• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Pinball32

Pinball32

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:30 PM

I am running "Roxio Creator and my DVD 9.1" on my Dell XPS420 under VISTA. The program used to work flawlessly. Now when I attempt to load it. I get the error shown below when I try to execute copy. I have attempted a complete uninstall using the six steps outlined in knowledge base article 000127CR and then a reinstall. The program worked one time after that and then the error reoccured. Please advise.

========================================================

Product
Roxio Creator

Problem
Stopped working

Date
7/13/2011 12:51 AM

Status
Not Reported

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Roxio_Central33.exe
Application Version: 3.50.38.0
Application Timestamp: 46c64d13
Fault Module Name: StackHash_ad76
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 06d250fb
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: ad76
Additional Information 2: 8657a7011c7c677b1dd80436803b6ef2
Additional Information 3: 3a22
Additional Information 4: f406ed51837d846c8bb5f49f788e23c0

#2 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,390 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 02:40 AM

Please explain the bold part; "Now when I attempt to load it. I get the error shown below when I try to execute copy"

Are you using a registry cleaner -- either a stand alone or as part of your anti-virus? If so, that is what is causing the problem.

When did you do a full maintenance check and update on that computer?

What did you recently install/update on that computer? How old is it? It is keeping time properly?

Edited by sknis, 13 August 2011 - 02:42 AM.

PC  Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin): Windows 1064 bit,  I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Laptop - Windows 8.1  Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4. I-7 third generation @2.4, 8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Laptop - Windows 10

Dell 13 inch convertible.

#3 Pinball32

Pinball32

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 08:41 PM

Please explain the bold part; "Now when I attempt to load it. I get the error shown below when I try to execute copy"

Are you using a registry cleaner -- either a stand alone or as part of your anti-virus? If so, that is what is causing the problem.

When did you do a full maintenance check and update on that computer?

What did you recently install/update on that computer? How old is it? It is keeping time properly?

Thank you for your assistance. The computer is a 4 gig Dell XPS 420, purchased in 2008, there is ample space on the hard drive. The operating system is Microsoft Vista, all the Microsoft software has been continually updated as Microsoft releases updates.

When launched, the Roxio splash screen is displayed. Clicking on "copy" causes the ABEND and the Windows software records the error message that I provided. In the past I have run Crap Cleaner. My antivirus software is Trend Micro Titanium (and I do periodically run scans). The computer keeps perfect time. The Roxio software came preinstalled.

As I mentioned, I did a complete uninstall including deleting the registry entries as outlined in the knowledge base article. I then did an install using the Dell supplied Roxio CD. The Roxio software functioned one time and then reverted to the error condition described above. The Roxio software failed some time ago so I could not tell exactly what software was installed or updated at that time.

Could you please define what you mean by a full maintenance check and update.

#4 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,390 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 04:19 AM

Thank you for your assistance. The computer is a 4 gig Dell XPS 420, purchased in 2008, there is ample space on the hard drive. The operating system is Microsoft Vista, all the Microsoft software has been continually updated as Microsoft releases updates.

When launched, the Roxio splash screen is displayed. Clicking on "copy" causes the ABEND and the Windows software records the error message that I provided. In the past I have run Crap Cleaner. My antivirus software is Trend Micro Titanium (and I do periodically run scans). The computer keeps perfect time. The Roxio software came preinstalled.

As I mentioned, I did a complete uninstall including deleting the registry entries as outlined in the knowledge base article. I then did an install using the Dell supplied Roxio CD. The Roxio software functioned one time and then reverted to the error condition described above. The Roxio software failed some time ago so I could not tell exactly what software was installed or updated at that time.

Could you please define what you mean by a full maintenance check and update.

Running CCleaner and checking for virus infections are two of the maintenance items but there are more that you can do. Since you have a Dell, go there and update everything that needs to be updated (here) Those items include drivers for audio/video and more. It is possible that something has become corrupted. You can use this as a guide (link)

Remember to keep your anti-virus OFF when installing any new program.

I'm starting to lean to an issue with your hard drive. How often do you defrag it? Smart Defrag or Auslogics Defragger (both free from cnet.com) will do a good job and will be much quicker than the built Windows defragger. You might consider doing a CClean followed by a deep defrag. Those take a lot of time but if your hard drive is badly defragged it may be worth it. Hvae you gone to Dell and have you run their system checker?

You may also have some bad spots on the hard drive. When was the last time you used the built in Windows disc checker to repair or mark off the bad areas. Read this.

When you run CCleaner (Crap Cleaner is an old name - you may want to see if you have the latest version of that). CCleaner has a built in Registry cleaner. Registry Cleaners cause more problems then they are worth.

Just for you information, if the programs came with the Dell and you did not pay good money to purchase the programs, then you have an OEM version (read this) . That is a cut-down, teaser version of the software. Dell is responsible for the problems you are having with the program and the computer. You may want to contact them. The instructions on how to remove the program from your computer are for the full versions and may not be correct for the OEM software that you have. Also, I use Revo Uninstaller (free from cnet.com) in the MODERATE Mode to uninstall software that I no longer want. It does have a registry cleaner but it is more focused to the program you are uninstalling. There will be a lot of registry entries.

Let us know how you get along.

PC  Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin): Windows 1064 bit,  I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Laptop - Windows 8.1  Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4. I-7 third generation @2.4, 8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Laptop - Windows 10

Dell 13 inch convertible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users