• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Hugonne

Hugonne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:53 AM

Hi all. I just bought Roxio Game Capture. I live in Colombia, so it'll be a couple of weeks till it gets here, but in the meantime I have a very specific question regarding the screen resolution (on my TV) I'll get.

I have a FullHD TV, and I got my Xbox360 connected to it through an HDMI cable. Of course, I get full 1080p resolution (1920x1080) on my screen when playing. According to what I've read, I won't be able to use the HDMI cable now, and I'll have to switch to the component RBG cable, so that I can hook it up to the Game Capture device and then from there to the TV.

The question is: will I still get 1080p with RGB cables? In other words, will I "lose" resolution on my TV when switching from HDMI to RGB?

Note: I'm not talking about the resolution of the videos I'll record to my computer, but the resolution of the image that I'll see on my TV with the RGB cables.

Thanks.

Edited by Hugonne, 25 April 2011 - 12:04 PM.

#2 ogdens

ogdens

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,278 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:25 PM

View PostHugonne, on 25 April 2011 - 11:53 AM, said:

Hi all. I just bought Roxio Game Capture. I live in Colombia, so it'll be a couple of weeks till it gets here, but in the meantime I have a very specific question regarding the screen resolution (on my TV) I'll get.

I have a FullHD TV, and I got my Xbox360 connected to it through an HDMI cable. Of course, I get full 1080p resolution (1920x1080) on my screen when playing. According to what I've read, I won't be able to use the HDMI cable now, and I'll have to switch to the component RBG cable, so that I can hook it up to the Game Capture device and then from there to the TV.

The question is: will I still get 1080p with RGB cables? In other words, will I "lose" resolution on my TV when switching from HDMI to RGB?

Note: I'm not talking about the resolution of the videos I'll record to my computer, but the resolution of the image that I'll see on my TV with the RGB cables.

Thanks.

See if this helps:

http://www.roxio.com...s-examples.html

#3 Hugonne

Hugonne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:46 PM

View Postogdens, on 25 April 2011 - 12:25 PM, said:

Thanks. I had already checked the videos, and the only slight reference to my question was in the 360 setup video, where it said to set the console to 1080i. However, I'm asking about 1080p, and wether RGB cables support it, so that I don't lose my TV video quality when recording.

#4 ogdens

ogdens

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,278 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:55 PM

View PostHugonne, on 25 April 2011 - 12:46 PM, said:

Thanks. I had already checked the videos, and the only slight reference to my question was in the 360 setup video, where it said to set the console to 1080i. However, I'm asking about 1080p, and wether RGB cables support it, so that I don't lose my TV video quality when recording.

I don't have the RGC unit, but the video shows that you can change the setting:

2011-04-25_1652.png

#5 Cauptain

Cauptain

Digital Master

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 02:26 PM

View PostHugonne, on 25 April 2011 - 11:53 AM, said:

Thanks.

Component input does 1080p normally.

The RGC have  a passtrough to TV. In Theory you can play in 1080p. Theory only.

Claudio
My specs: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 SP1, Core I5@4ghz, 16 GB Memory, HD 6 TB, CrossfireX 6850 XFX, Asus P7P55D-E Deluxe, AverTV HD DVR, Mygica X5807, Roxio GC
........................................................................Cauptain Youtube Channel - Consoles HD..................................................................
_____________________________________________________________________________________

#6 tbrewst

tbrewst

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,151 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:06 AM

Here's something else.
I am not recommending this just pointing it out.

You can use both the HDMI and HD adapter on the XBox at the same time.The only caveat is you have to take the housing off of the adapter.

The problem is that the adapter and the HDMI output are stacked on top of each other on the back of the console.With the adapter plugged in the HDMI port is covered.
With the regular Composite adapter this is not the case.The housing for the Component adapter is bigger and doesn't fit.

If you look online I think you can probably find a video of doing this.

Again,it's not something I'd recommend but it is possible.\

And yes,you can still get all the resolutions using Component cables.The real advantage to HDMI is the cable also carries the audio signal.
"Mild-mannered Supermen
Are held in kryptonite
And the wise and foolish virgins giggle
With there bodies glowing bright
And through the door a harvest feast
Is lit by candle light
It's the bottom of a staircase
That spirals out of sight"

Terry

64 bitWindows 8.1 OS
AMD FX-8320 8 core 3.5Ghz processor with Arctic Freezer 64 Pro cooling fan
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 AM3+ motherboard
Galaxy  GeForce GTX 550 Ti video card with 1Gb memory
8Gb G Skill Ripjaws Series DDR3 1600 RAM
120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD drive
1Tb Hitachi SATA hard drive
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray drive
Lite-On iHAS224-06 SATA DVD drive
Rosewill Destroyer case
Cambridge Soundworks THX 5.1 speaker system
Onboard Realtek HD audio
I-inc iH-252HPB 25" widescreen monitor connected via HDMI
Samsung 2525W Laser Printer

#7 Hugonne

Hugonne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:11 AM

View Posttbrewst, on 26 April 2011 - 05:06 AM, said:

You can use both the HDMI and HD adapter on the XBox at the same time.
Interesting... So I might be able to use both HDMI and RBG cables... I'll look it up.

#8 Hugonne

Hugonne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:19 AM

View Postogdens, on 25 April 2011 - 12:55 PM, said:

I don't have the RGC unit, but the video shows that you can change the setting
I found this on another forum (http://www.xbox360ac...p/t-223145.html):

"If you are using the red green and blue (rca) cables you are NOT getting 1080p. The best you can get out of those is 1080i. Not bad but 1080p is a lot clearer. But of course this doesn't matter if you are using a tv that can't do 1080p. You can't even set your xbox to 1080p without using the hdmi."

Any thoughts?

EDIT: I just read further down and found that you can actually get 1080p with RGB, but it'll be upscaled. So I'm guessing the answer to my question is YES, I'll get 1080p, only upscaled (which means a little less quality). The only thing is that I wont get 5.1 channel sound, because the red and white cables carry only 2 channels.

Thanks.

Edited by Hugonne, 26 April 2011 - 05:25 AM.

#9 Cauptain

Cauptain

Digital Master

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:16 AM

View PostHugonne, on 26 April 2011 - 05:19 AM, said:

I found this on another forum (http://www.xbox360ac...t-223145.html):

"If you are using the red green and blue (rca) cables you are NOT getting 1080p. The best you can get out of those is 1080i. Not bad but 1080p is a lot clearer. But of course this doesn't matter if you are using a tv that can't do 1080p. You can't even set your xbox to 1080p without using the hdmi."

Any thoughts?

EDIT: I just read further down and found that you can actually get 1080p with RGB, but it'll be upscaled. So I'm guessing the answer to my question is YES, I'll get 1080p, only upscaled (which means a little less quality). The only thing is that I wont get 5.1 channel sound, because the red and white cables carry only 2 channels.

Thanks.

Hello Hugonne,

You are mistaken.

Component analog input does 1080p perfectly.

The problem is that there a rule of AACS contracted devices, such as Blu-ray and HD DVD that allow only go up to 1080i with Component cable.

Games PS3 and 360 do 1080i just fine.

Many people do not know it and leave without posting at least test.

Component is a very robust system with one problem, Hollywood can't control it.

Claudio

My specs: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 SP1, Core I5@4ghz, 16 GB Memory, HD 6 TB, CrossfireX 6850 XFX, Asus P7P55D-E Deluxe, AverTV HD DVR, Mygica X5807, Roxio GC
........................................................................Cauptain Youtube Channel - Consoles HD..................................................................
_____________________________________________________________________________________

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users