• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 flatpac

flatpac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 02:37 PM

Has anyone had any success in packaging Creator 2011 Pro for silent distribution?

So far I've identified the following...

The setup.exe calls a bunch of MSI's and switches passed to it are passed directly through to each of the MSI's that is calls.
It calls each MSI with the INSTALLERDIR property which is a launch condition within each MSI.  The setup also seems to connect to the internet and install some non-MSI components and a licensing component.

I see 2 options....

1. Call the setup with switches to run the install silently excluding unwanted features.
2. Run each MSI individually and replicate the setup Custom Actions via script.

I've attempted to call each of the MSI's in the same order as the setup.

e.g.
msiexec /i "\EMC_130\Roxio Creator 2011 Pro.msi" TRANSFORMS=1033.mst REBOOT=ReallySuppress ALLUSERS=1 INSTALLERDIR=%pathtofiles% /qb+ /l*v emc.log
The MSI"s install OK (confirmed in logs) but the programs don't open.  I assume it's the licensing part missing.

Installing the setup like this seems to work although
setup.exe /qn NO_ONLINE_ACCESS=0 FORCE_ENCRYPTION=0 ROX_KEYTEXT=xx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx ADDLOCAL=ALL RX_EULA_ACCEPTED=1 REBOOT=ReallySuppress /l*v "C:\WINDOWS\DEBUG\%RANDOM%_ROXIO.log"  
... but this installs everything and doesn't allow per-user preferences to be setup via advertised shortcut.  (To turn off registration pop-ups, Ads  etc.)

Anyone have any experience with this?

#2 Brendon

Brendon

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,382,157 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 02:48 PM

You shouldn't be "packaging Creator 2011 Pro for silent distribution" unless you have a volume license or are a PIRATE.

From the Roxio KnowledgeBase HERE:

Silent installation is available for Volume Licensing Program only. When you purchase a volume license, Roxio will provide instructions for an option to install using command line switches. For more information, visit our Volume Licensing Program HERE.

Note: Retail or OEM versions of Roxio products do not have silent installation option.

P4 @3.20GHz on Albatron PX-865PE Pro II with 2GB DDR-SDRAM, FX5900XT video, Viewsonic monitors,
BENQ DW1640, in XP Pro and Windows 7

"I did it until . . "

#3 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,853 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 03:12 PM

View Postflatpac, on 21 August 2011 - 02:37 PM, said:

Has anyone had any success in packaging Creator 2011 Pro for silent distribution?

So far I've identified the following...

The setup.exe calls a bunch of MSI's and switches passed to it are passed directly through to each of the MSI's that is calls.
It calls each MSI with the INSTALLERDIR property which is a launch condition within each MSI.  The setup also seems to connect to the internet and install some non-MSI components and a licensing component.

I see 2 options....

1. Call the setup with switches to run the install silently excluding unwanted features.
2. Run each MSI individually and replicate the setup Custom Actions via script.

I've attempted to call each of the MSI's in the same order as the setup.

e.g.
msiexec /i "\EMC_130\Roxio Creator 2011 Pro.msi" TRANSFORMS=1033.mst REBOOT=ReallySuppress ALLUSERS=1 INSTALLERDIR=%pathtofiles% /qb+ /l*v emc.log
The MSI"s install OK (confirmed in logs) but the programs don't open.  I assume it's the licensing part missing.

Installing the setup like this seems to work although
setup.exe /qn NO_ONLINE_ACCESS=0 FORCE_ENCRYPTION=0 ROX_KEYTEXT=xx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx ADDLOCAL=ALL RX_EULA_ACCEPTED=1 REBOOT=ReallySuppress /l*v "C:\WINDOWS\DEBUG\%RANDOM%_ROXIO.log"  
... but this installs everything and doesn't allow per-user preferences to be setup via advertised shortcut.  (To turn off registration pop-ups, Ads  etc.)

Anyone have any experience with this?

I see a 3rd option ... a cease & desist letter and perhaps a visit from the police:lol:

If you are talking about Volume licensing then you best talk to Roxio Customer service. Nobody here has any experience with that option.

Edited by myguggi, 21 August 2011 - 08:49 PM.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#4 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,429 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:32 PM

Busted.  LOL.
Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971

Main System:
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard; Cooler Master ATCS 840 Case
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
PLEXTOR Black DVD Burner, Model PX-880SA; Pioneer Black 8X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R Burner
EVGA GEFORCE GTX 670 2GB Video Card
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series Sound Card
Windows XP Pro w/SP3

Backup Computer:
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Windows 7 Pro w/SP1

#5 flatpac

flatpac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:23 AM

Arrrrrrgh.... me hearties!  

Seriously people.  Whose really being one-eyed here?

#6 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,853 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:27 AM

View Postflatpac, on 22 August 2011 - 11:23 AM, said:

Arrrrrrgh.... me hearties!  

Seriously people.  Whose really being one-eyed here?

You are!

We have no info regarding your question. Ask Roxio!

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#7 Angelyne

Angelyne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:24 AM

This is kinda BS.  Why would you automatically assume that someone looking to automate the installation of Roxio is a pirate.  A pirate would simply download a cracked version of a licensed version and save himself the headache.  The reason I am trying to automate the installation of Roxio is precisely BECAUSE I'm not a pirate.  Every machine we purchase from Dell comes with an OEM license of Roxio Creator Starter.  Like most companies, I do not keep the original OEM installation but use a corporate image, with an  unattended type installation. Thus the need for a silent installation.

#8 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,615 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:39 AM

View PostAngelyne, on 20 September 2011 - 08:24 AM, said:

This is kinda BS.  Why would you automatically assume that someone looking to automate the installation of Roxio is a pirate.  A pirate would simply download a cracked version of a licensed version and save himself the headache.  The reason I am trying to automate the installation of Roxio is precisely BECAUSE I'm not a pirate.  Every machine we purchase from Dell comes with an OEM license of Roxio Creator Starter.  Like most companies, I do not keep the original OEM installation but use a corporate image, with an  unattended type installation. Thus the need for a silent installation.

In your case, you have a Dell OEM version.  All support for OEM comes from the hardware manufacturer.  In your case Dell.  They should be able to help you.

Remember this is a users group paid for but not populated by Roxio employees.   We are all USERS and would not have any experience with a DEll OEM silent install.  Some of our members are computer wizzes in their own right.  Some of those have posted above.  

Normally this thread would have been closed by now but I'd like to hear how you make out with Roxio business corporate.

Why have you changed your name?

Perhaps you are honest.  There are others out there that are not.  That makes a thread like this suck for honest people.

Edited by sknis, 20 September 2011 - 08:47 AM.

PC  Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit  
Velocity Micro ProMagix ©HD 60; evga x58 motherboard, Intel i7 @2.93, 12G RAM, 250G SSD,  EVGA Nvidia 560TI superclocked video card, SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme audio card, Buffalo external blu-ray burner; Creator 2012, Creator NXT2 Pro. PhotoShow 6, VHS to DVD 3Plus and others.

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#9 flatpac

flatpac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:35 PM

Angelyne....

I'll post my new notes soon which will hopefully be helpful for you.

There is some commonality between the various versions with regards to the setup arguments and MSI properties.

I managed to get Creator 2011 Pro installing silently with the features I wanted using the following but I'm working on a more robust solution.  I tried splitting out and installing the various MSI's individually in the same order but there must have been setup.exe logic that was being missed as the Roxio Central wasing showing everything correctly.  What Roxio Central displays is quite configurable via xml files but I decided to abort that track for a better overall solution.

Here's my script....  (NOTE:  This was for testing only.  Use for reference not for prod.  e.g. This doesn't have good error trapping to pass back to SCCM/SMS/Alteris/etc)

'==========================================================================
'
' NAME:   install.vbs
' AUTHOR:   Captain Feathersword - 'Arrrghh... Hang 'im from the yardarm'
' DATE  :   24/08/2011
' PURPOSE:  Installs Roxio Creator 2011 Pro
' APP NAME:  Sonic Solutions Roxio Creator 2011 Pro
' PREREQUSITES: .NET 3.5 SP1
'	DirextX v9
'	MSXML 4.0 Parser
' INSTALLS:  Sonic Solutions Roxio Creator 2011 Pro
'==========================================================================

Option Explicit
'On Error Resume Next
Dim oShell, oFSO, oDictionary, scriptReturnCode, tempDir, flagFile, windir
Dim LogPath, scriptname, scriptpath, RemoveOldVersions, oldProdCodes, retVal, app
Dim allusersprofile
Set oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Set oFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set oDictionary= CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")

' Get Relative Path
scriptname = WScript.ScriptFullName
scriptpath = oFSO.GetParentFolderName(scriptname)

' Get Temp and Windows Directories
tempDir = addBackslash(oShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%TEMP%"))
windir = addBackslash(oShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%windir%"))
allusersprofile = addBackslash(oShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%allusersprofile%"))

' Set Logging Path
LogPath = windir & "Debug\"

' Run the installation
oShell.CurrentDirectory = scriptpath

'Check for Roxio Central installed... If not, continue with setup.exe
If IsInstalled("{77CDA026-3860-4C95-8233-34F3CEF121FB}") = False Then
retVal = oShell.Run ("setup.exe SETUPLANG=ENU FORCE_ENCRYPTION=0 ARCHITECTURE=86 NO_ONLINE_ACCESS=1 ROX_KEYTEXT=xx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx REBOOT=ReallySuppress ALLUSERS=1 ROOTDRIVE=C:\ /qn /l*v " _
& LogPath & "Roxio_Creator_2001_Pro.log",,True)
WScript.Sleep(4000)
Else
WScript.Quit
End If

If oFSO.FileExists(allusersprofile & "\Desktop\Roxio Creator 2011 Pro.lnk") Then
oFSO.DeleteFile allusersprofile & "\Desktop\Roxio Creator 2011 Pro.lnk", True
End If

' Uninstall products not needed
oDictionary.Add "Roxio CinePlayer","{A9024A22-FB0E-4DDC-AB93-44D686F7F491}"
oDictionary.Add "Roxio BackOnTrack","{729B89D0-946A-407E-A121-343BD3320C40}"
oDictionary.Add "Roxio BackOnTrackPE","{BD3EAE4D-862D-4D41-8BB5-F5C2CFFE6022}"
oDictionary.Add "CinePlayer Decoder Pack","{FFAC39DA-CF79-434B-A6E0-4055689667D9}"
oDictionary.Add "SmartSound Quicktracks 5","{2F8BA3FD-1FA9-4279-B696-712ABB12F09F}"
oDictionary.Add "SmartSound Common Data","{B8A2869E-30CA-40C5-9CF8-BD7354E57EF8}"
oDictionary.Add "Roxio Streamer Desktop Applications","{F38406EE-EB4C-449E-B0EF-6887CA988124}"
oDictionary.Add "Roxio Streamer","{B44C746E-2A9E-4184-9FF8-7A44FCA749CE}"
oDictionary.Add "Roxio Video Capture USB","{86DDDAAD-AEB9-42E5-BE01-0E8FABD2BB29}"
oDictionary.Add "Google Toolbar","{18455581-E099-4BA8-BC6B-F34B2F06600C}"

For Each app In oDictionary.Keys
RemoveMSI app, oDictionary.Item(app)
Next

Set oShell = Nothing
Set oFSO = Nothing
WScript.Quit

' Is the windows installer product installed True/False
Function IsInstalled(sProductCode)
On Error Resume Next
Dim RegVal

Err.Clear 
RegVal = oShell.RegRead ("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\" & sProductCode & "\DisplayName")
If Err.Number <> 0 Then
  IsInstalled = False
  Err.Clear
  Exit Function
End If

If Len(RegVal) < 1 Then
  IsInstalled = False
  Exit Function
End If

IsInstalled = True
End Function

Function addBackslash(sString)
On Error Resume Next

If Right(sString,1) = "\" Then
  addBackslash = sString
Else
  addBackslash = sString & "\"
End If
End Function

Sub RemoveMSI(ProductName,ProductCode)
On Error Resume Next
If IsInstalled(ProductCode) = True Then
  oShell.Run "msiexec /x " & ProductCode & " REBOOT=ReallySuppress /qn /l*v """ & LogPath & ProductName & "_uninstall.log""",,True
  WScript.Sleep 2000
End If
End Sub

I then set a few per user settings such as...

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Roxio\HomeUtils\{4433FF9E-AF21-4E41-B296-4E13BF4D52F5}]
"ShowEULA"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Roxio\EMC13\Creator Classic\11.0\Settings]
"UseWindowsTemp"=dword:00000001

But like I said above, I wasn't happy with this so I'm trying a different tact with different software.  I'll let you know how I get on.

#10 gi7omy

gi7omy

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,033 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:11 PM

At least you didn't give out the product key :lol:
If it ain't broke, fiddle with it until it breaks, then fiddle with it until you get it fixed

"Rincewind could scream for mercy in nineteen languages and just scream in another forty-four "

"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee; that will do them in."

“Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.” — Mitch Ratcliffe

Daithi

Home Brew computer
Intel I7 950 on Gigabyte X58A UD3R mobo
12 GB Three Channel DDRAM
Radeon HD4850 512 MB GDR3 graphics
Signalink USB Audio Codec for ham radio connection
1 x 160 GB, 1 x 330 GB, 1 x 400 GB IDE drives
4 x 250 GB SATA 2
LG HL-DT-ST GGW-H20L BD-RE drive
22" Acer P223W monitor

EMC 7.5 on Windows XP 32 SP3
EMC10 on Windows XP64 SP2
Creator 2011 on Windows 7 Ultimate
ECD6 on Gentoo Linux (running under VMWare)

#11 flatpac

flatpac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:27 PM

View Postgi7omy, on 22 September 2011 - 08:11 PM, said:

At least you didn't give out the product key :lol:

Precisely.... who needs to be a pirate when you can just google ""deleted"

Go the All Blacks!! :D

Edited by sknis, 23 September 2011 - 02:46 AM.
You don't have to help the pseudo pirates !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users