• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

mikednyc

No Audio With Vhs To Dvd On Computer

Question

Hi, Just installed VHS to DVD. Connected VCR (Camcorder, actually. a Panasonic Digital Video Camcorder). Opened Record DVD program. Hit play on Camcorder. Can see video and can hear audio coming from the camcorder. Can see video on computer screen -- but there is no audio coming out of my computer speakers. The adjust volume slider on VHS to DVD Program appears to work in that I can see the volume bars, and they're moving in sync with the sound I can hear from the Camcorder. But there's no volume on the computer, and therefore I assume no volume will be on the DVD. I aborted the project for now till I get help. Volume for all other media is fine on computer. I am running WinXP SP3. Can you please help? Thank you!

Edited by mikednyc

22 answers to this question

Sorry for delay. To reply, My CD player works fine. My DVD Player works find. I don't have TV.

How I am hooked up?: The VCR Camera is connected to VHS to DVD via that S-cable that has the four pins. Does that help you answer my question? Thanks for picking up on this query!

Sorry for delay. To reply, My CD player works fine. My DVD Player works find. I don't have TV.

How I am hooked up?: The VCR Camera is connected to VHS to DVD via that S-cable that has the four pins. Does that help you answer my question? Thanks for picking up on this query!

That S-cable only supplies the video, you also have to connect the red-white audio cables.

That S-cable only supplies the video, you also have to connect the red-white audio cables.

Bingo!!! :lol:

Give that a try and let us know what happens ;)

Yes, Walt has the answer. Try that and see what happens. :lol:

That is a problem because the camera/vcr does NOT have such outputs. It has only the output I emntion above and a UBS output. There are no separate outputs for the audio cords.

(And I cannot connect directly via the UBS Cable because the camcorder (Panasonic) does not support WIN XP with drivers and the built-in WIN XP Drivers do not support this Panasoic Camcorder).

Please help!

That is a problem because the camera/vcr does NOT have such outputs. It has only the output I emntion above and a UBS output. There are no separate outputs for the audio cords.

(And I cannot connect directly via the UBS Cable because the camcorder (Panasonic) does not support WIN XP with drivers and the built-in WIN XP Drivers do not support this Panasoic Camcorder).

Please help!

The camcorder must have audio outputs if it has a S connection otherwise you would never hear any audio.

What is the model number of that Panasonic camcorder.

We may havegotten off track ! The device is capturing the audio but the OP is not hearing it on his speakers. That is what I read.

"Can see video on computer screen -- but there is no audio coming out of my computer speakers. The adjust volume slider on VHS to DVD Program appears to work in that I can see the volume bars, and they're moving in sync with the sound I can hear from the Camcorder"

Hearing audio out of your speakers while you are capturing is dependent on your audio (sound) card/chip. I image you have somehting like a SIgmaTel audio chip. You would need a real sound card to hear what you are capturing. Many people like Creator Sound Blaster type cards.

There is a work around to connect a jumper from the audio card/chip's output to the input.

Never burn directly to disc. Always capture to your computer so you can preview it before wasting a disc.

Edited by sknis

We may havegotten off track ! The device is capturing the audio but the OP is not hearing it on his speakers. That is what I read.

"Can see video on computer screen -- but there is no audio coming out of my computer speakers. The adjust volume slider on VHS to DVD Program appears to work in that I can see the volume bars, and they're moving in sync with the sound I can hear from the Camcorder"

Hearing audio out of your speakers while you are capturing is dependent on your audio (sound) card/chip. I image you have somehting like a SIgmaTel audio chip. You would need a real sound card to hear what you are capturing. Many people like Creator Sound Blaster type cards.

There is a work around to connect a jumper from the audio card/chip's output to the input.

Never burn directly to disc. Always capture to your computer so you can preview it before wasting a disc.

How can he get any audio if he uses a S-cable connection? Unless he left out some more details on how he is connected in his posts.

How can he get any audio if he uses a S-cable connection? Unless he left out some more details on how he is connected in his posts.

If he is using a laptop, it may have a built in mic and he is recording what is coming out of the camcorder? I don't know but that could be one explanation -- or he has the camcorder hooked up right.

If he is seeing the recording meters bounccing, somethign is going on.

Perhaps he can play one of the recorded files with the free VLC to see if he is really getting some audio?

Wow, you folks are on it! To clarify, I had the VHS to DVD device connected to my Dell Inspiron Computer (WIN XP) via the S-Cable. I felt I had to do it this way because the camcorder has no audio and video outputs.

To MYGUGGI:

1. The sound I heard was coming from the camcorder/VHS ... no sound was coming from the computer.

2. The camcorder model is Panasonic Model PV-DV203. It DOES NOT have audio and video outlets. The ONLY two outlets on this camcorder are the S-Cable and a USB cable.

3. Confession: I saw the volume bars work once but I could not get them to work again. Perhaps I saw them when experimenting with a program other than Burn to Disc. I cannot recall. But bottom line is, no bars when I attempt to copy to disc..

To SKNIS:

1. Re: "Never burn directly to disc. Always capture to your computer so you can preview it before wasting a disc." I did not locate a capability on the VHS to DVD device to capture directly to hard drive. I believe I read the manual thoroughly. I could be missing something ...

2. Great call by you. Just checked and my computer's sound recording and playback default device is SigmaTel C-Major Audio.

Full disclosure: Today I returned the VHS to DVD device to Best Buy (my 30-day limit would be up tomorrow). I would gladly re-purchase the device if the experts here can help me get it to work. I have tapes I need converted to disc. I appreciate the effort and expertise you all are putting into this. Thank you!

Wow, you folks are on it! To clarify, I had the VHS to DVD device connected to my Dell Inspiron Computer (WIN XP) via the S-Cable. I felt I had to do it this way because the camcorder has no audio and video outputs.

To MYGUGGI:

1. The sound I heard was coming from the camcorder/VHS ... no sound was coming from the computer.

2. The camcorder model is Panasonic Model PV-DV203. It DOES NOT have audio and video outlets. The ONLY two outlets on this camcorder are the S-Cable and a USB cable.

3. Confession: I saw the volume bars work once but I could not get them to work again. Perhaps I saw them when experimenting with a program other than Burn to Disc. I cannot recall. But bottom line is, no bars when I attempt to copy to disc..

To SKNIS:

1. Re: "Never burn directly to disc. Always capture to your computer so you can preview it before wasting a disc." I did not locate a capability on the VHS to DVD device to capture directly to hard drive. I believe I read the manual thoroughly. I could be missing something ...

2. Great call by you. Just checked and my computer's sound recording and playback default device is SigmaTel C-Major Audio.

Full disclosure: Today I returned the VHS to DVD device to Best Buy (my 30-day limit would be up tomorrow). I would gladly re-purchase the device if the experts here can help me get it to work. I have tapes I need converted to disc. I appreciate the effort and expertise you all are putting into this. Thank you!

The camcorder you specified of course has audio/video outlets other wise how could you play it back at all. According to the specs it has several connections;

• Connector Type 1.0 x IEEE 1394 (FireWire/i.LINK),
    1.0 x DC power input,
    1.0 x Composite video/audio output,
    1.0 x S-Video output,
    1.0 x Headphones,
    1.0 x USB

Since it is a digital camcorder it should be connected using the Firewire link. The S-video should also work if you were to connect the audio cables from the composite output.

The instructions for connecting the Video & Audio were on Page 47 of the User Manual.

post-68-007942500 1320232389.png

Yet again, I am impressed by your know-how!

MYGUGGI: You are right! There IS an a/v out port on the camcorder. It was hidden under a separate little flap, not the obvious flap under which are the Mcard, the USB outlet and the firewire out. I didn't recognize that that little flap was indeed a flap and not part of the camera base. Kudos to you--and thanks!

RE: "Since it is a digital camcorder it should be connected using the Firewire link. The S-video should also work if you were to connect the audio cables from the composite output." Since my computer does not have a Firewire link (at least not that I KNOW OF; and the specs do not say one exists), I will try connecting via the S-Video and A/V cables as you suggest.

OGDENS: Thank you for pointing me to the diagram. I totally missed it while reading the manual, perhaps because the heading of the page and section is "Editing Features" and I never got that far in this project--but that's no excuse. You folks are sharp!

Thanks to your expert input I am now confident that I can copy my tapes to disc, and later today I will head back to Best Buy to re-purchase the Roxio VHS to DVD device and begin my project anew.

Again, thanks to all of you! I will post to let you know how it all comes out.

Edited by mikednyc

Hi, Digital: It's a Dell Inspiron 6000.

I checked a couple of places and that computer SHOULD have one firewire port, It should be right here:

post-58-056770500 1320357698.jpg

Edited by sknis

Easy to check, press Win-Pause:

post-39730-029812700 1320404382.jpg

Then look in Device Manager:

post-39730-074427100 1320404399.jpg

It will show if you have one! ;)

Actually, with XP, you can even capture with the Firewire using Windows Movie Maker :huh:

Try that out and let us know.

Easy to check, press Win-Pause:

post-39730-029812700 1320404382.jpg

Then look in Device Manager:

post-39730-074427100 1320404399.jpg

It will show if you have one! ;)

Actually, with XP, you can even capture with the Firewire using Windows Movie Maker :huh:

Try that out and let us know.

Again, I am amazed by your expertise. You guys know everything!

TO JIM HARDIN: I just checked, and, yes, this laptop has an IEEE 1394 Bus host controller. One slight difference from the diagram you show: mine reads "OHCI Compliant IEEE Host Controller," while in your diagram it reada "VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE Host Controller."

Do you think that "VIA" makes any difference?

PS -- I just purchased a 4-pin to 4-pin DV Interface Cable (i.link). The camcorder manual says 6-to-4 pin cable but looking at the female outlets of both the camera and the laptop I see 4-pin openeings. I hope that is right.

I checked a couple of places and that computer SHOULD have one firewire port, It should be right here:

Excellent advice! Thank you! Just FYI, I started this project MONTHS AGO on my desktop, a Dell Dimension 830. It's there that I looked hard for a firewire port and did not find one. Using JIM HARDIN's method, I think the desktop does indeed not have a firewire port.

Again, I am amazed by your expertise. You guys know everything!

TO JIM HARDIN: I just checked, and, yes, this laptop has an IEEE 1394 Bus host controller. One slight difference from the diagram you show: mine reads "OHCI Compliant IEEE Host Controller," while in your diagram it reada "VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE Host Controller."

Do you think that "VIA" makes any difference?

PS -- I just purchased a 4-pin to 4-pin DV Interface Cable (i.link). The camcorder manual says 6-to-4 pin cable but looking at the female outlets of both the camera and the laptop I see 4-pin openeings. I hope that is right.

GREAT! The Windows terminology will vary from OS to OS and I don't recall what OS that screen cap was from :lol:

Point is, you do have one!!!

4 pin to 4 pin is correct for what you have. Your manual assumed a Desktop, which are nearly always a 6 pin, hence the "6-to-4 pin" it mentioned.

Now you need to decide what to do... You took back the V2D software & device. You don't need the 'device' to capture with, but all you have will be Windows Movie Maker to edit & burn with.

That will be fine for many users but you might consider moving up to one of the Roxio 2012 Suites for a real Editor and Authoring program ;) The V2D program is quite limited but maybe a combination of WMM & V2D might be what you need for now.

GREAT! The Windows terminology will vary from OS to OS and I don't recall what OS that screen cap was from :lol:

Point is, you do have one!!!

4 pin to 4 pin is correct for what you have. Your manual assumed a Desktop, which are nearly always a 6 pin, hence the "6-to-4 pin" it mentioned.

Now you need to decide what to do... You took back the V2D software & device. You don't need the 'device' to capture with, but all you have will be Windows Movie Maker to edit & burn with.

That will be fine for many users but you might consider moving up to one of the Roxio 2012 Suites for a real Editor and Authoring program ;) The V2D program is quite limited but maybe a combination of WMM & V2D might be what you need for now.

To: JIM HARDIN; Interestingly, minutes before I saw your post about the fire wall, I had gone on ebay and bought the Roxio VHS to DVD device, once again. ($48, compared to $68 at Best Buy.) So I have it coming in the mail soon. So I will end up with WMM & V2D. If nothing else, I can always use the V2D to convert some of my beloved music albums to digital files. Again, thanks for the help!