• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dr Death

Dr Death

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:03 PM

I will try to be as thorough as possible here. I have a new Windows 7 home PC. Bought it in May of 2011. I have Roxio Burn on it and it has always worked great. I will record things to DVD-R, 4.7GB and always use the maximum of 2 hours... my DVD recorder actually will allow for 2 hours and 10 minutes of recording time.

Today, a friend called who was away from home and wanted me to record a 2 hour show for him, which I did. As this was a show I also wanted I was glad he called. Went to copy the disc after finalizing it in the DVD recorder and Roxio read and copied the disc, then prompted me to insert a DVD+R disc in to copy the program. This has never happened before and when I hit the "Help" button, it said it is always best to copy from one disc to another using the same type of disc. Yeah... I know this.

Why is it not reading that I am inserting a DVD-R and telling me to put in a DVD+? When I put a blank DVD-R in, it "reads" the disc and immediately ejects it. This has never happened before. I did a restart on the computer and that didn't change anything. I have a 100 pack of DVD-R's and don't really want to buy DVD+R's for one disc. FWIW these are Memorex DVD-R's.

Does anyone have any ideas on this or a work-around? Thanks for reading and any help.

#2 ogdens

ogdens

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,227 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:35 PM

View PostDr Death, on 23 September 2011 - 03:03 PM, said:

I will try to be as thorough as possible here. I have a new Windows 7 home PC. Bought it in May of 2011. I have Roxio Burn on it and it has always worked great. I will record things to DVD-R, 4.7GB and always use the maximum of 2 hours... my DVD recorder actually will allow for 2 hours and 10 minutes of recording time.

Today, a friend called who was away from home and wanted me to record a 2 hour show for him, which I did. As this was a show I also wanted I was glad he called. Went to copy the disc after finalizing it in the DVD recorder and Roxio read and copied the disc, then prompted me to insert a DVD+R disc in to copy the program. This has never happened before and when I hit the "Help" button, it said it is always best to copy from one disc to another using the same type of disc. Yeah... I know this.

Why is it not reading that I am inserting a DVD-R and telling me to put in a DVD+? When I put a blank DVD-R in, it "reads" the disc and immediately ejects it. This has never happened before. I did a restart on the computer and that didn't change anything. I have a 100 pack of DVD-R's and don't really want to buy DVD+R's for one disc. FWIW these are Memorex DVD-R's.

Does anyone have any ideas on this or a work-around? Thanks for reading and any help.

Memorex is held in very low regard among the burning community... Verbatim & Taiyo Yuden are what is recommended.

Try using some quality DVDs instead of the low quality Memorexs.

Get a couple and see if that makes a difference.

http://www.digitalfa...s/dvd-media.htm

Edited by ogdens, 23 September 2011 - 03:39 PM.

#3 Dr Death

Dr Death

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:40 PM

View Postogdens, on 23 September 2011 - 03:35 PM, said:

Memorex is held in very low regard among the burning community... Verbatim & Taiyo Yuden are what is recommended.

Try using some quality DVDs instead of the low quality Memorexs.

Get a couple and see if that makes a difference.

I appreciate the response. I just don't get why I haven't had this problem at all in 5 months and now, suddenly... it appears out of nowhere. I will check into a higher end DVD in the future, though that doesn't do me any good right now. Thanks for the tip though!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users