Jump to content

Roxio Community

Fail To Setup System Components


  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 pc1109

pc1109

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:27 PM

Installed Roxio Creator 2012 Pro on a new pc and video capture worked fine until after I installed the applications from disc 2.
I can connect my camcorder via firewire wiht no problem.
The error occurs if I use an ADVC 110 video convertor.

Now I get  a "failed to setup system components for showing pictures or sound." error every time.
Error Details show the following:
Template manager returned an error
Failed to detect which capture qualities are available for this device

I did a repair install and the error is still there for the ADVC 110.

#2 cdanteek

cdanteek

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,430 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Prairie Rapids Crossing.

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:32 PM

View Postpc1109, on 16 October 2011 - 02:27 PM, said:

Installed Roxio Creator 2012 Pro on a new pc and video capture worked fine until after I installed the applications from disc 2.
I can connect my camcorder via firewire wiht no problem.
The error occurs if I use an ADVC 110 video convertor.

Now I get  a "failed to setup system components for showing pictures or sound." error every time.
Error Details show the following:
Template manager returned an error
Failed to detect which capture qualities are available for this device

I did a repair install and the error is still there for the ADVC 110.

What makes you think Roxio C2012 will work with the ADVC 110 video converter?
cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Computer Specs click show.
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
3.Click here CD-DVD Speed
4.Click here CD-DVD Speed - A user guide
5.Click here Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x.
6.Click hereYou can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
8.Click here  How to uninstall IE 7 and WMP 11.
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
11.Click here   Complete Uninstall of Creator 2011 & Creator 2012
12.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows Vista and 7)
13.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows XP)
14.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 9 & 10 on Windows Vista  
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility
17. Click here Finding Your Computer Specs And Roxio Software Version Number.

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

Do not post your email address on any public forum!  

#3 lonepine

lonepine

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:20 AM

View Postpc1109, on 16 October 2011 - 02:27 PM, said:

Installed Roxio Creator 2012 Pro on a new pc and video capture worked fine until after I installed the applications from disc 2.
I can connect my camcorder via firewire wiht no problem.
The error occurs if I use an ADVC 110 video convertor.

Now I get  a "failed to setup system components for showing pictures or sound." error every time.
Error Details show the following:
Template manager returned an error
Failed to detect which capture qualities are available for this device

I did a repair install and the error is still there for the ADVC 110.

I had the same problem with Creator 2011 using the ADVC 110. I was told that I needed a compatible driver for it. This is (politely speaking) nonsense. The ADVC 110 is an external DV digitizer. It supplies a digitized video stream like any DV camera and is ADV compliant. All that is required is the Windows DirectShow driver which is part of the default Windows installation for 1394 firewire ports. Roxio's capture stuff simply doesn't work. Their USB capture device doesn't even work with their own software. At least in the 2011 version you could generate a file but it 2012 it doesn't work at all. In 2011, you got a file but no time code therefor the audio does not synch. I was told by sales that these problems were resolved in 2012. They're not. Aside from being misinformed, Roxio support has not responded to my requests for explanation. My advice is to use Windows MovieMaker which is free with the Windows Live suite. It works fine and its free. You can also use a number of free Open Source tools such as WinDV, VirtualDub or the VLC Player Tool. I do not recommend using Roxio software if you need to capture video from an external source.

#4 jonatsonic

jonatsonic

    Digital Master

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Santa Calara, CA
  • Interests:I am the Community and Content Manager at Roxio. I'm not necessarily a tech, but can help you resolve issues, offer advice, and any suggestions for new KB articles are welcome.

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:42 AM

View Postlonepine, on 28 October 2011 - 11:20 AM, said:

I had the same problem with Creator 2011 using the ADVC 110. I was told that I needed a compatible driver for it. This is (politely speaking) nonsense. The ADVC 110 is an external DV digitizer. It supplies a digitized video stream like any DV camera and is ADV compliant. All that is required is the Windows DirectShow driver which is part of the default Windows installation for 1394 firewire ports. Roxio's capture stuff simply doesn't work. Their USB capture device doesn't even work with their own software. At least in the 2011 version you could generate a file but it 2012 it doesn't work at all. In 2011, you got a file but no time code therefor the audio does not synch. I was told by sales that these problems were resolved in 2012. They're not. Aside from being misinformed, Roxio support has not responded to my requests for explanation. My advice is to use Windows MovieMaker which is free with the Windows Live suite. It works fine and its free. You can also use a number of free Open Source tools such as WinDV, VirtualDub or the VLC Player Tool. I do not recommend using Roxio software if you need to capture video from an external source.

Hi Lonepine

I'd have to double check on the ADVC 110 and compatibility, but the other reasons you cited as issues have other variables besides just the software as I have used it quite a few times in my testing on "dirty" and "clean" systems.

If you installed 2012 over 2011, then you may want to consider removing both and reinstalling 2012 after reading this: http://kb.roxio.com/...ontent/000080GN

I know what timecode is (I'm sure you mean something other than SMPTE, LTC, or VTC), but not sure what you mean exactly in this case. Audio mis-sync can happen for a lot of reasons: from processor/RAM usage and speed (regardless how fast or how much you have) being used by other apps and transfers, to project discrepancies of frame rate, sample rate, and resolution.

As for the bad service, I can help on that. let me know what ticket number you have and I can look into it.

Thanks,

Jon

#5 lonepine

lonepine

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:07 PM

View Postjonatsonic, on 28 October 2011 - 11:42 AM, said:

Hi Lonepine

I'd have to double check on the ADVC 110 and compatibility, but the other reasons you cited as issues have other variables besides just the software as I have used it quite a few times in my testing on "dirty" and "clean" systems.

If you installed 2012 over 2011, then you may want to consider removing both and reinstalling 2012 after reading this: http://kb.roxio.com/...ontent/000080GN

I know what timecode is (I'm sure you mean something other than SMPTE, LTC, or VTC), but not sure what you mean exactly in this case. Audio mis-sync can happen for a lot of reasons: from processor/RAM usage and speed (regardless how fast or how much you have) being used by other apps and transfers, to project discrepancies of frame rate, sample rate, and resolution.

As for the bad service, I can help on that. let me know what ticket number you have and I can look into it.

Thanks,

Jon


Ok. Thanks for responding! Now we have someone's attention. The ticket is 1162667. It pretty much says what I spelled out above.

Time code refers to the SMPTE family used as a standard in the video and motion picture industry. WMM and Open source capture tools have no problem with synch. The computer is a Dell Precision 4500 running Win7-32 with 4GB ram and a dual quad-core i7. Tons of high-speed disc space. Only core infrastructure apps running. If it can't run on this, it can't run anywhere.

For specs on the Canopus and related products see http://www.grassvall...roducts/advc110

The default Windows 1394 driver and DirectShow codec are all that are needed to capture the stream from this device. How hard can it be?

OK. I will go through the whole uninstall thing but the USB capture update installer is currently crashing. Hope that's not a problem.

#6 jonatsonic

jonatsonic

    Digital Master

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Santa Calara, CA
  • Interests:I am the Community and Content Manager at Roxio. I'm not necessarily a tech, but can help you resolve issues, offer advice, and any suggestions for new KB articles are welcome.

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:20 PM

View Postlonepine, on 28 October 2011 - 12:07 PM, said:

Ok. Thanks for responding! Now we have someone's attention. The ticket is 1162667. It pretty much says what I spelled out above.

Time code refers to the SMPTE family used as a standard in the video and motion picture industry. WMM and Open source capture tools have no problem with synch. The computer is a Dell Precision 4500 running Win7-32 with 4GB ram and a dual quad-core i7. Tons of high-speed disc space. Only core infrastructure apps running. If it can't run on this, it can't run anywhere.

For specs on the Canopus and related products see http://www.grassvall...roducts/advc110

The default Windows 1394 driver and DirectShow codec are all that are needed to capture the stream from this device. How hard can it be?

OK. I will go through the whole uninstall thing but the USB capture update installer is currently crashing. Hope that's not a problem.

Ah, good someone who understands SMPTE ;)  If you ever had to work with LTC back in the day, I'm sure you shed some tears  in front of a couple of square little monitors as well.

As for the issue at hand, I'll take a look, but have to verify the Canopus device. Some manufacturers have hardware in their A/D's that add header info or other data bits that can throw off successful captures or file compatibility. I'm not staying that is what is happening here, but it has happened. Generally, this is for their own proprietary video/audio software for certain features such as EDLs. Additionally, sometimes those audio/video programs can have codec conflicts with other similar apps - Roxio included.

I'll check out your ticket and see what other team member's feedback is.

Jon

#7 lonepine

lonepine

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:40 PM

View Postjonatsonic, on 28 October 2011 - 12:20 PM, said:

Ah, good someone who understands SMPTE ;)  If you ever had to work with LTC back in the day, I'm sure you shed some tears  in front of a couple of square little monitors as well.

As for the issue at hand, I'll take a look, but have to verify the Canopus device. Some manufacturers have hardware in their A/D's that add header info or other data bits that can throw off successful captures or file compatibility. I'm not staying that is what is happening here, but it has happened. Generally, this is for their own proprietary video/audio software for certain features such as EDLs. Additionally, sometimes those audio/video programs can have codec conflicts with other similar apps - Roxio included.

I'll check out your ticket and see what other team member's feedback is.

Jon
Thanks Jon. But this component is a standalone hardware digitizer that uses no software. It relies totally on the host computer's default capture interface and codecs. It is used by at least 10s of thousands of video enthusiasts world wide as it works with Mac, -nix, and Windows computers using Windows MovieMaker or a half-dozen Open Source video capture tools. The big advantage is that it is a real time digitizer the puts no demand on the host. The problem is that there is no reasonably priced editing app other than Windows MovieMaker (on Windows) in which to immediately edit captured clips. It would seem that this would be a perfect opportunity to boost the sales of Creator. It is just really frustrating that such a simple and obvious interface doesn't seem to be supported.

#8 lonepine

lonepine

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:58 PM

After removing all Roxio and Divx components, I have now done a clean install of Creator 2012. The results are the same as before. I even tried different USB ports.

1) I get preview and sound from composite video but get the 'unknown capture error' when I try to save to file.
2) I get sound but no video from s-vid and the 'unknown capture error' when I try to save to file.
3) I get the 'setup failed' error when I try to connect to ADV 110.

Everything still works fine with WMM.

#9 cdanteek

cdanteek

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,430 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Prairie Rapids Crossing.

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:58 AM

Quote

Their USB capture device doesn't even work with their own software. At least in the 2011 version you could generate a file but it 2012 it doesn't work at all.

I have no problem capturing with the Roxio USB Capture Device with C2010, C2011, or C2012..

Most of the folks here would help you get that working, if interested? :unsure:
cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Computer Specs click show.
Spoiler

1.Click here   Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site  dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.  
3.Click here CD-DVD Speed
4.Click here CD-DVD Speed - A user guide
5.Click here Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x.
6.Click hereYou can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up  PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here  PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
8.Click here  How to uninstall IE 7 and WMP 11.
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB)  CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool  (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
11.Click here   Complete Uninstall of Creator 2011 & Creator 2012
12.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows Vista and 7)
13.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows XP)
14.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 9 & 10 on Windows Vista  
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5,  8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <>  Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility   Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility
17. Click here Finding Your Computer Specs And Roxio Software Version Number.

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

Do not post your email address on any public forum!  

#10 sknis

sknis

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,694 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hou,Tx

Posted 29 October 2011 - 06:51 AM

View Postcdanteek, on 29 October 2011 - 05:58 AM, said:

I have no problem capturing with the Roxio USB Capture Device with C2010, C2011, or C2012..

Most of the folks here would help you get that working, if interested? :unsure:

Ditto; no problems at all with the Roxio USB device.  

lonepine  :Do you have the Roxio USB capture device to try?  

Why don't you capture with the ADVC 110's software?  What point are you trying to make other than not all devices work with Creator software?   We know that a long time ago when Pinnacle's devices were changed and they did npot want to update drivers.

That device is powered by the firewire port.  Do you have another port on the computer to try?  Are you using a 6 pin connector cable?    It would not be an issue with the camcorder since you did not use that device.  They do sell a separate power supply.  Perhaps you can get one to try out and return it if it doesn't help.

EDIT:  I looked at the specs for your computer and it only has a 4 pin 1394 port. ( See ports below)  .  That means that you will need the optinal power supply.  I doubt that a 6 pin to 4 pin connector would do anyhitng.

Mag Chassis:

Dell Precision industrial design

Weight3
& Dimensions:

Weight starting at: 6.0lbs/2.73kg with HD panel, DVD-ROM, 6-cell battery

Width: 14.72"/374mm

Depth: 9.96"/253mm

Height: 1.15"/29.1mm(F), 1.42"/36.1mm(

Ports:

1394 4-pin, USB 2.0 (x4), VGA, Display Port, RJ-45, Audio, eSATA




Also the site says that it is compatible with: <LI>Compatible with leading editing and DVD authoring applications including Grass Valley™ EDIUS®, Sony Vegas, Apple Final Cut Pro and iMovie, Avid Xpress DV and Liquid, Adobe Premiere Pro, Ulead MediaStudio Pro, and Windows Movie Maker

It is slient about things like Cyberlink , Nero and Roxio anong others.

Edited by sknis, 29 October 2011 - 07:25 AM.

PC  
Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin):  Windows 8.1 64 bit, I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#11 lonepine

lonepine

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 03:05 PM

View Postsknis, on 29 October 2011 - 06:51 AM, said:

Ditto; no problems at all with the Roxio USB device.  

lonepine  :Do you have the Roxio USB capture device to try?  

Why don't you capture with the ADVC 110's software?  What point are you trying to make other than not all devices work with Creator software?   We know that a long time ago when Pinnacle's devices were changed and they did npot want to update drivers.

That device is powered by the firewire port.  Do you have another port on the computer to try?  Are you using a 6 pin connector cable?    It would not be an issue with the camcorder since you did not use that device.  They do sell a separate power supply.  Perhaps you can get one to try out and return it if it doesn't help.

EDIT:  I looked at the specs for your computer and it only has a 4 pin 1394 port. ( See ports below)  .  That means that you will need the optinal power supply.  I doubt that a 6 pin to 4 pin connector would do anyhitng.

Mag Chassis:

Dell Precision industrial design

Weight3
& Dimensions:

Weight starting at: 6.0lbs/2.73kg with HD panel, DVD-ROM, 6-cell battery

Width: 14.72"/374mm

Depth: 9.96"/253mm

Height: 1.15"/29.1mm(F), 1.42"/36.1mm(

Ports:

1394 4-pin, USB 2.0 (x4), VGA, Display Port, RJ-45, Audio, eSATA




Also the site says that it is compatible with: <LI>Compatible with leading editing and DVD authoring applications including Grass Valley™ EDIUS®, Sony Vegas, Apple Final Cut Pro and iMovie, Avid Xpress DV and Liquid, Adobe Premiere Pro, Ulead MediaStudio Pro, and Windows Movie Maker

It is slient about things like Cyberlink , Nero and Roxio anong others.

Thanks for the detail.

Yes I am trying to use the Roxio USB device. I got it with Creator 2011. With the exception of the audio synch problem it sorta worked with 2011. After installing the upgrade to 2012, however, I get nothing but errors. I have never been able to use this thing productively.

Re: ADV DV 110, I will investigate the 1394 cable issue. However, the ADV DV 110 is fully self powered and does not have software or require device specific drivers. It is ADV Compliant. It just supplies a stream via the host firewire driver and in the case of Windows uses the DirectShow codec. As I said above, I can capture the stream with WMM or a variety of primitive Open Source tools and maintain audio synch, no problem. If a group of Open Source hackers can do this without a glitch, why not Sonic/Roxio? Is there some sort of licensing war going on here behind the scenes?

I have used Adaptec/Roxio software for years to burn CD/DVD data discs and perform other disc related functions. It always worked reliably without a hitch which is why I have gone down this road. But with video, that is not the case. Perhaps the problem is that Creator is just a consumer entertainment product and I am expecting too much; or perhaps Roxio's marketing specification are not, well, specific enough. Customer service is certainly not well informed.

#12 sknis

sknis

    Digital Guru

  • Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,694 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hou,Tx

Posted 31 October 2011 - 05:06 AM

Unless you are doing more than you are telling us about, then the product is exactly what a pro-sumer is supposed to do.  I have more and less expensive video editing programs on my computer and they all have the same features.  
I do not have any multi-hundred dollar programs since I am not going to do any professional work.

I just heard a talk about producing some historical information for a Historaical Society.  They spent thousands of dollars on camers, audio equipment and on HD software.  They used  "Adobe After Effects"  for Windows.  I think the prices is just around $1000.

Yes, please check out what I posted about the six pin connector required if you are using a 4 pin connector.   Please let us know.
PC  
Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin):  Windows 8.1 64 bit, I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I-7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users