Jump to content

Roxio Community

Toast 5 Fail Open In Os10.4.11


  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 4fish

4fish

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:54 AM

I have an old imac (800MHz G4 running 10.4.11)  but my toast 5 titanium will not open - gets an unexpectedly quit message instantly.

Have tried reinstalling toast.  Anyone have a solution?  Spin doctor will open.

#2 tsantee

tsantee

    Digital Guru

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Eugene, Oregon

Posted 11 August 2011 - 05:10 PM

Don't know if this is the reason, but the presence of any xvid codecs in a Library>QuickTime folder will prevent Toast from launching.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#3 4fish

4fish

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:05 PM

View Posttsantee, on 11 August 2011 - 05:10 PM, said:

Don't know if this is the reason, but the presence of any xvid codecs in a Library>QuickTime folder will prevent Toast from launching.
Don't find any such xvid codecs.  Still at a loss to understand the problem.  Thanks for the idea.

#4 tsantee

tsantee

    Digital Guru

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Eugene, Oregon

Posted 12 August 2011 - 06:05 AM

It may be that Toast 5 just doesn't run on OS 10.4. You need version 5.1.2 or later (I believe) to run in any version of OS X. I believe 5.2.3 was that last update to Toast 5. Also, Toast 5's installer didn't work in OS X. As a bit of history Toast 5 was released before the first OS X was available. Roxio enabled OS X support about mid-way through Toast 5's life. But those were very early days and a lot has changed since then.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#5 4fish

4fish

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 12:19 PM

View Posttsantee, on 12 August 2011 - 06:05 AM, said:

It may be that Toast 5 just doesn't run on OS 10.4. You need version 5.1.2 or later (I believe) to run in any version of OS X. I believe 5.2.3 was that last update to Toast 5. Also, Toast 5's installer didn't work in OS X. As a bit of history Toast 5 was released before the first OS X was available. Roxio enabled OS X support about mid-way through Toast 5's life. But those were very early days and a lot has changed since then.
Well, the box (Toast 5 Titanium) says it was "built for OS-X" and it did work but now does not.  Beats me.

#6 tsantee

tsantee

    Digital Guru

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Eugene, Oregon

Posted 12 August 2011 - 04:07 PM

View Post4fish, on 12 August 2011 - 12:19 PM, said:

Well, the box (Toast 5 Titanium) says it was "built for OS-X" and it did work but now does not.  Beats me.
OK. Presuming you have one of the later versions of Toast 5 that is supposed to work in the early versions of OSX it does make sense that it should at least launch in OS 10.4. Which version of Toast 5 do you have? Maybe something is corrupted. Try trashing the Toast plist and prefs files in your User>Library>Preferences folder and then try relaunching Toast. Are you able to reinstall it or drag over a copy from a backup?

What are you wanting to use Toast for? Apple's disc burning tools can do most of what Toast 5 can do.
I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users