• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 jazzjet

jazzjet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 07:56 AM

I was looking forward to trying out the new Spin Doctor in Toast 11. But what on earth has happened? I don't mind the slick interface but very little else seems to work.
I have tried to record a vinyl LP using the USB Audio Codec setting. The sound plays through the speakers OK and the record button look as though it functions. However,
when the recording finishes, I click on the stop button and then on Done. The result - nothing! The latest time Spin Doctor just quit. No screen with track information etc as in previous versions. It just takes me
back to the opening screen. And I've no idea whether the recording exists on my hard disc or, indeed, where it is.
This is after I've downloaded the latest update by the way. Still no Help file - why not?
I'm running 10.6.7 on an iMac. I have used CD Spin Doctor included with Toast 8 with some success and this latest version is a major disappointment.
Can someone take note of this and fix it please?

#2 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,599 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:50 PM

I wrote a basic guide to the new Spin Doctor here.. The problem you're experiencing is likely due to the presence of some Bias VST plugins in your root>Library>Audio>Plugins>VST folder. These will be there if you have Bias Peak or other audio application from Bias other than SoundSoap. You'll need to temporarily remove those plugins while using Spin Doctor. Apparently Spin Doctor is trying to load those plugins when it should leave them alone and that is causing the crash. If you don't have any Bias plugins then some other audio VST plugins are likely the issue. What I've done is set up my main Mac for use with Bias apps and set up my MacBook Pro for use with Spin Doctor. I hope Roxio fixes this. They are aware of it.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#3 jazzjet

jazzjet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:58 AM

View Posttsantee, on 03 April 2011 - 02:50 PM, said:

I wrote a basic guide to the new Spin Doctor here.. The problem you're experiencing is likely due to the presence of some Bias VST plugins in your root>Library>Audio>Plugins>VST folder. These will be there if you have Bias Peak or other audio application from Bias other than SoundSoap. You'll need to temporarily remove those plugins while using Spin Doctor. Apparently Spin Doctor is trying to load those plugins when it should leave them alone and that is causing the crash. If you don't have any Bias plugins then some other audio VST plugins are likely the issue. What I've done is set up my main Mac for use with Bias apps and set up my MacBook Pro for use with Spin Doctor. I hope Roxio fixes this. They are aware of it.
Thanks for your help. It is much appreciated.
I don't see why I should have to mess around like this with plug ins. That's not what I paid for. I will carry on using my version of Spin Doctor included with Toast 8.
As you say, Roxio should fix this - and soon.

#4 Lazarillo

Lazarillo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:48 AM

I am attempting to convert music from vinyl discs to digital using Spin Doctor.  I want to record selected individual songs, not entire albums.  I have encountered two major problems so far.

The pause button in Spin Doctor does not seem to work.  I record a track from a vinyl disc and hit pause when it is finished.  It appears that the recording has paused, since the timer readout is stopped.  I then find, cue up, and test the next track to record.  When I start the disc and hit record, the timer takes a big jump, rather than continuing from where it was stopped, and records the second song.  When finished I hit stop, and move to the next screen.  On the wave form there is the first song, followed by silence, any snippets of tracks that were played while cueing up the second song, and then the second song.  So, there might be the three minutes of the first song, followed by a minute of garbage, followed by the three minutes of the second song. Thus, the pause button is not stopping the recording, even though nothing is being registered on the timer while the button in “depressed.”  The wave form has recorded everything (or nothing) that was going on from when the record button was first pressed until the recording is stopped—even what was happening when the pause was theoretically in effect.  The final reading on the timer includes the total of the first track, the time elapsed when one thought the recording was paused, and the second track.  I have been unable to pause, and actually have the recording stop, then resume recording additional tracks.

Defining the tracks on the waveform seems defective.  Let’s say I define two tracks; the first is three minutes, and the second is four minutes.  When I send the tracks to either Toast or iTunes, the track divisions do not work correctly.  The second track will be correct, at four minutes.  The first track, however, will be seven minutes, and it includes both the first and the second song.  In other words, the first exported track contains the entire waveform, while the second track is correctly defined.  I have not succeeded in getting the tracks to break correctly.

I have been successfully using Spin Doctor for many years, having had Toast 6, 8, and 10, before upgrading to Toast 11.  Either the new Spin Doctor is so greatly changed that experience with prior versions does not prepare one to use it (and there seems to be no documentation available), or the new Spin Doctor has problems.

#5 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,599 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:02 PM

View PostLazarillo, on 07 April 2011 - 09:48 AM, said:

I am attempting to convert music from vinyl discs to digital using Spin Doctor.  I want to record selected individual songs, not entire albums.  I have encountered two major problems so far.

The pause button in Spin Doctor does not seem to work.  I record a track from a vinyl disc and hit pause when it is finished.  It appears that the recording has paused, since the timer readout is stopped.  I then find, cue up, and test the next track to record.  When I start the disc and hit record, the timer takes a big jump, rather than continuing from where it was stopped, and records the second song.  When finished I hit stop, and move to the next screen.  On the wave form there is the first song, followed by silence, any snippets of tracks that were played while cueing up the second song, and then the second song.  So, there might be the three minutes of the first song, followed by a minute of garbage, followed by the three minutes of the second song. Thus, the pause button is not stopping the recording, even though nothing is being registered on the timer while the button in “depressed.”  The wave form has recorded everything (or nothing) that was going on from when the record button was first pressed until the recording is stopped—even what was happening when the pause was theoretically in effect.  The final reading on the timer includes the total of the first track, the time elapsed when one thought the recording was paused, and the second track.  I have been unable to pause, and actually have the recording stop, then resume recording additional tracks.

Defining the tracks on the waveform seems defective.  Let’s say I define two tracks; the first is three minutes, and the second is four minutes.  When I send the tracks to either Toast or iTunes, the track divisions do not work correctly.  The second track will be correct, at four minutes.  The first track, however, will be seven minutes, and it includes both the first and the second song.  In other words, the first exported track contains the entire waveform, while the second track is correctly defined.  I have not succeeded in getting the tracks to break correctly.

I have been successfully using Spin Doctor for many years, having had Toast 6, 8, and 10, before upgrading to Toast 11.  Either the new Spin Doctor is so greatly changed that experience with prior versions does not prepare one to use it (and there seems to be no documentation available), or the new Spin Doctor has problems.
Spin Doctor X seems unfinished. When I tried sending tracks to Toast it got the first one wrong (just a few seconds in length). I suggest only using it for capturing audio and then save the file as 16-bit AIFF and use CD Spin Doctor from Toast 10 to do the track marking and filtering.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#6 akamai22

akamai22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:56 AM

View Posttsantee, on 07 April 2011 - 06:02 PM, said:

Spin Doctor X seems unfinished. When I tried sending tracks to Toast it got the first one wrong (just a few seconds in length). I suggest only using it for capturing audio and then save the file as 16-bit AIFF and use CD Spin Doctor from Toast 10 to do the track marking and filtering.

I just discovered this discussion and first want to thank you for your attempt to produce a User Guide.  It has been helpful.  I have been having the same problems as the other commenters above and I am REALLY angry and disappointed with Roxio for releasing such buggy software without any user documentation.
I looked for VST items in my library and finding none, I did a search for "BIAS" and found that an old version of SoundSoap (from Toast 2 !!) had left one in the Library under "Converters".  I removed this as well as SoundSoap.
I have one other problem: every time I start my computer the speakers are turned off.  When I go to "Sound" in the preferences panel, the selection is "Spin Doctor capture support"; if I then select internal speakers all is well, until the next time I start the computer.  I have deleted every Roxio preference I can find, and still this happens.  I can't seem to remove the "Spin Doctor Capture Support" option from the Sound pane either.  Any suggestions as to how to fix this?
Also,  I want to go back to the old CD Spin Doctor as this new version has cost me about 20 hours of lost time due to incomplete recording and other frustrations cited in this thread by other users.  How do I go about COMPLETELY removing Spin Doctor?  I can't find an Uninstall option...

#7 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,599 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 02:47 PM

View Postakamai22, on 21 April 2011 - 09:56 AM, said:

I just discovered this discussion and first want to thank you for your attempt to produce a User Guide.  It has been helpful.  I have been having the same problems as the other commenters above and I am REALLY angry and disappointed with Roxio for releasing such buggy software without any user documentation.
I looked for VST items in my library and finding none, I did a search for "BIAS" and found that an old version of SoundSoap (from Toast 2 !!) had left one in the Library under "Converters".  I removed this as well as SoundSoap.
I have one other problem: every time I start my computer the speakers are turned off.  When I go to "Sound" in the preferences panel, the selection is "Spin Doctor capture support"; if I then select internal speakers all is well, until the next time I start the computer.  I have deleted every Roxio preference I can find, and still this happens.  I can't seem to remove the "Spin Doctor Capture Support" option from the Sound pane either.  Any suggestions as to how to fix this?
Also,  I want to go back to the old CD Spin Doctor as this new version has cost me about 20 hours of lost time due to incomplete recording and other frustrations cited in this thread by other users.  How do I go about COMPLETELY removing Spin Doctor?  I can't find an Uninstall option...
The new Spin Doctor doesn't use the Spin Doctor capture support extension any more. I wasn't sure about this but I became suspicious when it didn't attempt to install anything when it first launched. I thought that might be because that extension was already present from CD Spin Doctor in Toast 10. So to check this out I removed the capture support extension, shut down and restarted my Mac so it no longer showed in the Sound System Preferences panel and then used Spin Doctor X to capture some music playing from iTunes. Worked fine.

This means you're in a bit of a Catch-22. If you want the Spin Doctor capture support extension gone then you can't do streaming audio captures with the older CD Spin Doctor. To remove it go to the System>Library>Extensions folder and you should find a file called CDSDAudioCaptureSupport.kext. After you trash it you need to restart your Mac to remove it from System Preferences (you may even need to do a shut down and restart). By the way, I haven't had the problem of it remaining selected after quitting CD Spin Doctor.

You don't need the capture support extension installed to use CD Spin Doctor. You just can't do capture of audio streaming on your Mac from online. Fortunately the new Spin Doctor X does that very well. So one strategy is to use Spin Doctor X to capture the streaming audio then save it as a full-quality AIFF file. Use CD Spin Doctor for your track work on that file.

What exactly was failing you when trying to use the new Spin Doctor X? Were you able to make a recording with it? It shouldn't be any problem leaving the Sound Soap plugin installed (it isn't for me). But other non-Apple VST plugins may be a problem. Did you look for them in all the Libraries?

#8 Zoony

Zoony

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:28 PM

View Posttsantee, on 21 April 2011 - 02:47 PM, said:

The new Spin Doctor doesn't use the Spin Doctor capture support extension any more. I wasn't sure about this but I became suspicious when it didn't attempt to install anything when it first launched. I thought that might be because that extension was already present from CD Spin Doctor in Toast 10. So to check this out I removed the capture support extension, shut down and restarted my Mac so it no longer showed in the Sound System Preferences panel and then used Spin Doctor X to capture some music playing from iTunes. Worked fine.

This means you're in a bit of a Catch-22. If you want the Spin Doctor capture support extension gone then you can't do streaming audio captures with the older CD Spin Doctor. To remove it go to the System>Library>Extensions folder and you should find a file called CDSDAudioCaptureSupport.kext. After you trash it you need to restart your Mac to remove it from System Preferences (you may even need to do a shut down and restart). By the way, I haven't had the problem of it remaining selected after quitting CD Spin Doctor.

You don't need the capture support extension installed to use CD Spin Doctor. You just can't do capture of audio streaming on your Mac from online. Fortunately the new Spin Doctor X does that very well. So one strategy is to use Spin Doctor X to capture the streaming audio then save it as a full-quality AIFF file. Use CD Spin Doctor for your track work on that file.

What exactly was failing you when trying to use the new Spin Doctor X? Were you able to make a recording with it? It shouldn't be any problem leaving the Sound Soap plugin installed (it isn't for me). But other non-Apple VST plugins may be a problem. Did you look for them in all the Libraries?

If I understand, you are suggesting using the older Spin Doctor for editing? Unfortunately I'm having a weird experience with CD Spin Doctor / Toast 10. It captures audio OK, but when I create a track to 'save to disk', it ignores my in and out points, and saves the wrong part of the track. (see attached picture) It went wrong a few days ago after an update from Apple! Have uninstalled, reinstalled many times, including CDSDAudioCaptureSupport.kext and preference files, and used the latest download Toast 10 update from Roxio, Toast_10_Titanium_1008_564.dmg.   Nothing I have tried works! Do you think Toast 11 would fix this? Obviously it's useful to be able to edit audio once it has been saved. But if I cant edit the track with Spin Doctor X, there isn't much point upgrading! Grateful for any thoughts/suggestions!

Attached Files

#9 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,599 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 05:23 PM

View PostZoony, on 30 June 2011 - 06:28 PM, said:

If I understand, you are suggesting using the older Spin Doctor for editing? Unfortunately I'm having a weird experience with CD Spin Doctor / Toast 10. It captures audio OK, but when I create a track to 'save to disk', it ignores my in and out points, and saves the wrong part of the track. (see attached picture) It went wrong a few days ago after an update from Apple! Have uninstalled, reinstalled many times, including CDSDAudioCaptureSupport.kext and preference files, and used the latest download Toast 10 update from Roxio, Toast_10_Titanium_1008_564.dmg.   Nothing I have tried works! Do you think Toast 11 would fix this? Obviously it's useful to be able to edit audio once it has been saved. But if I cant edit the track with Spin Doctor X, there isn't much point upgrading! Grateful for any thoughts/suggestions!
Try selecting the track in the track list and dragging it to the desktop. I need to do some toying with this but I'm on vacation and don't have the time right now. As I recall you can save to the hard drive by dragging the track, but you drag from the list where the titles are rather than from the waveform. (Oh, I'm referring to CD Spin Doctor and not Spin Doctor X).

Edited by tsantee, 01 July 2011 - 06:35 PM.

#10 Zoony

Zoony

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:45 PM

View Posttsantee, on 01 July 2011 - 05:23 PM, said:

Try selecting the track in the track list and dragging it to the desktop. I need to do some toying with this but I'm on vacation and don't have the time right now. As I recall you can save to the hard drive by dragging the track, but you drag from the list where the titles are rather than from the waveform.
Many thanks for the reply, especially while on vacation! Really sorry to bother you! Just to let you know, I tried you suggestion and yes you can drag the track to the desktop from the list. Unfortunately it's still saving the wrong part - not the selected track. It saves from the very beginning of the captured waveform, not the in-point of the highlighted track. BUT following your idea - if I drag it to Toast instead of desktop, (Convert option), the in and out points of selected track are exactly right as intended. I can then save it as an edited track.  It's long-winded, but at least a workaround!  No idea why 'save to disk' has suddenly stopped working properly. Just wondered what you think of Toast 11?  I've read your tips and trick and wondered how you find it for editing a track? Just to explain, I don't use multiple tracks or auto-define. I just like to record audio as a single track, then manually trim the start and end before saving it. Sorry to bother you again. Many thanks again. Grateful for any thoughts when you have time to reply!

Edited by Zoony, 01 July 2011 - 06:46 PM.

#11 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,599 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 06:09 AM

View PostZoony, on 01 July 2011 - 06:45 PM, said:

Many thanks for the reply, especially while on vacation! Really sorry to bother you! Just to let you know, I tried you suggestion and yes you can drag the track to the desktop from the list. Unfortunately it's still saving the wrong part - not the selected track. It saves from the very beginning of the captured waveform, not the in-point of the highlighted track. BUT following your idea - if I drag it to Toast instead of desktop, (Convert option), the in and out points of selected track are exactly right as intended. I can then save it as an edited track.  It's long-winded, but at least a workaround!  No idea why 'save to disk' has suddenly stopped working properly. Just wondered what you think of Toast 11?  I've read your tips and trick and wondered how you find it for editing a track? Just to explain, I don't use multiple tracks or auto-define. I just like to record audio as a single track, then manually trim the start and end before saving it. Sorry to bother you again. Many thanks again. Grateful for any thoughts when you have time to reply!
I appreciate your finding a workaround and sharing it. I, too, am wondering why the problem exists in the first place. With the exception of what I consider an unfinished Spin Doctor X I am pleased overall with Toast 11. I wish I had some inside knowledge about what Roxio is planning to do about Spin Doctor X. It seems Roxio is very understaffed on the Mac software side and has one person who is allowed to work on Spin Doctor only on his/her lunch breaks. Obviously that's in jest. I'm sure it can be worked on during coffee breaks, too. At first I was glad to hear they rewrote Spin Doctor from the ground up. It needed it. I want this new version to work as intended.

As for your track editing, since you aren't trying to create multiple tracks you can instead use the track trim feature in Toast. Make sure "Show advanced audio mastering settings" is selected in the Audio tab of Toast Preferences. The track trim appears by clicking on the time length of the track and selecting Track Trim from the popup window. If you need to see the waveform to determine a start or stop time click the left (for start) or right (for end) Fades button and choose Custom.

#12 Zoony

Zoony

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 05:24 PM

View Posttsantee, on 02 July 2011 - 06:09 AM, said:

I appreciate your finding a workaround and sharing it. I, too, am wondering why the problem exists in the first place. With the exception of what I consider an unfinished Spin Doctor X I am pleased overall with Toast 11. I wish I had some inside knowledge about what Roxio is planning to do about Spin Doctor X. It seems Roxio is very understaffed on the Mac software side and has one person who is allowed to work on Spin Doctor only on his/her lunch breaks. Obviously that's in jest. I'm sure it can be worked on during coffee breaks, too. At first I was glad to hear they rewrote Spin Doctor from the ground up. It needed it. I want this new version to work as intended.

As for your track editing, since you aren't trying to create multiple tracks you can instead use the track trim feature in Toast. Make sure "Show advanced audio mastering settings" is selected in the Audio tab of Toast Preferences. The track trim appears by clicking on the time length of the track and selecting Track Trim from the popup window. If you need to see the waveform to determine a start or stop time click the left (for start) or right (for end) Fades button and choose Custom.

Many thanks again for your reply. The editing in CD Spin Doctor (Toast 10) has always been very convenient and quick. In the waveform window, you just drag the 'In' and 'Out' points to where you want the track to begin and end, you then 'save-to-disk' and it's done! (Unfortunately - this is the feature that has gone wrong and apparently can't be fixed!). Using the zoom feature and 'seeing' the waveform is necessary as this way you can edit very accurately where you want the saved track to start and end. So if I upgraded to Toast 11 with Spin Doctor X, are you saying that feature doesn't exist? Or it has to be done in Toast rather than within Spin Doctor itself? If that's so, that sounds a backwards step! My workaround (dragging the edited track to Toast > Convert Audio Files) does the job - but it's not as a quick as 'save to disk', the way it is supposed to work! I still have no idea why this has gone wrong, or why uninstalling and re-installing doesn't fix it. Perhaps there is an unknown plist file somewhere. May be a coincidence, but it went wrong after an Apple update!

#13 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,599 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 07:41 PM

View PostZoony, on 03 July 2011 - 05:24 PM, said:

Many thanks again for your reply. The editing in CD Spin Doctor (Toast 10) has always been very convenient and quick. In the waveform window, you just drag the 'In' and 'Out' points to where you want the track to begin and end, you then 'save-to-disk' and it's done! (Unfortunately - this is the feature that has gone wrong and apparently can't be fixed!). Using the zoom feature and 'seeing' the waveform is necessary as this way you can edit very accurately where you want the saved track to start and end. So if I upgraded to Toast 11 with Spin Doctor X, are you saying that feature doesn't exist? Or it has to be done in Toast rather than within Spin Doctor itself? If that's so, that sounds a backwards step! My workaround (dragging the edited track to Toast > Convert Audio Files) does the job - but it's not as a quick as 'save to disk', the way it is supposed to work! I still have no idea why this has gone wrong, or why uninstalling and re-installing doesn't fix it. Perhaps there is an unknown plist file somewhere. May be a coincidence, but it went wrong after an Apple update!
My advice about the track trim feature in Toast is unrelated to what Spin Doctor X can or cannot do. I'm just pointing out that Toast has that ability to select a portion of a track in case you want to do it there instead of with Spin Doctor.

With the latest version of Spin Doctor X I have no trouble marking tracks. The waveform can be enlarged both horizontally and vertically (it's good to also zoom the window to full screen). Manually marking tracks is as simple as clicking and dragging. It is also easy to adjust the start and end points of a track with either the handles on the track markers or adjusting the time setting in the General tab. However, none of this seems to matter because any tracks I mark appear in Toast, iTunes or the hard drive as less than one second in length. If you click the Options button next to a track you'll see the option to save to disk as well as to send to iTunes or send to Toast. When sending to Toast it always goes to the audio CD window. I wish I could also send it to the Convert window. Of course, it isn't sending the full track which makes it all a waste of time.

The recording aspect of Spin Doctor X is an improvement over the previous version. But that's all that works correctly for me.

#14 prl

prl

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 11:45 PM

Some more oddities in Spin Doctor X 1.0.1 (v582), OS X 10.6.8, MacBook Pro 2.26GHz:
  • In Preferences>Advanced, I can't change the Scratch Location. Clicking on Choose does nothing. I can select in the Scratch Location typein box with the mouse, but typing does nothing. Workaround is to shut down Spin Doctor and open /Users/<myself>/Library/Preferences/com.roxio.spindoctorx.plist in Property List Editor and change the ISPreferenceKey_ScratchLocation property. :ninja:
  • In the Sources panel and looking at the Built-in Input, all the pre-set quality options (Voice Quality, CD Quality, etc) select 44100Hz, 16 bit, stereo when you look at them in the Options popup panel. Selecting the same presets in the Options panel also always chooses 44100Hz, 16 bit, stereo. I'd expect CD Quality to be 44100Hz, 16 bit, stereo and the others to be something different. Selecting custom settings changes the settings seen in the Options popup, but only after you've clicked on OK, and then gone back into the Options panel.
  • No matter what the settings are in the Sources panel, recordings from the Built-in Input always show in the editor panel 44100Hz, 32 bit, stereo, even if the Options panel set a higher sampling rate than 44100Hz.
  • When custom settings other than 44100Hz, 16 bit, stereo are chosen, and a recording started, the recording time often ticks over faster than real time.
  • Pausing the recording pauses the recording time indicator and the size indicator, but doesn't seem to actually pause the recording. When you click it again to "resume" the recording, the recording time and recording size jump forward, and the recording itself contains material recorded while the recording was "paused".
  • As noted by others, Track Duration in the track selection panel is completely, utterly, totally, irredeemably broken.
:o

Some wishes:
  • Make CD Quality the default quality setting, or have the default quality setting set in Preferences (assuming that the pre-set quality settings are changed so that they actually have different sampling settings).
  • Remember the Quality setting from one recording to another in the same run of Spin Doctor, so you can more conveniently do a set of recordings at the same quality. Currently, each new recording is initially Voice Quality (which I assume should be something like 8kHz, 16 bits, stereo).
  • Allow <Enter> to start/pause a recording as well as clicking on the Rec/Pause button, assuming that Pause is made to work properly.

#15 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,599 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:34 AM

View Postprl, on 03 July 2011 - 11:45 PM, said:

Some more oddities in Spin Doctor X 1.0.1 (v582), OS X 10.6.8, MacBook Pro 2.26GHz:
  • In Preferences>Advanced, I can't change the Scratch Location. Clicking on Choose does nothing. I can select in the Scratch Location typein box with the mouse, but typing does nothing. Workaround is to shut down Spin Doctor and open /Users/<myself>/Library/Preferences/com.roxio.spindoctorx.plist in Property List Editor and change the ISPreferenceKey_ScratchLocation property. :ninja:
  • In the Sources panel and looking at the Built-in Input, all the pre-set quality options (Voice Quality, CD Quality, etc) select 44100Hz, 16 bit, stereo when you look at them in the Options popup panel. Selecting the same presets in the Options panel also always chooses 44100Hz, 16 bit, stereo. I'd expect CD Quality to be 44100Hz, 16 bit, stereo and the others to be something different. Selecting custom settings changes the settings seen in the Options popup, but only after you've clicked on OK, and then gone back into the Options panel.
  • No matter what the settings are in the Sources panel, recordings from the Built-in Input always show in the editor panel 44100Hz, 32 bit, stereo, even if the Options panel set a higher sampling rate than 44100Hz.
  • When custom settings other than 44100Hz, 16 bit, stereo are chosen, and a recording started, the recording time often ticks over faster than real time.
  • Pausing the recording pauses the recording time indicator and the size indicator, but doesn't seem to actually pause the recording. When you click it again to "resume" the recording, the recording time and recording size jump forward, and the recording itself contains material recorded while the recording was "paused".
  • As noted by others, Track Duration in the track selection panel is completely, utterly, totally, irredeemably broken.
:o

Some wishes:
  • Make CD Quality the default quality setting, or have the default quality setting set in Preferences (assuming that the pre-set quality settings are changed so that they actually have different sampling settings).
  • Remember the Quality setting from one recording to another in the same run of Spin Doctor, so you can more conveniently do a set of recordings at the same quality. Currently, each new recording is initially Voice Quality (which I assume should be something like 8kHz, 16 bits, stereo).
  • Allow <Enter> to start/pause a recording as well as clicking on the Rec/Pause button, assuming that Pause is made to work properly.
Astonishing. And sad.

#16 prl

prl

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 11:10 PM

View PostLazarillo, on 07 April 2011 - 09:48 AM, said:

I've had this problem, too.

#17 Zoony

Zoony

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:21 PM

View Posttsantee, on 03 July 2011 - 07:41 PM, said:

My advice about the track trim feature in Toast is unrelated to what Spin Doctor X can or cannot do. I'm just pointing out that Toast has that ability to select a portion of a track in case you want to do it there instead of with Spin Doctor.

With the latest version of Spin Doctor X I have no trouble marking tracks. The waveform can be enlarged both horizontally and vertically (it's good to also zoom the window to full screen). Manually marking tracks is as simple as clicking and dragging. It is also easy to adjust the start and end points of a track with either the handles on the track markers or adjusting the time setting in the General tab. However, none of this seems to matter because any tracks I mark appear in Toast, iTunes or the hard drive as less than one second in length. If you click the Options button next to a track you'll see the option to save to disk as well as to send to iTunes or send to Toast. When sending to Toast it always goes to the audio CD window. I wish I could also send it to the Convert window. Of course, it isn't sending the full track which makes it all a waste of time.

The recording aspect of Spin Doctor X is an improvement over the previous version. But that's all that works correctly for me.

You mentioned "when sending to Toast it always goes to the audio CD window. I wish I could also send it to the Convert window".

I don't know if this would work for Spin Doctor X, but my solution in CD Spin Doctor (Toast 10) is to open Toast while Spin Doctor is still open. Select the Convert window. Then drag the track from Spin Doctor to the Convert window. That seems to work for me - and also preserves the in and out points of the marked up track. Be interested to know if it works in Spin Doctor X!

#18 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,599 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 04:27 PM

View PostZoony, on 05 July 2011 - 02:21 PM, said:

You mentioned "when sending to Toast it always goes to the audio CD window. I wish I could also send it to the Convert window".

I don't know if this would work for Spin Doctor X, but my solution in CD Spin Doctor (Toast 10) is to open Toast while Spin Doctor is still open. Select the Convert window. Then drag the track from Spin Doctor to the Convert window. That seems to work for me - and also preserves the in and out points of the marked up track. Be interested to know if it works in Spin Doctor X!
Unfortunately tracks cannot be dragged from Spin Doctor X. One of many shortcomings. Great suggestion for the workaround with CD Spin Doctor.

#19 Zoony

Zoony

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 04:34 PM

View Posttsantee, on 05 July 2011 - 04:27 PM, said:

Unfortunately tracks cannot be dragged from Spin Doctor X. One of many shortcomings. Great suggestion for the workaround with CD Spin Doctor.
It does sound that Spin Doctor X lacks the simple convenience of CD Spin Doctor, despite having some new features. Great shame... Not much point recording audio if you can't easily save it the way you want to.

#20 prl

prl

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:51 PM

I've given up on trying to put my vinyl onto CD using this version of Spin Doctor X. The only question for me is whether to wait for it to be fixed or revert to Toast 10. :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users