5 replies to this topic

#1 lonepine

lonepine

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:43 AM

About a year ago I purchased Creator 2011 Pro with the USB Video attachement. The capture device worked with Composite and S-Vid but the resulting capture had no audio synch. Audio synch was lost after about 30 seconds. I considered this to be completely useless. I then purchased a Canopus ADVC-110 for video capture. The Canopus works great via firewire/DirectShow and either Windows MovieMaker or Open Source capture software but not with Creator. The Canopus product is an ADV DV compliant external hardware digitizer. All it does is pass a DV stream to the computer. While WMM captures video without a problem, Creator 2011 Pro could not recognize the device at all. I finally gave up on using Creator for any video projects.

Recently I chatted with Roxio customer service ("sales"). They assured me that Creator 2012 Pro would work fine with the Canopus. They also assured me that due to bug fixes, the time synch problem was no longer an issue with the USB capture device. I went ahead and upgraded Creator 2011 to 2012. The results are appalling. The USB capture device does not work at all. It only recognizes Composite video and fails to capture a single frame with the error "An unknown capture error occurred." The capture status reports "no signal" after the capture button is pushed, even though it is playing in the preview window and no data is recorded. When I trying to use the Canopus via firewire, Creator immediate throws the error "Failed to setup system components for picture or sound." I ran the driver update that was posted but that failed to install and crashed.

After being assured that this stuff would work flawlessly in 2012 I am extremely dissatisfied not only with the performance of this product but also with the misinformation that I received from your customer service. I can record video from the Canopus to file via Windows MovieMaker, WinDV, VirtualDub and VLC Player no problem. But not from the Roxio capture software, not even from the Roxio USB capture device. I thought I was paying Roxio for something more. So far, Roxio technical support has not provided any information. In fact, as of this posting have not responded at all.

Can anyone provide a credible reason for not demanding a refund?

#2 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,203 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:52 AM

View Postlonepine, on 28 October 2011 - 11:43 AM, said:

About a year ago I purchased Creator 2011 Pro with the USB Video attachement. The capture device worked with Composite and S-Vid but the resulting capture had no audio synch. Audio synch was lost after about 30 seconds. I considered this to be completely useless. I then purchased a Canopus ADVC-110 for video capture. The Canopus works great via firewire/DirectShow and either Windows MovieMaker or Open Source capture software but not with Creator. The Canopus product is an ADV DV compliant external hardware digitizer. All it does is pass a DV stream to the computer. While WMM captures video without a problem, Creator 2011 Pro could not recognize the device at all. I finally gave up on using Creator for any video projects.

Recently I chatted with Roxio customer service ("sales"). They assured me that Creator 2012 Pro would work fine with the Canopus. They also assured me that due to bug fixes, the time synch problem was no longer an issue with the USB capture device. I went ahead and upgraded Creator 2011 to 2012. The results are appalling. The USB capture device does not work at all. It only recognizes Composite video and fails to capture a single frame with the error "An unknown capture error occurred." The capture status reports "no signal" after the capture button is pushed, even though it is playing in the preview window and no data is recorded. When I trying to use the Canopus via firewire, Creator immediate throws the error "Failed to setup system components for picture or sound." I ran the driver update that was posted but that failed to install and crashed.

After being assured that this stuff would work flawlessly in 2012 I am extremely dissatisfied not only with the performance of this product but also with the misinformation that I received from your customer service. I can record video from the Canopus to file via Windows MovieMaker, WinDV, VirtualDub and VLC Player no problem. But not from the Roxio capture software, not even from the Roxio USB capture device. I thought I was paying Roxio for something more. So far, Roxio technical support has not provided any information. In fact, as of this posting have not responded at all.

If you bought Creator 2012 directly from Digital River (Roxio) you have 30 days to return it.  Obviously  it won't work for what you want to do.
PC  Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit  
Velocity Micro ProMagix ©HD 60; evga x58 motherboard, Intel i7 @2.93, 12G RAM, EVGA Nvidia 560TI superclocked video card, SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme audio card, Buffalo external blu-ray burner; Creator 2012. PhotoShow 6, VHS to DVD 3Plus.

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#3 ogdens

ogdens

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,079 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:56 AM

View Postlonepine, on 28 October 2011 - 11:43 AM, said:

Also, go here  http://forums.suppor...0631    for a response from Roxio on your previous post.

#4 lonepine

lonepine

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:16 PM

View Postsknis, on 28 October 2011 - 11:52 AM, said:

If you bought Creator 2012 directly from Digital River (Roxio) you have 30 days to return it.  Obviously  it won't work for what you want to do.

According to "sales" it would work. Don't bother responding. Your posts are uninformed, useless and inflamatory. I am getting help elsewhere.

#5 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,579 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:22 PM

View Postlonepine, on 28 October 2011 - 12:16 PM, said:

According to "sales" it would work. Don't bother responding. Your posts are uninformed, useless and inflamatory. I am getting help elsewhere.
Good luck, looking at your other posts, you are more impressed with yourself than you deserve :lol:
Posted Image

#6 lonepine

lonepine

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 11:26 AM

Look who's talkin!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users