Frank

Sound editor

Question

In trying to clean up clicks and noise I click on clean and nothing happens I may be missing a step but what is it.

The ask roxane page is useless! :)

Frank

10 answers to this question

i cant help you with the click problem but i agree with you about Roxanne. I hope you are as fortunate as me. Although i have not resolved my issue entirely the forum has been a lot more helpful than Roxane or live internet support.

Edited by mpp39

i cant help you with the click problem but i agree with you about Roxanne. I hope you are as fortunate as me. Although i have not resolved my issue entirely the forum has been a lot more helpful than Roxane or live internet support.

How bad are the clicks? If they are really bad and if you try to get rid of them entirely, you will distort the music. If you captured from an LP, the only real solution is to go back, clean the LP (google for cleaning suggestions) and then recapture. Sound editor is not a full service audio fixer. If you have followed the directions and still can get rid of the clicks, download the trial copy of VideoWave and try that. If you still can't get rid of the clicks with that, without distorting the audio, nothing will do it.

How bad are the clicks? If they are really bad and if you try to get rid of them entirely, you will distort the music. If you captured from an LP, the only real solution is to go back, clean the LP (google for cleaning suggestions) and then recapture. Sound editor is not a full service audio fixer. If you have followed the directions and still can get rid of the clicks, download the trial copy of VideoWave and try that. If you still can't get rid of the clicks with that, without distorting the audio, nothing will do it.

Guru, The indication is that while in sound editor I bring up the cleanup, click ok and absoutly nothing happens!

Frank

Don't mean to butt in but you do have the track added b4 trying to hit clean from the tool menu don't you?If you do and nothing happens then I'd think you might have a problem with your installation.I tried it and it worked just fine.A box should popup that has 4 sliders.

Don't mean to butt in but you do have the track added b4 trying to hit clean from the tool menu don't you?If you do and nothing happens then I'd think you might have a problem with your installation.I tried it and it worked just fine.A box should popup that has 4 sliders.

Yes Terry I get the popup with the sliders, set them on medium, click on go and nothing happens.

I really dont want to go to tech. help and pay a fee on a new update. It would seem there should be a warranty period but directly after I downloaded the update they still wanted to charge me for advice.

Bummer :)

Have you tried clicking on Bypass or Difference to see how much was being filtered? You can also move the sliders while it's playing so you can hear the difference.

If you are not hearing a difference, then it may be a sound card driver issue. EMC 8 requires DirectX 9.0c and hardware that supports it.

post-49-1154906906.jpg

Edited by ggrussell

I'm not sure about the noise part of your problem, but I had a couple of old 78 rpm records that I captured to my computer and after I checked them out by playing them, one had several noticeable clicks or noise spikes caused by a scratch in the record. (At 78 rpm that's a lot of "spikes" too) When I brought it up in Sound Editor, I used the little Zoom buttons up in the right hand corner of the screen and expanded the time track and found the clicks (spikes were way high on the profile). The time track was expanded to just a few hundreds of a second as I remember. I just deleted out that spike and saved the file. Playing the audio file back again I really didn't even notice any difference in the way the audio played (BTW, the audio file had voice on it).

Filtering out the other "noise" using the option should have done some good I would think.

Frank....

Yes Terry I get the popup with the sliders, set them on medium, click on go and nothing happens.

I really dont want to go to tech. help and pay a fee on a new update. It would seem there should be a warranty period but directly after I downloaded the update they still wanted to charge me for advice.

Bummer :)

The other thing you need to be aware of is that after you set up your cleaning filter options, you then need to export the track to a new file. Just setting the filters and playing it while your in Sound Editor does NOT change your original sound file. Click "Export Tracks/Clips", then on the next screen select the options you want (file format, etc.) and save it. That exported track will be cleaned, the original is left as it was. If you simply click "File -> Save" all you're saving is the .dmsm file, which is the "project" file, telling Sound Editor what to do when you finally export the tracks.

Hope that helps!

I guess what bothers me is that the clean up does'nt give any indication of anything happening.

In the old program I could see the clean up progressing through the clip. So should I see some action when I click on go? :)

Frank

I guess what bothers me is that the clean up does'nt give any indication of anything happening.

In the old program I could see the clean up progressing through the clip. So should I see some action when I click on go? :)

Frank

Did you try it? As explained previously, with your tracks in Sound Editor, and the options for cleaning set for each track (if more than one) select "Export Tracks/Clips." On the next screen, select the appropriate location to save the cleaned tracks, including "Use Clips from Project". Click the "Export" button, and you'll see a progress bar showing something happening to the clips.

Hope that helps!