10 replies to this topic

#1 aitch

aitch

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 07:29 AM

I am using Easy Media creator 9 with Windows 7 in a Compaq (HP) Presario CQ61 laptop.

Yesterday I tried recording internet radio for the first time - a BBC transmission from their website. I did get a recording, of sorts, but it was through the built-in microphone. so the results had noises off and are not good enough.

Is there a way I can record directly with a good signal? Presumably it has something to do with the sound cards and I tried going through Control Panel / manage audio devices without success.

Am I wrong somewhere or is there something lacking?

If something involving the sound card is needed, would it be a download or something physical? I have always understood that fitting a card into a laptop is not for the unskilled.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Aitch.

#2 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,359 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 07:34 AM

I am using Easy Media creator 9 with Windows 7 in a Compaq (HP) Presario CQ61 laptop.

Yesterday I tried recording internet radio for the first time - a BBC transmission from their website. I did get a recording, of sorts, but it was through the built-in microphone. so the results had noises off and are not good enough.

Is there a way I can record directly with a good signal? Presumably it has something to do with the sound cards and I tried going through Control Panel / manage audio devices without success.

Am I wrong somewhere or is there something lacking?

If something involving the sound card is needed, would it be a download or something physical? I have always understood that fitting a card into a laptop is not for the unskilled.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Aitch.

Before we go to much further, read this; especially the next to the last paragraph. You said that you were using EMC 9 but posted in Creator 2009 part of the forum. Which do you have?

Are you listening to BBC over your computer or via a stand alone radio? Is there any kind of output from the radio (headphones).

Edited by sknis, 03 July 2011 - 07:36 AM.

PC  Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin): Windows 1064 bit,  I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Laptop - Windows 8.1  Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4. I-7 third generation @2.4, 8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Laptop - Windows 10

Dell 13 inch convertible.

#3 aitch

aitch

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 08:29 AM

Thanks for quick response.

1. I am using EMC9. So it looks as if I've posted in the wrong place. Should I repost - and if so where exactly?

2.Over the computer. I live in a hilly area with very poor reception so don't use a radio. My alternative for radio listening is a Sky HD + digibox. If you're not in the UK that may not mean a lot to you but it is the box for digital television and has masses of radio channels on it. That is possibly another option if my problem is sorted in that I could feed the audio out signal to my Arcam amplifier and then send it from there to my computer hard disc.

Aitch

#4 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,359 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 11:49 AM

Thanks for quick response.

1. I am using EMC9. So it looks as if I've posted in the wrong place. Should I repost - and if so where exactly?

2.Over the computer. I live in a hilly area with very poor reception so don't use a radio. My alternative for radio listening is a Sky HD + digibox. If you're not in the UK that may not mean a lot to you but it is the box for digital television and has masses of radio channels on it. That is possibly another option if my problem is sorted in that I could feed the audio out signal to my Arcam amplifier and then send it from there to my computer hard disc.

Aitch

I moved it. Did you see that EMC 9 is not compatible with W7.

You would need the output of the SkyHD box to an amplifier (if necessary) and then to the Mic input on your laptop. You may be able to make the Mic input to a line input. Read your computer manual. There may be a setting in the BIOS to do this.

Be very careful if you input to the Mic input if you can't change it. Start at a low input level and increase as necessary. If not, you can blow that audio chip.

You may be able to find a different audio capture program that is compatible with W7 if you don't already have one. W7 may have something built in or perhaps something from your audio chip manufacturer.

I looked and you should have an optical audio output . You can feed that to an amp. and then the Arcam amp to your computer' audio input.

"3. Optical Digital OutputOptical Digital Output via a toslink digital cable so that 2 channel and more importantly 5.1 surround sound can be sent to a Dolby Digital decoder."

Edited by sknis, 03 July 2011 - 11:50 AM.

PC  Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin): Windows 1064 bit,  I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Alienware M17XR4. I-7 third generation @2.4, 8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Laptop - Windows 10

#5 aitch

aitch

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 01:03 AM

Hi again,

Thanks for sorting out the placement of the posting.

Re W7 and EMC. Yes. When I loaded after changing from Vista the warnings came up. In practice though, I tried using the programme and have found that, so far, nothing has failed to work - copying, converting, etc.

Using the mic input from the Arcam is clearly a good option.

There is software from Audacity I have read about but not tried that is apparently OK with W7.

Using the Sky box and the Arcam amp with either Roxio or another programme is second choice though. THe first would be directly into the laptop from the website. From your advice and comments then I take it that as it stands with Roxio that first option is a non-starter?

Thanks again for all the advice. It is much appreciated.

Aitch

#6 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,359 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 04:43 AM

Hi again,

Thanks for sorting out the placement of the posting.

Re W7 and EMC. Yes. When I loaded after changing from Vista the warnings came up. In practice though, I tried using the programme and have found that, so far, nothing has failed to work - copying, converting, etc.

Using the mic input from the Arcam is clearly a good option.

There is software from Audacity I have read about but not tried that is apparently OK with W7.

Using the Sky box and the Arcam amp with either Roxio or another programme is second choice though. THe first would be directly into the laptop from the website. From your advice and comments then I take it that as it stands with Roxio that first option is a non-starter?

Thanks again for all the advice. It is much appreciated.

Aitch

Major misunderstanding !

I misunderstood (missed) what you are trying to do and with what. You can do a direct audio capture from a web site using Creator's Capture Audio from Sound Card ( device) aka Easy Audio Capture. Many people do that. I do it sometimes from Pandora.

I'm not sure if EMC 9 had that application. If not then Audicity (free) migh have that capability. There are other audio capture programs that are available. If you want to do audio capture only, then Roxio has this one.

Laptop - Windows 10

#7 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,607 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:46 AM

Major misunderstanding !

I misunderstood (missed) what you are trying to do and with what. You can do a direct audio capture from a web site using Creator's Capture Audio from Sound Card ( device) aka Easy Audio Capture. Many people do that. I do it sometimes from Pandora.

I'm not sure if EMC 9 had that application. If not then Audicity (free) migh have that capability. There are other audio capture programs that are available. If you want to do audio capture only, then Roxio has this one.

EMC 9 does have the Capture Audio From Sound Card, application.

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971

#8 aitch

aitch

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:40 AM

Hi,

A couple of days trying things out.

Eliminated are Roxio EMC9 and the Easy Audio Capture. Picking the Stereo Mix option gives me a message "Could not open Sound Device. (Stereo Mix (IDT High Definition). So, that leaves 2 choices on the E A Capture - the 2 mics, Internal and External. As we know the internal isn't good enough so the external is what I try next. I don't have the right lead handy but anticipate no problem from the Line Out ( I will use the headphone socket) to the mic in when I am receiving the radio I want.

Unless something goes drastically wrong when I try it, that will be my method in future and I'll settle for it.

Many, many thanks for all you interest and advice.

Regard,

Aitch

PS. The cheque (check) is in the post.

#9 tbrewst

tbrewst

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,314 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:07 AM

Make sure that Stereo Mix is enabled in Device Manager.Not all sound devices are enabled by default and if it's not enabled then you'd get that message.
That is a function of my card also and it works just fine in W7 to capture from the net.

Edited by tbrewst, 06 July 2011 - 07:07 AM.

"Sometimes I feel, sometimes I feel,
Like I been tied to the whippin' post.
Tied to the whippin' post, tied to the whippin' post.
Good Lord, I feel like I'm dyin'."

Terry

64 bitWindows 10 OS
AMD FX-8320 8 core 3.5Ghz processor with Arctic Freezer 64 Pro cooling fan
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 AM3+ motherboard
Galaxy GeForce GTX 550 Ti video card with 1Gb memory
8Gb G Skill Ripjaws Series DDR3 1600 RAM
120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD drive
1Tb Hitachi SATA hard drive
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray drive
Lite-On iHAS224-06 SATA DVD drive
Rosewill Destroyer case
Cambridge Soundworks THX 5.1 speaker system
Onboard Realtek HD audio
I-inc iH-252HPB 25" widescreen monitor connected via HDMI
Brother HL-L2380DW Laser Printer

#10 Enidrhee

Enidrhee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 07:06 PM

I use Streaming Audio Recorder. And I find it easy to record any sound playing on my computer. I can record streaming music, podcast, radio from all kinds of online website including Facebook, YouTube, Dailymotion and Vimeo and more. 

#11 Brendon

Brendon

Digiital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,380,083 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 07:19 PM

Enidrhee,

Please don't "necropost" - The original poster hasn't been back here since 2011, and the topic is dead and over 5 years in its grave.

Assorted computers in Windows XP, 7, and 10.

[This space unexpectedly left blank]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users