at the preview of your post and copied it here.

"If I save a videowave production (to archive it) will this save the entire production photos, music, and data? Will I be able then to reproduce a DVD from this file even if I switch from Windows XP in the future to Windows 7 or whatever?"

I don't know who replied or what the answer was.

Edited by sknis, 22 March 2011 - 01:38 PM.

PC  
Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin):  Windows 8.1 64 bit, I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#3 Larry

Larry

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,238 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:38 PM

View PostOwls, on 22 March 2011 - 11:52 AM, said:

If I save a videowave production (to archive it) will this save the entire production photos, music, and data?
Will I be able then to reproduce a DVD from this file even if I switch from Windows XP in the future to Windows 7 or whatever?

No, saving the Videowave production [filename.dmsm] does not save any of your source material with it. It only saves a set of 'instructions' on the location of your source files, editing markups, effects added, etc. All of the original source files (including the applications effects, transitions, etc...) need to be in their original location if you want to reuse the project file.

If you actually 'burn' a Disc Image file (filename.iso) from MyDVD of yuor production [which your subject suggest that might be what you are actually asking about], then yes that image file can be used to burn additional copies to disc.
Larry
Registered Member Creator 2010 Pro, Creator 2009 Ultimate, EMC 10, 9, 8 Deluxe, 7.5, 7, ECDC 6,5,4

Dell Precision WorkStation 450 / 2 - Intel Xeon 2.80ghz CPU w/HT, 512mb L2 Cache, 533mhz Bus / 2gb RAM / 1800gb+ HDD's / NVIDIA GeForce 6200 / Lite-On 165H6S CD DVD+/- DVD+/-DL /  Plextor PX-708UF /
Hauppage WinTV HVR-950Q / Hauppage WinTV PVR PCI II 250 / Hauppage WinTV PVR USB2 / XP Pro SP3 / Windows 7

#4 Owls

Owls

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 04:28 PM

Thanks...I have the .iso file now saved in my computer...so if I purchase a new version of Creator in the future and this .iso file is in my new computer with a new version of Windows, I can copy the DVD with the .iso file into my new computer and play my old saved production and make more new copies for my children and grandchildren?

#5 Larry

Larry

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,238 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:35 PM

View PostOwls, on 22 March 2011 - 04:28 PM, said:

Thanks...I have the .iso file now saved in my computer...so if I purchase a new version of Creator in the future and this .iso file is in my new computer with a new version of Windows, I can copy the DVD with the .iso file into my new computer and play my old saved production and make more new copies for my children and grandchildren?

Yes that is correct. Any burning software that can burn disc image files can burn that file to a disc.
Larry

#6 gi7omy

gi7omy

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,033 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:46 AM

There's also a free application called 'Imgburn' that will write a disc fom a .iso file

http://www.imgburn.com/
If it ain't broke, fiddle with it until it breaks, then fiddle with it until you get it fixed

"Rincewind could scream for mercy in nineteen languages and just scream in another forty-four "

"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee; that will do them in."

“Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.” — Mitch Ratcliffe

Daithi

Home Brew computer
Intel I7 950 on Gigabyte X58A UD3R mobo
12 GB Three Channel DDRAM
Radeon HD4850 512 MB GDR3 graphics
Signalink USB Audio Codec for ham radio connection
1 x 160 GB, 1 x 330 GB, 1 x 400 GB IDE drives
4 x 250 GB SATA 2
LG HL-DT-ST GGW-H20L BD-RE drive
22" Acer P223W monitor

EMC 7.5 on Windows XP 32 SP3
EMC10 on Windows XP64 SP2
Creator 2011 on Windows 7 Ultimate
ECD6 on Gentoo Linux (running under VMWare)

#7 Owls

Owls

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:43 AM

Thank you Larry.  The .iso file is saved under a Roxio icon.  With a new computer and those .iso files downloaded onto a new computer, am I to understand I don't have to have Roxio software in my new computer in order to copy those saved .iso files onto DVDs.  Just wondering.
Also, what is the difference between a .iso file and a .global file...?  (don't remember the initials).  Roxio also asked if I wanted to save my project with that extension.  
Whew...a lot to learn.

#8 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,943 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:08 PM

View PostOwls, on 23 March 2011 - 11:43 AM, said:

Whew...a lot to learn.

You do not need any Roxio program to burn iso files to a DVD but you do need a program that will burn such files to a DVD.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users