#1 Mark Hicks

Mark Hicks

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:42 PM

Hi all

I've recently changed from a MiniDV camcorder to a HDD one (Sony HDR-XR160).

Of course, I used to Capture video using the Roxio Software but now I simply import the video from the camcorder to the PC. The utility that came with the camera to do this is PMB and this imported the files as MPGs (I'm using Standard Def at the moment). The files play smoothly in PMB and smoothly in Windows Media Player but when I add them to Videowave they judder when panning. I've had this problem in burned DVDs before so I made sure I had the Rendering set to Software but to no avail.

I also test burned the files using MyDVD to see if the juddering came out on the final copy - and it did.

My video card driver is up to date.

Can anyone help?

Mark

Dell XPS XPS_420
Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz 2.39 Ghz
2 GB of RAM
32 bit operating system
nVidia GeForce 8800
Mark Hicks

Dell XPS 8300
Intel Core processor i5-2310 CPU @2.9 Ghz
Windows 7 64bit SP1
12GB of RAM
1.5 TB HDD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti.

#2 gi7omy

gi7omy

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,033 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:57 PM

Your bottleneck is probably the RAM - 2 GB is the absolute MINIMUM that you can use for graphics and it needs all of it, so if you have any apps running in the background, you may have to shut them down.

Also, fragmentation of the hard drive is a possibility, along with a fragmented swapfile. The computer is going to have to hunt round the drive for files and this will produice chopiness.
If it ain't broke, fiddle with it until it breaks, then fiddle with it until you get it fixed

"Rincewind could scream for mercy in nineteen languages and just scream in another forty-four "

"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee; that will do them in."

“Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.” — Mitch Ratcliffe

Daithi

Home Brew computer
Intel I7 950 on Gigabyte X58A UD3R mobo
12 GB Three Channel DDRAM
Radeon HD4850 512 MB GDR3 graphics
Signalink USB Audio Codec for ham radio connection
1 x 160 GB, 1 x 330 GB, 1 x 400 GB IDE drives
4 x 250 GB SATA 2
LG HL-DT-ST GGW-H20L BD-RE drive
22" Acer P223W monitor

EMC 7.5 on Windows XP 32 SP3
EMC10 on Windows XP64 SP2
Creator 2011 on Windows 7 Ultimate
ECD6 on Gentoo Linux (running under VMWare)

#3 Mark Hicks

Mark Hicks

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:05 PM

View Postgi7omy, on 30 August 2011 - 01:57 PM, said:

Your bottleneck is probably the RAM - 2 GB is the absolute MINIMUM that you can use for graphics and it needs all of it, so if you have any apps running in the background, you may have to shut them down.

Also, fragmentation of the hard drive is a possibility, along with a fragmented swapfile. The computer is going to have to hunt round the drive for files and this will produice chopiness.

Thanks - would this explain why they play fine in Media Player?
Mark Hicks

Dell XPS 8300
Windows 7 64bit SP1
12GB of RAM
1.5 TB HDD

#4 gi7omy

gi7omy

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,033 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:10 PM

Playback is a lot less stressful on CPU and RAM than rendering. When you watch a movie you aren't actually doing anything to it - when you convert it to VOB (DVD playback format) it takes a lot of processing
If it ain't broke, fiddle with it until it breaks, then fiddle with it until you get it fixed

"Rincewind could scream for mercy in nineteen languages and just scream in another forty-four "

"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee; that will do them in."

“Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.” — Mitch Ratcliffe

Daithi

Home Brew computer
4 x 250 GB SATA 2
22" Acer P223W monitor

#5 Mark Hicks

Mark Hicks

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:12 PM

Thanks but does this explain why I don't get the same problem with my captured AVI files from my miniDV camcorder? Sorry to ask so many questions!
Mark Hicks

Dell XPS 8300
Windows 7 64bit SP1
12GB of RAM
1.5 TB HDD

#6 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,701 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:22 PM

View PostMark Hicks, on 30 August 2011 - 02:12 PM, said:

Thanks but does this explain why I don't get the same problem with my captured AVI files from my miniDV camcorder? Sorry to ask so many questions!

Since that is a hard disc camera, all you have to do is plug it into a USB port, your computer will see it as an external device and you can just copy the files to your computer.  No capture, no conversion, etc.

Was your miniDV camera high definition?  Are you now "filming"  high definition.  Your new camera may still be recoridng in a higher quality than the old camera.  (bit rate).

Have you updated the video drivers for that Dell from Dell? I see that there are about 21 different drivers so you'll have to find out what chipset you have and update the drivers for it.

Make sure you are doing NOTHING else when you are encoding and for the best performance, turn off the internet and shut down you anti-virus.  If it is running, it may be trying to scan every bit of information being writtent o your had drive.

Edited by sknis, 30 August 2011 - 02:29 PM.

PC  
Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin):  Windows 8.1 64 bit, I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#7 gi7omy

gi7omy

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,033 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:23 PM

I think you're confusing two different things here

When you view the clips, the source doesn't matter - it's just playback. When you render you need a lot more clout.

Videowave is an authoring app - it lets you edit the clips and convert them - hence the heavier CPU and RAM usage. Viewing them in Media Player or Cineplayer isn't doing that

Daithi

Home Brew computer
4 x 250 GB SATA 2
22" Acer P223W monitor

#8 gi7omy

gi7omy

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,033 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 04:37 AM

an addition to the previous post - check this KB article (I overlooked it) and see if anything there helps:

http://kb.roxio.com/...00071GN&PARAMS=

Daithi

Home Brew computer
4 x 250 GB SATA 2
22" Acer P223W monitor

#9 Mark Hicks

Mark Hicks

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:07 PM

Thanks all, I'm running a defrag and have ordered some more RAM so will let you know how I get on.
Mark Hicks

Dell XPS 8300
Windows 7 64bit SP1
12GB of RAM
1.5 TB HDD

#10 Mark Hicks

Mark Hicks

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:18 AM

OK, I ran a defrag and have now doubled the RAM to 4GB. I've disabled all my start up processes, deleted all my temp files, disconnected from the internet and disabled my firewall and anti virus software...to no effect.

Can anyone offer any more suggestions?
Mark Hicks

Dell XPS 8300
Windows 7 64bit SP1
12GB of RAM
1.5 TB HDD

#11 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,882 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:27 PM

View PostMark Hicks, on 01 September 2011 - 11:18 AM, said:

OK, I ran a defrag and have now doubled the RAM to 4GB. I've disabled all my start up processes, deleted all my temp files, disconnected from the internet and disabled my firewall and anti virus software...to no effect.

Can anyone offer any more suggestions?

Have you turned off all running programs while encoding?
Have you tried running in software mode (under File/tools/options)?
Have your tried burning first to a image (iso) file or a folder set and then burning those to a DVD?
Maybe you posted this info already but how long in time is your project? What quality setting are you using? Avoid Fit-to-disc.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#12 Mark Hicks

Mark Hicks

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:24 AM

View Postmyguggi, on 01 September 2011 - 02:27 PM, said:

Have you turned off all running programs while encoding?
Have you tried running in software mode (under File/tools/options)?
Have your tried burning first to a image (iso) file or a folder set and then burning those to a DVD?
Maybe you posted this info already but how long in time is your project? What quality setting are you using? Avoid Fit-to-disc.

Hi

Yes I have done all of the above but the choppy video actually appears in videowave and the finished DVD, not just the finished DVD. The project I first saw the issue on was an hour but even if I start a new project and add 15 secs of video to it from the new camera then I get the problem. The AVI files from the miniDV camcorder I had still work fine, the issue only appears with the M2TS files or MPG files I'm getting from the new folder. Are these likely to need even more RAM than 4GB?

Thanks for all your help
Mark Hicks

Dell XPS 8300
Windows 7 64bit SP1
12GB of RAM
1.5 TB HDD

#13 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,100 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:25 AM

View PostMark Hicks, on 02 September 2011 - 09:24 AM, said:

Hi

Yes I have done all of the above but the choppy video actually appears in videowave and the finished DVD, not just the finished DVD. The project I first saw the issue on was an hour but even if I start a new project and add 15 secs of video to it from the new camera then I get the problem. The AVI files from the miniDV camcorder I had still work fine, the issue only appears with the M2TS files or MPG files I'm getting from the new folder. Are these likely to need even more RAM than 4GB?

Thanks for all your help
RAM has NOTHING to do with it!

Look at my signature block, I run on PC's with 1.5 to 2 GB of RAM without any problems...
Posted Image

#14 Mark Hicks

Mark Hicks

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:03 PM

View PostJim_Hardin, on 02 September 2011 - 10:25 AM, said:

RAM has NOTHING to do with it!

Look at my signature block, I run on PC's with 1.5 to 2 GB of RAM without any problems...

Well thanks for confirming that Jim but now I'm out of ideas. I've done a clean uninstall and reinstall and followed all the advice that people on the forum have very kindly given me and nothing has worked. I've raised a ticket and as a consequence uninstalled, reinstalled, updated .NET framework and XML, all to no avail.

It's a real shame as I have worked with Roxio EMC since 2002 and been more than happy with it but I cannot seem to overcome this problem.

I'd appreciate any more advice anyone can give me but I think the next step might be finding some alternative software.
Mark Hicks

Dell XPS 8300
Windows 7 64bit SP1
12GB of RAM
1.5 TB HDD

#15 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,100 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 04:17 AM

But it keeps going back to the files you are using...

Give us a test clip!

Record 5 or 10 seconds with music or some steady audio in the background (ears pick up flaws better than eyes ;) )

Post it on a site like UpForDown or any other of your choosing and give us the link to download it.

You can see in my signature block, my PC's are nearly the same or Less than what you have...

One other thing you can try while getting that download for us, is to pass a couple of offending files through a video converter, like, Any Video Converter
HERE.

Output to a HD like mp4 or mpeg2 HD... Keep the quality but change the file a little and try it ;)
Posted Image

#16 Mark Hicks

Mark Hicks

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:55 PM

View PostJim_Hardin, on 03 September 2011 - 04:17 AM, said:

But it keeps going back to the files you are using...

Give us a test clip!

Record 5 or 10 seconds with music or some steady audio in the background (ears pick up flaws better than eyes ;) )

Post it on a site like UpForDown or any other of your choosing and give us the link to download it.

You can see in my signature block, my PC's are nearly the same or Less than what you have...

One other thing you can try while getting that download for us, is to pass a couple of offending files through a video converter, like, Any Video Converter
HERE.

Output to a HD like mp4 or mpeg2 HD... Keep the quality but change the file a little and try it ;)

OK, I've posted a clip with a long pan in it which highlights the problem beautifully:

http://www.upfordown...1289/Upload.mpg

Thanks Jim!!
Mark Hicks

Dell XPS 8300
Windows 7 64bit SP1
12GB of RAM
1.5 TB HDD

#17 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,701 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:08 PM

View PostMark Hicks, on 07 September 2011 - 01:55 PM, said:

OK, I've posted a clip with a long pan in it which highlights the problem beautifully:

Thanks Jim!!

I can tell that a lot of people are trying to help.  I've got high speed Internet and am still downloading at only 50kb/sec !:blink:

I have a question for you.  Did you connect your camcorder directly to you TV and watch that scene to see if it was in the original?

I see what you see.  I don't know if that juttrering is because of the camcorder or the program.

I have tried sevral things to get rid of it but I can't.  I am using Creator 2012.

I'm going to try doing some things with a different video editing program so I'll be back.

Edited by sknis, 07 September 2011 - 02:30 PM.

PC  
Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin):  Windows 8.1 64 bit, I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#18 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,701 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:37 PM

View Postsknis, on 07 September 2011 - 02:08 PM, said:

I can tell that a lot of people are trying to help.  I've got high speed Internet and am still downloading at only 50kb/sec !:blink:

I have a question for you.  Did you connect your camcorder directly to you TV and watch that scene to see if it was in the original?

I see what you see.  I don't know if that juttrering is because of the camcorder or the program.

I have tried sevral things to get rid of it but I can't.  I am using Creator 2012.

I'm going to try doing some things with a different video editing program so I'll be back.

In Creator 2012, I used the video stabilier and that did not help.  I used Video Copy and Convert and 'Any Video Converter"  to reconvert that video to the same quality mpg2 file and added thos to Video Wave and got no improvement.

I tried another Video Editing program;

OK that didn't take long.  I used a different video editing program and saw the same thing.  I used their video stabilier and it did no better than the Roxio video stabilizer.

Perhaps someone else has a different idea.
PC  

Apple =OSX 10.5

#19 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,701 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:45 PM

View Postsknis, on 07 September 2011 - 02:37 PM, said:

In Creator 2012, I used the video stabilier and that did not help.  I used Video Copy and Convert and 'Any Video Converter"  to reconvert that video to the same quality mpg2 file and added thos to Video Wave and got no improvement.

I tried another Video Editing program;

OK that didn't take long.  I used a different video editing program and saw the same thing.  I used their video stabilier and it did no better than the Roxio video stabilizer.

Perhaps someone else has a different idea.

One last thought and it doesn't eliminate the juttering but it is not quite as distracting.  I took the video and slowed it down to about 70% of full speed.   It looks better to me -- again it does NOT eliminate the problem.  You could do this for those sections where you don't mind losing the audio I did not play around with the speed settings.  Gte to the speed settings by selecting the video (section) and then selecting trim.  You will see a adjustment below the central preview.

Let us know if you want more directions to do this.

BTW (it threw me for a second;) I did not expect a PAL video):P

Also I tried playing the video in a couple of video players (actually 4 others) and it still had the juttering that you were talking about. I don't know why you are getting a good playback.

Edited by sknis, 07 September 2011 - 02:54 PM.

PC  

Apple =OSX 10.5

#20 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,882 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 04:25 PM

View PostMark Hicks, on 07 September 2011 - 01:55 PM, said:

Thanks Jim!!

Is that file you uploaded the original direct from the camcorder? If yes then I see the "juddering" in every one of 3 or 4 players I tried including WMP.

If not, then could you upload a original clip from the camcorder.

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition  SP3; Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users