• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tomincanada

tomincanada

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 12:01 PM

Audio .cda files not recognized on my new computer.   Audio .CDA files are recognized on my old computer using the identical Roxio software (Easy CD & DVD Creator 6).   I want to convert the audio .cda files to audio mp3 files. It works on my old computer but not my new one.  Your assistance is appreciated. Thanks, Tom

#2 tbrewst

tbrewst

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,134 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 03:25 PM

.cda is not really a file format,rather it's like a menu of the tracks on the cd.The tracks are actually PCM or WAV.Either way you should be able to see the tracks and pull them off the cd onto your drive,converting them to whatever format as they rip.
RIP Johnny Winter

Terry

64 bitWindows 8.1 OS
AMD FX-8320 8 core 3.5Ghz processor with Arctic Freezer 64 Pro cooling fan
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 AM3+ motherboard
Galaxy  GeForce GTX 550 Ti video card with 1Gb memory
8Gb G Skill Ripjaws Series DDR3 1600 RAM
120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD drive
1Tb Hitachi SATA hard drive
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray drive
Lite-On iHAS224-06 SATA DVD drive
Rosewill Destroyer case
Cambridge Soundworks THX 5.1 speaker system
Onboard Realtek HD audio
I-inc iH-252HPB 25" widescreen monitor connected via HDMI
Samsung 2525W Laser Printer

#3 tomincanada

tomincanada

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 04:37 PM

View Posttbrewst, on Jan 13 2006, 03:25 PM, said:

.cda is not really a file format,rather it's like a menu of the tracks on the cd.The tracks are actually PCM or WAV.Either way you should be able to see the tracks and pull them off the cd onto your drive,converting them to whatever format as they rip.

Yes, the files on the CD are named "track01.CDA" etc.
Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator 6 recognizes these .cda files on my old computer and I can change the files to mp3's.  However the exact same program, Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator 6, does not recognize the same track01.cda on my new computer.
Any thoughts on this?
Thanks,  Tom

Edited by tomincanada, 13 January 2006 - 04:40 PM.

#4 tbrewst

tbrewst

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,134 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 05:29 PM

"CD Audio (.cda) tracks are audio files that can be stored on CD media. The .cda files are representations of CD audio tracks and do not contain the actual pulse code modulation (PCM) information. Cda files can be played only from a CD-ROM. To test a .cda file, either try to play a different .cda file from your CD-ROM or try to play a .cda file from a different CD-ROM. Copied from the CD-ROM to the hard disc it cannot be played. This is format used for encoding music on all commercial compact discs. If you buy a CD from a store, the music on that CD is stored in CDA format."

Are you able to play cd's on your new computer?If you can then it's recognizing the files.I guess I'm not understanding what you're saying by your computer doesn't recognize them.When you put a cd in does Roxio see the tracks?

Edited by tbrewst, 13 January 2006 - 05:29 PM.

RIP Johnny Winter

Terry

64 bitWindows 8.1 OS
AMD FX-8320 8 core 3.5Ghz processor with Arctic Freezer 64 Pro cooling fan
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 AM3+ motherboard
Galaxy  GeForce GTX 550 Ti video card with 1Gb memory
8Gb G Skill Ripjaws Series DDR3 1600 RAM
120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD drive
1Tb Hitachi SATA hard drive
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray drive
Lite-On iHAS224-06 SATA DVD drive
Rosewill Destroyer case
Cambridge Soundworks THX 5.1 speaker system
Onboard Realtek HD audio
I-inc iH-252HPB 25" widescreen monitor connected via HDMI
Samsung 2525W Laser Printer

#5 philiptdotcom

philiptdotcom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:50 PM

I completely understand the problem, and I'm having the same one (w/ v.6).  Same computer that used to work just fine, though.  Now, Roxio will read the CD but won't recognize .cda files as audio format.  If I tell it to look for "all files" instead of "audio files," it DOES show the .CDAs (but they're NOT showed [e.g., titles/etc.] when I look for "audio files": the file list is BLANK).  However, even though it does SHOW the .CDAs when I look for "all files," it still doesn't recognize/treat/use them as audio files.

I'd still very much like to understand how to fix this problem!

Aloha,
-pt

Edited by philiptdotcom, 19 August 2012 - 11:51 PM.

#6 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,087 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:28 AM

pt,

This topic has been dead for over 6 1/2 years, and the original poster never logged in after his first day.  We're probably best to treat your post as a new topic, as it should have been, and we can carry on with your problem since the OP has left the house.

Now, you say you're running version 6 - what program or menu item are you running?
You say "used to work just fine". What changes have you made to your computer, its Operating System, or its installed programs between the time when it used to recognize .CDA placemarkers as audio files, and the time when you first noticed it didn't do that any more?

Regards,
Brendon
P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,
BENQ DW1640, in XP Pro and Windows 7

"I did it until . . "

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users