Roxio Community

Mydvd Not Encoding, Not Advancing At All!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 XTwarrior

XTwarrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 02:22 PM

Hey guys, so far not a fan of the Roxio HDLab I bought, namely the MyDVD burner software, hoping you can help me out.

First, system Specs:
Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit
Intel 3.16ghz Duo-core Wolfdale Processor E8500
EVGA 9800GTX+ overclocked video card
8 Gb DDR2 Ram
ASUS DRW-24B1ST DVD-RW burner (brand new; firmware up to date, running via SATA cable)
Media: Memorex DVD+R 4.7GB discs.

I am trying to burn some files. The JVC camcorder uses the AVCHD file type, or on my computer it is listed as a .mts file. The files are saved to my C drive, so they are not on the camcorder any more.  The file is recognized and editable in MyDVD and I can add and even play it in the HDlab suite.  However, when I go to actually burn the files onto a disc, MyDVD will just hang on the encoding.  This is very basic, I just grabbed 2 files, no fancy editing, standard 2D and am trying to burn them to a completely untouched disc.  I literally bought the new DVD burner (ASUS) because I thought my Old Lite-On was bad (which actually it probably is being that it couldn't even write data to the DVD using Nero) but it is still not working.  The Lite-On was hooked up via the older style 'band' cable, I believe it is just ATA?  The new drive is running via the Serial ATA that my hard drives use as well, I believe transfer speed is 3 gb/s.  

Last night I tried to burn using the new drive and I kid you not, I set it and walked away expecting it to work with the new drive, and 6 hours later when I came home, the screen looked like this with no errors:

Posted Image

I have no erros in my Event Viewer logs, no errors pop-up, it justs sits and does nothing.  Drive doesn't initiate (but from what I read it doesn't burn until after everything is encoded)

I can't think of what is going on.  My computer is restarted nearly daily so it isn't because it is not 'fresh'.  I'm really frustrated, I've been battling just trying to get a burned DVD of this for a friend for over a month and spent now $100 on it including the software and drive.  Please help.

Edited by XTwarrior, 26 August 2011 - 02:24 PM.

#2 XTwarrior

XTwarrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:10 PM

As an update, I successfully burned 4.3GB data(the raw .mts files) onto the same DVD+R disc, so the drive definitely works.

Edited by XTwarrior, 26 August 2011 - 06:11 PM.

#3 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,902 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:39 PM

View PostXTwarrior, on 26 August 2011 - 06:10 PM, said:

As an update, I successfully burned 4.3GB data(the raw .mts files) onto the same DVD+R disc, so the drive definitely works.

Your problem most likely has nothing to do with your burner but may be the source file.
Does it play in the myDVD preview?
Can you burn to an iso (image) file or to a folder set?

Can you output (export) to a mpeg2 (DVD quality) file?

The length of your video is only 5 minutes or so, is that correct?

Edited by myguggi, 29 August 2011 - 07:28 AM.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#4 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,142 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 02:46 AM

Need some more info about you’re your files and the total length of your project. (video is measured in TIME, never file size ;) )

What setting are they recorded it?

Some other minor points:

Overclocking = Problems! Stop doing it

Memorex is not well thought of… It is NOT the cause of this problem but stick to the good stuff ~ Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden/JVC.

Never use “Fit to Disc” for Quality in MyDVD! Sadly it is the default and you have to change it to HQ each and every Project!

Posted Image

#5 Guest_xtwarrior_*

Guest_xtwarrior_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2011 - 06:29 AM

View PostJim_Hardin, on 27 August 2011 - 02:46 AM, said:

Need some more info about you’re your files and the total length of your project. (video is measured in TIME, never file size ;) )

What setting are they recorded it?

Some other minor points:

Overclocking = Problems! Stop doing it

Memorex is not well thought of… It is NOT the cause of this problem but stick to the good stuff ~ Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden/JVC.

Never use “Fit to Disc” for Quality in MyDVD! Sadly it is the default and you have to change it to HQ each and every Project!

Trying to multiquote but not working.

My first test burn was a 17 second clip.  It was recorded by a JVC camcorder @ 720p with a rate of 30FPS, in the AVCHD format or filetype, whatever the correct term is.  The files I am working with are ONLY .MTS extensions.  Overclocking is probably not the issue here, and the overclock is set by EVGA to begin with, I haven't touched their settings. I've yet to have any issue with the computer playing back any media.

As for fit to DVD; has that caused these encoding issues?  The setting for the video and burning it are whatever MyDVD has it set to.  I messed with nothing to do the test burn. It still hung for several hours.  

One thing I want to note is I realized that when it goes to encode, it will play about 1 second of the video on that little burning status window and then just stops.  

As for myguggi; I'll try those tonight after work.  I only burned the files in their current state as a Data DVD through a very old version of Nero Essentials. It does play in the MyDVD media player where you can edit the clip itself.  

Length of videos are less than 5 minutes for sure.  If they are greater, does that cause an issue?

I did not try to convert to any format, not even sure how to do that.

#6 XTwarrior

XTwarrior

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 02:56 AM

So when trying to encode a 1:28 second clip, it does the same thing.  Plays/encodes the video for a second or so and then hangs:

Posted Image

Is there some setting I am missing?

Roxio Cineplayer plays the videos 100% fine with no hesitation and full audio.  All it asks me to do is select 2D for video format.
Roxio CineMagic plays it but choppily and with no audio; however it may be lack of settings, I am not sure.

FYI I need to figure this out soon so I know whether or not to return it.  I bought the physical disc since I was hoping to not have to deal with this, so I need to know to allow time for return shipping in the event that I do not have this figured out.

Edited by XTwarrior, 31 August 2011 - 03:01 AM.

#7 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,142 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:15 AM

Let's try this...

Do the Prep Steps to the letter!

Then start the install of the Suite, only pick Repair when it is offered.

Updates to Roxio will have to be installed ~ I don't know if there are any in the HD Lab???

Also use the VideoWave Program (Edit Video-Advanced). The Video Copy & Convert is very limited and not a good choice.
Posted Image

#8 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,902 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:19 AM

View PostXTwarrior, on 31 August 2011 - 02:56 AM, said:

So when trying to encode a 1:28 second clip, it does the same thing.  Plays/encodes the video for a second or so and then hangs:

Posted Image

Is there some setting I am missing?

Roxio Cineplayer plays the videos 100% fine with no hesitation and full audio.  All it asks me to do is select 2D for video format.
Roxio CineMagic plays it but choppily and with no audio; however it may be lack of settings, I am not sure.

FYI I need to figure this out soon so I know whether or not to return it.  I bought the physical disc since I was hoping to not have to deal with this, so I need to know to allow time for return shipping in the event that I do not have this figured out.

Roxio Cinemagic is the wrong program to use for any video work.The first thing it does is remove the native audio. Why it is part of any package is a mystery.
It also is not a video player and the choppiness you see is normal for video editing programs in the preview window.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users