• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:34 AM

Toast Titanium 8.0.5
EyeTV 3.4.3 sw/ EyeTV 200 FireWire device
Mac G4 MDD dual 1.25GHz/2Gb RAM/OS X 10.5.8
Pioneer DVD-RW  DVR-111D internal superdrive

After recording a tv episode using EyeTV to my Mac's hard drive I can usually burn it to DVD by opening Toast directly from the EyeTV interface after choosing the video I want to burn and in the new Toast window, which already shows my tv episode, I choose Burn. Toast then first multiplexes the video, then burns it to DVD. Never had a problem with that, whether with normal DVDs or dual layer DVDs for longer films. EyeTV seems to use some sort of proprietary format for acquiring the video, since a Get Info on a file shows kind as "EyeTV Recording".

But when I went to burn three episodes of a miniseries on the same double layer DVD (yes, it fit) I added all three to the Toast window by selecting them in the EyeTV Programs window and hitting the Toast button in the window's menubar which launched Toast with the three episodes in its window, then inserted my new empty dual-layer DVD media, adjusted for optimum quality and hit burn. The multiplexing seemed to go fine, but when it started burning to disk I got a media error...and a coaster. I thought it might be a bad disk so tried several more and lowered burn speed to minimum with same results . I also tried it on a MacBook Pro, thinking it might be the older burner in the G4MDD but got the same error. Normal burning from EyeTV (one video at a time) works fine.

Is there a way to burn multiple videos from EyeTV onto the same DVD using Toast?

BTW I contacted EyeTV support but since the individual files burn without a problem they said it is a Toast issue, not an EyeTV issue.

Edited by ncm, 28 June 2011 - 11:37 AM.

#2 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,663 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:07 PM

What I recommend is choosing Save as Disc Image (File menu) instead of clicking the burn button. When the disc image is finished, select it using the Image File setting in the Toast Copy window to burn your disc. That may avoid the error.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#3 ncm

ncm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:02 PM

View Posttsantee, on 28 June 2011 - 06:07 PM, said:

What I recommend is choosing Save as Disc Image (File menu) instead of clicking the burn button. When the disc image is finished, select it using the Image File setting in the Toast Copy window to burn your disc. That may avoid the error.

Ok, thanks for the suggestion.I'm trying it now, but on my MacBook Pro/OSX10.6.7, where I have installed a newly purchased upgrade to Toast 11 (which, being Intel and SL only, I can't install on the older G4). If it works I'll try it on the older Mac with Toast 8.0.5.

Yay, it worked. Noticed that it did the multiplexing while making the disk image so only had to burn afterwards. Perhaps separating the two functions helped.

One question, if you will. I noticed when I added two videos for burning to one DVD to the main toast window that though the space remaining says 496MB the progress bar is green at the beginning, then turns yellow and is red at the end. I couldn't find any reference to the colours in Toast's Help. This is so both on the original Toast window under Video and on the subsequent one I switched to for Copy, in order to make the disk image. When I hit the Burn button for the disk image I get no warning that the content exceeds the limit of the media - and in fact it burned without a quibble - so what is the colour change trying to tell me?

#4 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,663 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 04:58 PM

View Postncm, on 28 June 2011 - 11:02 PM, said:

Ok, thanks for the suggestion.I'm trying it now, but on my MacBook Pro/OSX10.6.7, where I have installed a newly purchased upgrade to Toast 11 (which, being Intel and SL only, I can't install on the older G4). If it works I'll try it on the older Mac with Toast 8.0.5.

Yay, it worked. Noticed that it did the multiplexing while making the disk image so only had to burn afterwards. Perhaps separating the two functions helped.

One question, if you will. I noticed when I added two videos for burning to one DVD to the main toast window that though the space remaining says 496MB the progress bar is green at the beginning, then turns yellow and is red at the end. I couldn't find any reference to the colours in Toast's Help. This is so both on the original Toast window under Video and on the subsequent one I switched to for Copy, in order to make the disk image. When I hit the Burn button for the disk image I get no warning that the content exceeds the limit of the media - and in fact it burned without a quibble - so what is the colour change trying to tell me?
I don't pay much attention to the space remaining indicator with regard to video DVDs. When the source video only needs multiplexing then the file size of that source is nearly the same as the file size of the finished DVD. When it needs encoding Toast's variable-bit encoder means the scale is just a guess. An advantage of choosing Save as Disc Image is that you'll find out the actual finished size before burning it to disc. If the disc image requires a dual-layer disc you can choose to use Toast's Fit-to-DVD to "requantize" the video so it burns to a single-layer disc. So I don't worry if the indicator says it will require a DL disc and I want it on a SL disc.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users