• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jacobhb

jacobhb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 11:48 AM

Whenever i want to back up one of my dvds that requires compressing, my computer seems to lose hard drive space. I copy the disk to the hard drive, burn it using popcorn, and then delete the copy on my HD. after that, I would assume that the HD would have the same amount of free space as before it did the burning, but instead it is slightly less (13.5 instead of 15gb free). Does anybody know why this might happen? Is there a temp folder the stores the compressed movie before it burns it?

Any help would be greatly apreciated.
Thanks

#2 hard_timez

hard_timez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 04:42 PM

View Postjacobhb, on Aug 8 2006, 11:48 AM, said:

Whenever i want to back up one of my dvds that requires compressing, my computer seems to lose hard drive space. I copy the disk to the hard drive, burn it using popcorn, and then delete the copy on my HD. after that, I would assume that the HD would have the same amount of free space as before it did the burning, but instead it is slightly less (13.5 instead of 15gb free). Does anybody know why this might happen? Is there a temp folder the stores the compressed movie before it burns it?

Thanks

yes i would like to know aobut this too. i just tried to copy a movie, ran out of hd space (only 8 mb were remaining) so i cancelled the job and shut down popcorn and it still said only 8mb on my hd. restarted the comp and the movie it burned is somewhere hidden on my hd. where does it go? how can i delete it? i went under preferences and it only lets you choose the hd you want to burn it to temporary but wont say which folder. google is no help and the only site points to jacobhb's complaint. c'mon guys, where are these files hidden in my harddrive? hasnt popcorn heard of auto deleting things? i need my space back.

#3 john skinner

john skinner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 12:01 AM

QUOTE (jacobhb @ Aug 8 2006, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks

I was wondering the same thing, so I did some hunting. I opened a new Finder window and switched it to list view. I set the view preferences to calculate all sizes, and I started browsing for 4.x GB of space being taken up.

I am running Mac OS X 10.4.8 on a MacBook Pro 17" Core 2 Duo and Popcorn 2.0.1
Here is where I found it...
/private/var/tmp/folders.501/TemporaryItems/Popcorn__3255037760/VIDEO_TS/

I was able to open this folder with Video LAN Client and it played the movie I just compressed and burned with Popcorn.

I assume that some of the folder names may change randomly as this is a temporary, created on the fly storage area.

To help you get to this folder, you can use Onyx or another utility to show you all the hidden files and folders in the finder.

Let me know if anyone finds out any additional info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users