dennisgu

Audio Cds Cut Of 1St Few Seconds Of Song On Some Cd Players

Question

I use Toast Titanium 6.1.1 on my Intel iMac. When I burn .wav or .aif files to an audio CD, sometimes the 1st second or two gets cut off of the beginning of the song. Especially if it's the 1st song on the disk. They play pretty good from song to song after the first song, but if I move ahead to the next song, sometimes it happens on that song. This happens a lot on my car cd player and less often on my DVD/CD player in my home AV setup. It doesn't happen at all on my Walkman type CD player or my little Sony boom box player. The guy who mastered my songs said it could be the software and/or hardware I'm burning with. I have no such problems playing these back as files on my computer or as mp3s on any device. I solved the problem, I think by adding another second of silence at the beginning of each file, but I'm not sure if they may or may not have compromised my masters in any way. Anyone have any thoughts?

4 answers to this question

I'm not a Toast user, but it's definitely an odd problem you're describing. It almost sounds like Toast is recording in Track-At-Once (TAO) mode, and instead of putting silence in the pregap, it's putting in music from the "next" song.

A quick question, when you play your CD, and it goes from say the first song, to the second song, if you watch the time indicator, does it go from whatever time it has at the end of the first song, to -0:02 and then count up to 0:00 as it goes into the second song? If so, then your CD is recorded in TAO mode. Now, if that's the case, does it start playing the next song as it's counting up from -2 seconds?

If it is recording in TAO mode, then look for an option in Toast to record in Disc-At-Once (DAO) mode. That eliminates the two second pre-gap (which is usually filled with silence anyway).

Hope that helps!

The sound of mine is a blowing wind. How could this possibly be?Just brought it. 1.gif:(

Umm... no idea what you're talking about, so give us lots more details about what you're doing and how you're doing it. And why not just attach your image directly here, as it's not showing up for me as a link.

Umm... no idea what you're talking about, so give us lots more details about what you're doing and how you're doing it. And why not just attach your image directly here, as it's not showing up for me as a link.

Mario is just another person, posting useless posts in both the MAC and PC forums.