19 replies to this topic

#1 Zephyr

Zephyr

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:08 AM

Please excuse me if this is a simple and dumb ?, but I'll take my chances.I've downloaded a wma file to my desktop...It's all one track and 1 hour 45 minutes in duration. is there some way using sound editor or creator classic or some other kind of tool I'm not aware of to split this track in 2 to be able to burn it to 2 cds as it's to big to fit on one. Or, is there a free program out there that can shrink the file so as to fit on one cd?? Any help would be greatly appreciated...Thanks...Zeph.

#2 d_deweywright

d_deweywright

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,830 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:05 PM

I'm assuming you want to make an Audio CD, and not an MP3 type of disc?  I'm sorry, but I never used ECDC 6, so I don't know how Sound Editor works in it.  But, you should be able to open the file in Sound Editor, then select (highlight) the last half of the track, and delete it, and save the first half to a new name.  Then reopen the original file, and do the same thing in reverse, deleting the first half.  Then you can make separate CDs of the two halves.

Hope that helps!
Dave D-W

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity.  Lick it once and you'll suck forever.  - Brian Wilson

[ASUS M4N98TD EVO MB | Athlon II X6 440 (3.3 GHz) | 4GB DDR3 RAM | GE Force 7800 video card | 1-500GB HD (C: XP, G: Win7 , D: - Apps, E: data & apps), 1-500 GB HD Data), L: 1-1 TB WD Green, M: 1 - 2TB Toshiba HD  | 2 - LiteOn DH20A4P DVD burners | External Dell QFlix DX-20A6Q DVD +/- writer  | Windows 7 (32-bit) | Creator 2012 | Tektronix Phaser 8560 solid ink printer | Epson R220 Photo/Disc printer | Ricoh GX 3110db dye sublimation ink | Epson Workforce 1100 printer | Microtek i900 Scanner]

#3 Zephyr

Zephyr

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:47 PM

View Postd_deweywright, on 22 April 2011 - 04:05 PM, said:

I'm assuming you want to make an Audio CD, and not an MP3 type of disc?  I'm sorry, but I never used ECDC 6, so I don't know how Sound Editor works in it.  But, you should be able to open the file in Sound Editor, then select (highlight) the last half of the track, and delete it, and save the first half to a new name.  Then reopen the original file, and do the same thing in reverse, deleting the first half.  Then you can make separate CDs of the two halves.

Hope that helps!

I tried that but Sound Editor wont open or accept the file to do so. Yes Audio cd...not mp3.
Someone told me that perhaps I don't have wma files ascribed to Roxio 6 to open/ recognize them..Still trying to figure this thing out...I had assumed this was not a hard task, but it seems more involved than I thought.
Thank you so much for your reply and if you can think of anything further, I hope to hear from you...Zeph

#4 d_deweywright

d_deweywright

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,830 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:46 AM

Any chance the .WMA file has DRM "protection" on it?  As well, I don't recall if Sound Editor handles .WMA files.  So, you may need to find another utility to convert it to (preferably) a .WAV file.  If you can open the file in Winamp to play it, then you should be able to output it as a .WAV file.  Choose Options -> Preferences -> Output, and select the Nullsoft WaveOut Output.  Then you can specify where to put the file.  Sound Editor should handle the .WAV file without any problems.

Hope that helps.
Dave D-W

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity.  Lick it once and you'll suck forever.  - Brian Wilson

[ASUS M4N98TD EVO MB | Athlon II X6 440 (3.3 GHz) | 4GB DDR3 RAM | GE Force 7800 video card | 1-500GB HD (C: XP, G: Win7 , D: - Apps, E: data & apps), 1-500 GB HD Data), L: 1-1 TB WD Green, M: 1 - 2TB Toshiba HD  | 2 - LiteOn DH20A4P DVD burners | External Dell QFlix DX-20A6Q DVD +/- writer  | Windows 7 (32-bit) | Creator 2012 | Tektronix Phaser 8560 solid ink printer | Epson R220 Photo/Disc printer | Ricoh GX 3110db dye sublimation ink | Epson Workforce 1100 printer | Microtek i900 Scanner]

#5 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,418 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 03:09 PM

Zephyr,

What software are you running, please?
[name and version number] You can find these by looking at the top of the main menu.

menu.jpg

You've posted in the Easy CD and DVD Creator 6 forum, but this suite doesn't have Sound Editor. It has instead "AudioCentral" which is a track-oriented editor that can't be used to edit a sound file.

Regards,
Brendon
P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,
BENQ DW1640, in XP Pro and Windows 7

As a very wise man told me, "You do it until . . . . ."

#6 Zephyr

Zephyr

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 06:04 PM

View PostBrendon, on 23 April 2011 - 03:09 PM, said:

Zephyr,

What software are you running, please?
[name and version number] You can find these by looking at the top of the main menu.

Attachment menu.jpg

You've posted in the Easy CD and DVD Creator 6 forum, but this suite doesn't have Sound Editor. It has instead "AudioCentral" which is a track-oriented editor that can't be used to edit a sound file.

Regards,
Brendon

I am using Creator 6...When I open audio central there is an icon at the bottom of the window with a picture of scissors and when hovered over says sound editor. I've used it for years to do other tasks than what this ? is about. I thought I could drag the file into it, hoping it would produce a wave form that I could split, but no dice. I'm not the most tech savvy guy, obviously this is why I'm having this issue.Any other additional advice you might have will be most appreciated...Thanks again...Zeph.

#7 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,418 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 07:43 PM

Hi Zephyr,

Sorry, it's a tiny icon and my eyes are approaching their use-by date so I missed the Audio Central Sound Editor.

From what I can dig out, it seems that the file associations you can change in the AudioCentral Options > File Types screen

aco-file.jpg

-will only affect whether the AudioCentral player becomes the default player for music files.  They don't change things for the Audio Central Sound Editor [ACSE].

I am running smack into the same problem you are, with trying to load .WMA files into the sound editor [ACSE].
I don't know why, but ACSE refuses to load ANY .WMA files I give it, including a .WMA file I just made with ACSE.

acse.jpg

HOWEVER I found a work-around.

[1] Load your WMA file into the playlist of Audio Central Player. Don't play it, just load it in the right side of the player window
player.jpg

[2] Now Right-click on the track and select Convert Audio File Format, and then choose MP3, Ogg, or Wav. The file will be saved in the new format. Please be aware that WAV is uncompressed, and will take about 10 MB of disk space per minute if you choose it.
[3] Load the new file into the editor, delete part and save the rest, then reload and do vice versa.

That should do it for you.

Regards,
Brendon
P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,

#8 Zephyr

Zephyr

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 11:28 AM

View PostBrendon, on 23 April 2011 - 07:43 PM, said:

Hi Zephyr,

Sorry, it's a tiny icon and my eyes are approaching their use-by date so I missed the Audio Central Sound Editor.

From what I can dig out, it seems that the file associations you can change in the AudioCentral Options > File Types screen

Attachment aco-file.jpg

-will only affect whether the AudioCentral player becomes the default player for music files.  They don't change things for the Audio Central Sound Editor [ACSE].

I am running smack into the same problem you are, with trying to load .WMA files into the sound editor [ACSE].
I don't know why, but ACSE refuses to load ANY .WMA files I give it, including a .WMA file I just made with ACSE.

Attachment acse.jpg

HOWEVER I found a work-around.

[1] Load your WMA file into the playlist of Audio Central Player. Don't play it, just load it in the right side of the player window
Attachment player.jpg

[2] Now Right-click on the track and select Convert Audio File Format, and then choose MP3, Ogg, or Wav. The file will be saved in the new format. Please be aware that WAV is uncompressed, and will take about 10 MB of disk space per minute if you choose it.
[3] Load the new file into the editor, delete part and save the rest, then reload and do vice versa.

That should do it for you.

Regards,
Brendon

As in other times past you've been a great help...Thanks Brendon for your instruction...Works good...Zeph.

#9 Zephyr

Zephyr

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:32 PM

Back again for anyone who will listen.
I took Brendon's advice and tried to convert the wma file format to wav. The wma is 2 hours 20 mins long (140 mins) The full show. When converted with the audio central player to wav it has now been shortened to 112 mins. cutting off the last 28 mins of the show.This is quite perplexing not to say frustrating...Any ideas will be most appreciated and I wish you all a great holiday season as well...Zeph.

Edited by Zephyr, 22 November 2011 - 12:34 PM.

#10 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,203 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 01:17 PM

View PostZephyr, on 22 November 2011 - 12:32 PM, said:

Back again for anyone who will listen.
I took Brendon's advice and tried to convert the wma file format to wav. The wma is 2 hours 20 mins long (140 mins) The full show. When converted with the audio central player to wav it has now been shortened to 112 mins. cutting off the last 28 mins of the show.This is quite perplexing not to say frustrating...Any ideas will be most appreciated and I wish you all a great holiday season as well...Zeph.

Is your hard drive FAT or NTSC?
PC  Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit  
Velocity Micro ProMagix ©HD 60; evga x58 motherboard, Intel i7 @2.93, 12G RAM, EVGA Nvidia 560TI superclocked video card, SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme audio card, Buffalo external blu-ray burner; Creator 2012. PhotoShow 6, VHS to DVD 3Plus.

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#11 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,692 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 03:15 PM

View Postsknis, on 22 November 2011 - 01:17 PM, said:

Is your hard drive FAT or NTSC?

10 MB of disk space per minute x 140 minutes = 1,400 MB not even two 80 minute CD's!

This is quite perplexing not to say frustrating..

Were you at the PC watching the conversion?

If so any indication why it stopped?
cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Computer Specs click show.
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
3.Click here CD-DVD Speed
4.Click here CD-DVD Speed - A user guide
5.Click here Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x.
6.Click hereYou can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
8.Click here  How to uninstall IE 7 and WMP 11.
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
11.Click here   Complete Uninstall of Creator 2011 & Creator 2012
12.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows Vista and 7)
13.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows XP)
14.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 9 & 10 on Windows Vista  
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility
17. Click here Finding Your Computer Specs And Roxio Software Version Number.

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

Do not post your email address on any public forum!  

#12 Zephyr

Zephyr

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:18 AM

I tried a new conversion.Downloaded a show from sugarmegs (wma) 2 Hrs 7 mins.
Loaded into audio central. Tried to convert to wav, only got to 72% then closed the conversion window as though it had reached 100%.Tried again to convert, only this time to mp3.Same result. Reaches 72% and closes as though it had completed entirely.Now I'm really confused, although that's a relatively common occurrence.

#13 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,692 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:47 AM

Sounds like audio central has a 91 minute conversion limit..

Point us to your sugarmegs (wma) 2 Hrs 7 mins download, post a link if, it is a legal download no copyright infringement?
cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

#14 Zephyr

Zephyr

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:00 AM

I'm not sure if this will work
http://ia700307.us.a...11-20.wma?cnt=0

Otherwise,go here and scroll down to View SetList   Download   neilyoung1973-11-20.asx
When I get there I right click download and then click on save link as. That downloads the wma to my computer

http://tela.sugarmegs.org/alpha/n.html

Thanks so much for taking time to help me out here...Zeph.

#15 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,692 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:08 AM

I get a 36.6mb wma file 2.05.53 in length.

Let us play with it awhile..
cd
Spoiler

#16 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,418 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:59 PM

Hi Zeph,

I just tried it on your Neil Young WMA.
The file shows 2:05:54 on my AudioCentral Player, and converts to a WAV that's 1.24 GB (1,332,533,944 bytes)

The WAV plays on the AudioCentral Player at 1.4 mbps [compared with the 40 kbps of the WMA file]. It's the second entry in the playlist.

player.jpg

The thing is, it plays all the way to the end. Both of them do, including ten minutes of "Didn't I" at the finish :)

So it's converting properly in my system. Can you duplicate that truncation problem with another download of the track, or is it happening with other tracks?

This is perplexing.

Brendon

#17 Zephyr

Zephyr

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 06:17 AM

I've tried to convert several wma files downloaded from sugarmegs with audio central, and every time it reaches 72% on the dot and then closes as though it has converted completely.
On the other side,I downloaded a free program called Switch Sound File Converter witch seems to do the job, although it seems to take quite awhile.I appreciate you and cdanteek spending time to help me out.This shouldn't be this difficult...Se La Vie.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 10 minutes of Didn't I at the finish.
Maybe I'm missing something...but the end of the show I have is TTN

Edited by Zephyr, 25 November 2011 - 06:27 AM.

#18 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,418 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 06:38 PM

Hi Zeph,

Listening harder, [the show sounded as if it had been recorded from the washroom] it may have been a long repetition of "Good Night", but there was a lot of it from about 1:55 to 2:05. :)

Sorry I couldn't work out what was causing the hiccup in your conversion.

Brendon

#19 Zephyr

Zephyr

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 08:04 AM

Now Brendon...What you want from "A Historical Performance" from 1973 and every one was drunk and stoned and was recorded from the washroom and and and...That droning on at the end is them singing Tonight's The Night.
So I'm to understand that your version of creator 6 has no problem converting the show to wav 100%.I'd sure like to know what the issue is with mine...unless it's operator error, heaven forbid...Thanks again for your help...Zeph.

#20 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,418 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 04:54 PM

Hi Zeph,

I don't imagine it would be operator error, unless you've just come home from that performance  :blink:

Yes, my version has no problem with the conversion, to WAV or MP3. I'm running Creator 6.2.0.111 Platinum, with Engine 6.2.0.134
I'd come to your place and take a look at it, except I'm down in what's left of Christchurch, NZ, so it would take quite a while and a lot of canoe paddling. :lol:

You've tried the Sugarmegs files with another converter. Have you tried WMA files from other locations with AudioCentral? If they pack it in at 72% then there's something seriously wrong with your ECD&DVD Creator.

It doesn't look like something inherent in the program, else mine wouldn't have worked. Perhaps you could benefit from an uninstall/tidy-out/reinstall of the suite if you still have the updaters on file. Version 6 is a lot more robust at installing/uninstalling than some of the more recent versions. Or if this is the only problem you're having you might want to leave this suite as is, and use that other program for converting.

Regards,
Brendon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users