Jump to content

Roxio Community

There's A New Creator 2012 That's Right For You


  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jinker

Jinker

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:09 AM

Whilst I've been a user of Roxio products for many a year and in most cases have upgraded to the new version more often than not I'm not sure what's on offer in the 2012 version justifies an upgrade price of £69.99.
The new bells 'n' whistles look nice of course but is it £69.99 nice?
No doubt there will be the response only you can decide that and I would accept that as a fair point but wouldn't it be fair to charge less, say 50% of new price when there isn't that much of a difference.
Or, am I barking up the wrong tree?

I know this is a brand new updated version for 2012 but wonder what others think?  
Is there enough in there to justify this sort of money? (I have my doubts)

NEW! Enhance your videos with 8 artistic effects
NEW! Convert and create DivX® videos
NEW! Powerful portrait improvement tools
NEW! 50 professional background music tracks

Pro Version

HDR Express™ by Unified Color for photo with stunning visual contrast
NEW! 14 amazing video effects found in nature and beyond
NEW! iZotope Music and Speech Cleaner™
NEW! DivX Plus® video converter and player
NEW! 100 soundtracks from Triple Scoop Music library
NEW! Soundtrack titles in the SmartSound® Easy Livin' collection

The rest looks to be the same as Creator Pro 2011.

Jinker

#2 Jinker

Jinker

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 05:07 AM

No replies so I will let you know what I decided to do.  Not buy....that's what!  £69.99 is just too much to pay for the upgraded bells n whistles.
I would have paid £34.99 or even 50% of the full asking price.  I know this is a user forum but maybe someone from Roxio might look in from time to time?
See you all in a year or sooner if they decide to offer a better deal for existing users.  

Jinker

#3 sknis

sknis

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,697 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hou,Tx

Posted 30 August 2011 - 05:15 AM

View PostJinker, on 30 August 2011 - 12:09 AM, said:

Whilst I've been a user of Roxio products for many a year and in most cases have upgraded to the new version more often than not I'm not sure what's on offer in the 2012 version justifies an upgrade price of £69.99.
The new bells 'n' whistles look nice of course but is it £69.99 nice?
No doubt there will be the response only you can decide that and I would accept that as a fair point but wouldn't it be fair to charge less, say 50% of new price when there isn't that much of a difference.
Or, am I barking up the wrong tree?

I know this is a brand new updated version for 2012 but wonder what others think?  
Is there enough in there to justify this sort of money? (I have my doubts)

NEW! Enhance your videos with 8 artistic effects
NEW! Convert and create DivX® videos
NEW! Powerful portrait improvement tools
NEW! 50 professional background music tracks

Pro Version

HDR Express™ by Unified Color for photo with stunning visual contrast
NEW! 14 amazing video effects found in nature and beyond
NEW! iZotope Music and Speech Cleaner™
NEW! DivX Plus® video converter and player
NEW! 100 soundtracks from Triple Scoop Music library
NEW! Soundtrack titles in the SmartSound® Easy Livin' collection

The rest looks to be the same as Creator Pro 2011.

Jinker

If you are doing down and dirty video editing, then there is probably nothing for you.  If you want more, then there may be something for you.   Everyone has to make their own decisions on the upgrade.  

If you want to improve your images,
HDR Express plug in sell for $100 by itself.  You would want to be able to improve your images.
The porttrait improvement tool is probably FaceFilter Studio that sells for about $60.
Of course, these propabably would be lite versions of those programs.
Those are just examples.

I think that the upgrade prices are about the same as those in the past.

Jinker, this is a forum and not a bulletin board so expecting an answer or comment in about 5 hours is not real life.  You made the right decision for you and you can always change it.  BTW, you did not say what version you have now. What you posted was better than Creator 2011 which added 3D and earlier versions that added High Definition.  Do  you have that  and do you use it?

Edited by sknis, 30 August 2011 - 05:19 AM.

PC  
Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin):  Windows 8.1 64 bit, I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#4 Jinker

Jinker

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:29 AM

View Postsknis, on 30 August 2011 - 05:15 AM, said:

If you are doing down and dirty video editing, then there is probably nothing for you.  If you want more, then there may be something for you.   Everyone has to make their own decisions on the upgrade.  

If you want to improve your images,
HDR Express plug in sell for $100 by itself.  You would want to be able to improve your images.
The porttrait improvement tool is probably FaceFilter Studio that sells for about $60.
Of course, these propabably would be lite versions of those programs.
Those are just examples.

I think that the upgrade prices are about the same as those in the past.

Jinker, this is a forum and not a bulletin board so expecting an answer or comment in about 5 hours is not real life.  You made the right decision for you and you can always change it.  BTW, you did not say what version you have now. What you posted was better than Creator 2011 which added 3D and earlier versions that added High Definition.  Do  you have that  and do you use it?


Thanks for the reply.  I'm using 2011 Pro on my main Pc and 2010 Pro on my laptop.  I didn't need the 3D in 2011 but it was an interesting addition.  I guess there's only so much you can do with buring software so they keep adding more functions.  As you say; I won't probably use them so the £69.99 upgrade was out of the question.
Incidently; I bought 2011 Pro for £29.99 when an email offer arrived a few months back and maybe that will happen again in the future.
I will have a look further at the items you've highlighted but I guess my main point was they're not offering a big enough discount to the likes of me to upgrade.
Might be better in the US but the cost here seems high?

Jinker

#5 sknis

sknis

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,697 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hou,Tx

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:35 AM

View PostJinker, on 30 August 2011 - 07:29 AM, said:

Thanks for the reply.  I'm using 2011 Pro on my main Pc and 2010 Pro on my laptop.  I didn't need the 3D in 2011 but it was an interesting addition.  I guess there's only so much you can do with buring software so they keep adding more functions.  As you say; I won't probably use them so the £69.99 upgrade was out of the question.
Incidently; I bought 2011 Pro for £29.99 when an email offer arrived a few months back and maybe that will happen again in the future.
I will have a look further at the items you've highlighted but I guess my main point was they're not offering a big enough discount to the likes of me to upgrade.
Might be better in the US but the cost here seems high?

Jinker

That Creator 2011 Pro for that price was probably an attempt to clear out the warehouse for the new version.  In about 10 months, you may see some discounts for Creator 2012 Pro.

Are you in  the UK?  Check these prices.
PC  
Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin):  Windows 8.1 64 bit, I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#6 gi7omy

gi7omy

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,033 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Belfast, Ireland

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:36 AM

It's not as bad as Microsoft when they sold their OS at a "$1 = £1" price tag and Gates defended that on the BBC saying "You have to allow for currency variations" despite the fact that the exchange rate at that time was $2 = £1

I will admit that the equivalent of $114.25 is a bit steep, but once you factor in what the bank will charge for conversion, it comes out pretty close to the original price
If it ain't broke, fiddle with it until it breaks, then fiddle with it until you get it fixed

"Rincewind could scream for mercy in nineteen languages and just scream in another forty-four "

"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee; that will do them in."

“Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.” — Mitch Ratcliffe


Daithi

Home Brew computer
Intel I7 950 on Gigabyte X58A UD3R mobo
12 GB Three Channel DDRAM
Radeon HD4850 512 MB GDR3 graphics
Signalink USB Audio Codec for ham radio connection
1 x 160 GB, 1 x 330 GB, 1 x 400 GB IDE drives
4 x 250 GB SATA 2
LG HL-DT-ST GGW-H20L BD-RE drive
22" Acer P223W monitor


EMC 7.5 on Windows XP 32 SP3
EMC10 on Windows XP64 SP2
Creator 2011 on Windows 7 Ultimate
ECD6 on Gentoo Linux (running under VMWare)

#7 Jinker

Jinker

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:51 AM

View Postsknis, on 30 August 2011 - 07:35 AM, said:

That Creator 2011 Pro for that price was probably an attempt to clear out the warehouse for the new version.  In about 10 months, you may see some discounts for Creator 2012 Pro.

Are you in  the UK?  Check these prices.

Thanks, nice link and more like the price I would pay for the upgrade so a review in more depth about what is on offer in the new 2012 version is now called for.
The previous offer I received for the 2011 pro was for a downloaded version which I prefer these days as it gets you the software there and then and no boxes to throw out in a couple of years.
I do however think it's about time the price was adjusted accordingly for downloads as against boxed versions.  (No box, no shipping, no printed manual, no discount?)

$114.00 is expensive for an upgrade to my mind and $81.00 still looks expensive but I will have another look.
Thanks for replying.

Jinker

#8 Jinker

Jinker

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:23 AM

View PostJinker, on 30 August 2011 - 10:51 AM, said:

Thanks, nice link and more like the price I would pay for the upgrade so a review in more depth about what is on offer in the new 2012 version is now called for.
The previous offer I received for the 2011 pro was for a downloaded version which I prefer these days as it gets you the software there and then and no boxes to throw out in a couple of years.
I do however think it's about time the price was adjusted accordingly for downloads as against boxed versions.  (No box, no shipping, no printed manual, no discount?)

$114.00 is expensive for an upgrade to my mind and $81.00 still looks expensive but I will have another look.
Thanks for replying.

Jinker

Nice Mr Roxio offered my an upgrade together with the video capture device at a price I couldn't resist so I'm now an upgrader.

Nice one and I'm fully up to date which is great.

Jinker




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users