Roxio Community

How Do I Import Video From A Mini-Dv Camera Via The Standard Roxio Usb Cable?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wade1953

wade1953

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:05 AM

Hello to all...
I recently purchased Video Lab HD as a means to capture and edit both standard def footage from my Panasonic AG DVC-30 as well as footage captured from my newer (non tape based video cameras that capture on SDHC cards).

I have hooked up to my computer via the standard Roxio USB gadget that comes with Creator 2010-2011.  When I check the drop down menu that should display the option for Roxio USB import.... it doesn't seem to be recognizing that USB cable as even an import option!

So, my  question is:  CAN I IMPORT DIGITAL VIDEO VIA THE ROXIO USB IMPORT CABLE  (THAT COMES WITH CREATOR 2011) TO IMPORT VIDEO INTO VIDEO LAB HD? CURRENTLY, I CAN'T GET THE VIDEO LAB SOFWARE( WHILE IN THE ROXIO MEDIA  CAPTURE SCREEN) TO EVEN RECOGNIZE THE USB CONNECTION!!  HELP!  

THANKS... WADE

#2 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,308 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:27 PM

As far as I know :huh:

But keep this in mind...

The Roxio USB Capture device will only work with a Composite Video Signal!!! (or S-Video ;))

You newer ??? camcorder that records on SD Card is NEVER captured by anything! You simply copy the files from the Card to your PC and use them in your Project.

It would be a great disservice to capture in SD the fine HD recordings from you new camcorder.

If that does help, then spell out just what you are doing, in detail ;)
Posted Image

#3 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,345 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:12 PM

View Postwade1953, on 30 September 2011 - 10:05 AM, said:

Hello to all...
I recently purchased Video Lab HD as a means to capture and edit both standard def footage from my Panasonic AG DVC-30 as well as footage captured from my newer (non tape based video cameras that capture on SDHC cards).

I have hooked up to my computer via the standard Roxio USB gadget that comes with Creator 2010-2011.  When I check the drop down menu that should display the option for Roxio USB import.... it doesn't seem to be recognizing that USB cable as even an import option!

So, my  question is:  CAN I IMPORT DIGITAL VIDEO VIA THE ROXIO USB IMPORT CABLE  (THAT COMES WITH CREATOR 2011) TO IMPORT VIDEO INTO VIDEO LAB HD? CURRENTLY, I CAN'T GET THE VIDEO LAB SOFWARE( WHILE IN THE ROXIO MEDIA  CAPTURE SCREEN) TO EVEN RECOGNIZE THE USB CONNECTION!!  HELP!  

THANKS... WADE

For you miniDV tape video camera, you need to capture via a firewire cable, not the USB device.
Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971

Main System:
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard; Cooler Master ATCS 840 Case
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
PLEXTOR Black DVD Burner, Model PX-880SA; Pioneer Black 8X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R Burner
EVGA GEFORCE GTX 670 2GB Video Card
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series Sound Card
Windows XP Pro w/SP3

Backup Computer:
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Windows 7 Pro w/SP1

#4 wade1953

wade1953

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 05:21 PM

Yes, I know if I am importing from an SDHC card I am not "capturing".  The point isn't the new HD tapeless camera.  The point is that I can't seem to import from my tape based MiniDV camera utilizing the Roxio USB adaptor with VideoLab HD.  I can't import using a direct firewire because I am using a brand new Dell XPS system (with quad core i-7 processing and  8GB RAM) - and it does not HAVE an IEEE port .... just so we're clear about that as well.  The issue remains that the Video Lab HD software doesn't appear to recognize the USB Capture device when I am trying to import an S-Video or Composite signal.

Any ideas why Video Lab won't recognize a Composite Video Signal through the Roxio USB adaptor?  Is it possible that the VideoLab HD software will only recognize cards and I CAN'T import via USB?

#5 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,308 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 02:53 AM

Thanks for clearing that up!

First thing is a driver check.

Win-Pause ~ Device Manager:

Attached File  win_pause.jpg   21.27K   0 downloads Attached File  Win-Pause Device Mgr.jpg   133.53K   0 downloads

Then compare the entries in Sound Video and Game Controllers:

Attached File  Before & After Win7.jpg   167.93K   0 downloads

If these 2 entries are not present it will never work! :huh:
Posted Image

#6 Guest_wade stevens_*

Guest_wade stevens_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2011 - 07:06 AM

Thanks, Jim.  I will check the driver and sound video and game controller entries.  Would never have known in a million years to do that.

Appreciate your follow-up.  I will run those checks and get back to you later today!

WADE

#7 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,308 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 07:29 AM

Great!

Just in case One or Both are missing, they can be added by running THIS download ;) (don't use it if you don't need it :huh: )
Posted Image

#8 wade1953

wade1953

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 10:22 PM

Jim:

Will do.  Thanks so much for the illustrations.  I will let you know what I find out as soon as I run your checks.  The illustrations are greatly appreciated - THANK YOU for taking the time to create them...
WADE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users