• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MikeFromMesa

MikeFromMesa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:21 AM

I just purchased a new Dell XPS 15 computer with a blu-ray burner. My old computer was very old and processing of digital photos was taking a very long time, so it was time to get something faster. The idea of the blu-ray burner was to be able to create blu-ray slide shows from our digitial photos and videos.

The laptop came with Roxio Creator 2011 pre-installed and, from its functionality, it appeared to be the complete product as compared to only a "starter" product. All of the Creator 2011 functionality appears to be there and functional and when I checked with Roxio Tech Support and gave them the build number they told me it was a complete version. But when I tried to create a blu-ray slide show the button to access that was disabled. Checking on the Roxio web site told me that I needed to buy a blu-ray plugin so I did so and downloaded it. However when I tried to install the plugin I was told that I did not have an installed version of Creator 2011. Of course I did, but the plugin software does not "see" it. I assume the Dell version of Creator 2011 has somewhat different information in the Registry so the plugin cannot find it, but that is a guess. In any case Technical Support was unable to tell me why I could not apply the plugin and said that they had to check with Dell to find out what they (Dell) were doing that would cause this issue.

Because the whole idea was to create blu-ray slide shows I thought I might "upgrade" from the Dell Creator 2011 to the regular Creator 2011. I do not expect there to be any additional functionality, but I assume I would be able to apply the blu-ray plugin. So (after all of this) my questions are:

1) Does the "upgrade" require that the current version be installed to work?

2) If so, since the blu-ray plugin will not "see" my current Creator 2011 install, will the "upgrade" see it?

3) Should I expect after the "upgrade" that the blu-ray plugin will work? And, lastly,

4) If I run into problems with the install of either the "upgrade" or the plugin will Roxio refund my money?

Thanks.

#2 gi7omy

gi7omy

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,033 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:34 AM

There are two plugins - one to play DVDs and one to record.

However it's possible that the Dell variant does have some missing (or altered) functioanlity and not having seen it, I doubt if anyone here would know what that may be

High-Def/Blu-ray Disc Plug-In for Roxio Creator 2011

* Author high-definition video on Blu-ray Discs
    * Watch your masterpiece on your HDTV
    * Build a library of your high-def TiVo recordings
    * Dress up your high-def discs in style
    * Plug-in is compatible with Creator 2011 (included with Pro versions)

Blu-ray Playback Plug-In for Roxio Creator 2011

* Play Blu-ray discs, including Hollywood movies, on your PC
    * Enjoy stunning HD video playback quality on your PC
    * Experience next-gen interactive features
    * Rich High-Def Home Theater Audio
    * Optimized for both powerful and energy-efficient computers and workstations

Dell may be able to say whether or not there has been any bits changed to prevent the plugin from installing
If it ain't broke, fiddle with it until it breaks, then fiddle with it until you get it fixed

"Rincewind could scream for mercy in nineteen languages and just scream in another forty-four "

"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee; that will do them in."

“Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.” — Mitch Ratcliffe

Daithi

Home Brew computer
Intel I7 950 on Gigabyte X58A UD3R mobo
12 GB Three Channel DDRAM
Radeon HD4850 512 MB GDR3 graphics
Signalink USB Audio Codec for ham radio connection
1 x 160 GB, 1 x 330 GB, 1 x 400 GB IDE drives
4 x 250 GB SATA 2
LG HL-DT-ST GGW-H20L BD-RE drive
22" Acer P223W monitor

EMC 7.5 on Windows XP 32 SP3
EMC10 on Windows XP64 SP2
Creator 2011 on Windows 7 Ultimate
ECD6 on Gentoo Linux (running under VMWare)

#3 MikeFromMesa

MikeFromMesa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:49 AM

View Postgi7omy, on 18 July 2011 - 06:34 AM, said:

There are two plugins - one to play DVDs and one to record.

However it's possible that the Dell variant does have some missing (or altered) functioanlity and not having seen it, I doubt if anyone here would know what that may be

Dell may be able to say whether or not there has been any bits changed to prevent the plugin from installing

1) Yes, I knew that. I bought, downloaded and tried to install the record plugin,

2) I did not expect anyone on this forum to know about the Dell version of Creator 2011. My questions were intended to be more general -

i) if I was using some other version of Roxio Creator (2010 for example) and bought an "upgrade", would I have to have that version installed when I did the "upgrade" or would I only need the SN from that product?

ii) And, since Roxio does not offer any trial versions, if I have trouble with the software will I be able to easily get a refund?

Just to let you know Dell cannot tell me why the Roxio plugin will not install (they say contact Roxio) and Roxio does not know what Dell has done to the product and they say contact Dell. I am sure you know the dance.

#4 gi7omy

gi7omy

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,033 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:02 AM

Dell do have that nasty habit of trying to shift support for OEM products to Roxio (despite the agreement that they would handle it), so it's no surprise there

There is a 30 day refund option available on the downloaded versions from Roxio (I don't know if that applies to retail, over-the-counter boxed sets, but I doubt it)

You need it installed (there's a different key for the Blu-Ray patches)
If it ain't broke, fiddle with it until it breaks, then fiddle with it until you get it fixed

"Rincewind could scream for mercy in nineteen languages and just scream in another forty-four "

"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee; that will do them in."

“Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.” — Mitch Ratcliffe

Daithi

Home Brew computer
Intel I7 950 on Gigabyte X58A UD3R mobo
12 GB Three Channel DDRAM
Radeon HD4850 512 MB GDR3 graphics
Signalink USB Audio Codec for ham radio connection
1 x 160 GB, 1 x 330 GB, 1 x 400 GB IDE drives
4 x 250 GB SATA 2
LG HL-DT-ST GGW-H20L BD-RE drive
22" Acer P223W monitor

EMC 7.5 on Windows XP 32 SP3
EMC10 on Windows XP64 SP2
Creator 2011 on Windows 7 Ultimate
ECD6 on Gentoo Linux (running under VMWare)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users