• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Whiskeymovie

Whiskeymovie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:18 PM

When I fist got my XPS yesterday, I put in a Blu Ray and it played, now it will not play. I bought the plugin to "author" blu rays and I got an error message saying that it can't find the previous version to download it to. Does anyone know if you get like a freebie to watch then have to purchase and why won't the blur ray plug in download? any help would be hot. Thanks.

#2 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,079 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:24 PM

View PostWhiskeymovie, on 25 June 2011 - 02:18 PM, said:

When I fist got my XPS yesterday, I put in a Blu Ray and it played, now it will not play. I bought the plugin to "author" blu rays and I got an error message saying that it can't find the previous version to download it to. Does anyone know if you get like a freebie to watch then have to purchase and why won't the blur ray plug in download? any help would be hot. Thanks.

Lets start by telling us what software you have and how/where you bought it?

C2011 Pro comes with the BD Author plugin, C2011 does not.

To play BD with CinePlayer part of the C2011 and C2011 Pro Suite you need the BD Play Back Plugin.
cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Computer Specs click show.
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
3.Click here CD-DVD Speed
4.Click here CD-DVD Speed - A user guide
5.Click here Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x.
6.Click hereYou can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
8.Click here  How to uninstall IE 7 and WMP 11.
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
11.Click here   Complete Uninstall of Creator 2011 & Creator 2012
12.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows Vista and 7)
13.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows XP)
14.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 9 & 10 on Windows Vista  
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility
17. Click here Finding Your Computer Specs And Roxio Software Version Number.

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

Do not post your email address on any public forum!  

#3 Whiskeymovie

Whiskeymovie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:55 PM

View Postcdanteek, on 25 June 2011 - 02:24 PM, said:

Lets start by telling us what software you have and how/where you bought it?

C2011 Pro comes with the BD Author plugin, C2011 does not.

To play BD with CinePlayer part of the C2011 and C2011 Pro Suite you need the BD Play Back Plugin.

HI,,,,thanks for the response....I bought the Dell XPS 17 and it came with Roxio Creator 2011 with it. I have a Blu Ray player/ burner with it....I bought the plug in to play Blu Rays and that works fine, and then I purchased the plug in for burning Blu Rays and it starts to install and then says "set up cannot find a valid version of this software to upgrade." That is what is throwing me off. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Will

#4 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 07:35 PM

View PostWhiskeymovie, on 25 June 2011 - 06:55 PM, said:

HI,,,,thanks for the response....I bought the Dell XPS 17 and it came with Roxio Creator 2011 with it. I have a Blu Ray player/ burner with it....I bought the plug in to play Blu Rays and that works fine, and then I purchased the plug in for burning Blu Rays and it starts to install and then says "set up cannot find a valid version of this software to upgrade." That is what is throwing me off. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Will

Yoy may have received an OEM version of C2011 which could mean that several features of the full retail version are missing or have been crippled. The ability to burn BlueRays may be one of these.  Did you purchase C2011 as a full version? If not then get in touch with Dell and ask them what is missing.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#5 Whiskeymovie

Whiskeymovie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 08:17 PM

View Postmyguggi, on 25 June 2011 - 07:35 PM, said:

Yoy may have received an OEM version of C2011 which could mean that several features of the full retail version are missing or have been crippled. The ability to burn BlueRays may be one of these.  Did you purchase C2011 as a full version? If not then get in touch with Dell and ask them what is missing.

Hi...I am not sure what version I have. It came pre-installed on the computer. All I know is that i purposefuly purchased the blu ray burner so I could burn blu rays and I did not know I would have to pay extra to be able to burn them, and now I can't because it won't let me download the software. It is just very frustrating.

#6 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,455 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:02 AM

View PostWhiskeymovie, on 25 June 2011 - 08:17 PM, said:

Hi...I am not sure what version I have. It came pre-installed on the computer. All I know is that i purposefuly purchased the blu ray burner so I could burn blu rays and I did not know I would have to pay extra to be able to burn them, and now I can't because it won't let me download the software. It is just very frustrating.

Did you buy a blu-ray burner or a blu-ray combo drive?  A blu-ray combo would not have the ability to burn a blu-ray disc but would be able to play one.  Go to Windows Device Manager and post the identification information on the drive that yiou see there.

There should be a program, perhaps not Roxio, to burn blu-ray discs that would have come on the computer if your drive had the capability to burn blu-ray.   Perhaps they removed it because you bought the Creator 2011 Pro.   There should have also been a program to play the discs. so you did not have to buy the Roxio add-on.

What model XPS did you get?   These are examples of blu-ray combos from Dell.   It looks like Dell calls their blu-ray burner a Blu-ray Triple Burner.

Dell does sell the full Creator 2011 Pro suite for $120.  For that price it should be the full version.   If it is, then it would have the capability to try to burn blu-ray discs.   Open "Create DVD" when it opens do you have 4 options of what kind of disc to burn.  DVD, SVCD, AVCHD AND Blu-ray?

Edited by sknis, 26 June 2011 - 03:17 AM.

PC  Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit  
Velocity Micro ProMagix ©HD 60; evga x58 motherboard, Intel i7 @2.93, 12G RAM, 250G SSD,  EVGA Nvidia 560TI superclocked video card, SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme audio card, Buffalo external blu-ray burner; Creator 2012, Creator NXT2 Pro. PhotoShow 6, VHS to DVD 3Plus and others.

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#7 Whiskeymovie

Whiskeymovie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:15 AM

View Postsknis, on 26 June 2011 - 03:02 AM, said:

Did you buy a blu-ray burner or a blu-ray combo drive?  A blu-ray combo would not have the ability to burn a blu-ray disc but would be able to play one.  Go to Windows Device Manager and post the identification information on the drive that yiou see there.

There should be a program, perhaps not Roxio, to burn blu-ray discs that would have come on the computer if your drive had the capability to burn blu-ray.   Perhaps they removed it because you bought the Creator 2011 Pro.   There should have also been a program to play the discs. so you did not have to buy the Roxio add-on.

What model XPS did you get?   These are examples of blu-ray combos from Dell.   It looks like Dell calls their blu-ray burner a Blu-ray Triple Burner.

Dell does sell the full Creator 2011 Pro suite for $120.  For that price it should be the full version.   If it is, then it would have the capability to try to burn blu-ray discs.   Open "Create DVD" when it opens do you have 4 options of what kind of disc to burn.  DVD, SVCD, AVCHD AND Blu-ray?

HI...it is supposed to be a Blu Ray burner...on the invoice it says the drive burns cds, dvds and BR as well as plays them, so I would think it would come preinstalled with the capibility of buring blu ray. Roxio tells me I have to talk to Dell. Dell tells me to talk to Roxio. The way of the world. i might just break down and buy the Pro version and be done with it hopefully

#8 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,326 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:34 AM

As to the actual software you have...

Help - About and tell us the Version & Build Numbers.

Attached File  Help - About 2011 with SP1.jpg   155.11K   0 downloads

(do not post your Serial Number!!! ;) )
Posted Image

#9 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,455 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:36 AM

View PostWhiskeymovie, on 26 June 2011 - 04:15 AM, said:

HI...it is supposed to be a Blu Ray burner...on the invoice it says the drive burns cds, dvds and BR as well as plays them, so I would think it would come preinstalled with the capibility of buring blu ray. Roxio tells me I have to talk to Dell. Dell tells me to talk to Roxio. The way of the world. i might just break down and buy the Pro version and be done with it hopefully

I thought that you did have a  version of Creator 2011? Posted Image  You posted in the Creator 2011 part of the forum.   Did you pay extra for the software?  Do you have Creator 2010 or Creator 2011 OR do you have Creator 10.3  DE or Roxio Easy CD and DVD Burning?

Letting us know what youactuallyy do have will help us help you.

I'm not sure that I would trust the invoice.  Get the information about your drive directly from your computer.  It helps to know that you got what you paid for.   Go to the Windows Start button and type in Device Manager.  It will be listed under  Control Panel" Look under DVD/CD Rom drives.

Never spend money for software to try to fix something that is supposed to work. Don't buy Creator from Dell.  You could probably get a better deal directly from Roxio and they have a 30 day money back refund policy.   Dell is supposed to support their OEM software.  Knowing exactly what you have is really, really  important to argue your case.  If you did buy (pay extra) for the software and it is Creator 2011, then  you have free technical support for that version.
Velocity Micro ProMagix ©HD 60; evga x58 motherboard, Intel i7 @2.93, 12G RAM, 250G SSD,  EVGA Nvidia 560TI superclocked video card, SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme audio card, Buffalo external blu-ray burner; Creator 2012, Creator NXT2 Pro. PhotoShow 6, VHS to DVD 3Plus and others.

Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#10 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,326 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:43 AM

Good point Steve!

Thier 10.3 OEM will burn a Data BD but cannot play or burn a BD Movie!!!

Attached File  Home - Data & Backup.jpg   120.73K   0 downloads

And there is NO update available that will change that :(
Posted Image

#11 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,079 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:43 AM

If you did buy (pay extra) for the software

It would list it on the invoice and the OP would have a physical Retail Boxed version of the Software he/she purchased. <_<
cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Computer Specs click show.
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
3.Click here CD-DVD Speed
4.Click here CD-DVD Speed - A user guide
5.Click here Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x.
6.Click hereYou can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
8.Click here  How to uninstall IE 7 and WMP 11.
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
11.Click here   Complete Uninstall of Creator 2011 & Creator 2012
12.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows Vista and 7)
13.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows XP)
14.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 9 & 10 on Windows Vista  
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility
17. Click here Finding Your Computer Specs And Roxio Software Version Number.

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

Do not post your email address on any public forum!  

#12 Soccerdad

Soccerdad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:11 PM

I have the same issue. Dell told me that the OEM Creator 2011 that you purchase with a new Dell will allow you to burn BluRay. They told me you could not play Blu-Ray with the OEM and can use Power DVD that comes with it pre-installed to play back BluRay.

When you want to create a DVD and it gives you selections of DVD, VCD/SVCD, Blu Ray and AVCHD.
My BluRay is grayed out and wont let me select.
Any thoughts?

#13 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,455 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:45 PM

View PostSoccerdad, on 23 August 2011 - 12:11 PM, said:

I have the same issue. Dell told me that the OEM Creator 2011 that you purchase with a new Dell will allow you to burn BluRay. They told me you could not play Blu-Ray with the OEM and can use Power DVD that comes with it pre-installed to play back BluRay.

When you want to create a DVD and it gives you selections of DVD, VCD/SVCD, Blu Ray and AVCHD.
Any thoughts?

As above (and repeated many times) it appears that Dell is not copletely honest about the capabilities of their software.  When they say you can burn blu-ray, it seems to mean that you can butn blu-ray DATA discs.  You cannot burn blu-ray movies idscs.  Nothing is going to change that !   :(

Apple =OSX 10.5

#14 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,350 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:36 PM

View PostSoccerdad, on 23 August 2011 - 12:11 PM, said:

Any thoughts?

You already have a thread going on this subject, and you have been told that the Dell version probably isn't the real deal.  No need to add "me too" posts to other threads.  :angry:
Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971

Main System:
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard; Cooler Master ATCS 840 Case
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
PLEXTOR Black DVD Burner, Model PX-880SA; Pioneer Black 8X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R Burner
EVGA GEFORCE GTX 670 2GB Video Card
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series Sound Card
Windows XP Pro w/SP3

Backup Computer:
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Windows 7 Pro w/SP1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users